• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's the Brand NEW oven rule concerning parrots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't seem to find those threads. :(

Could someone clarify? Ensure parrots are in a different building and turn the oven at 400 degrees for 3 hours to rid of any factory/new oven fumes?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would definitely run it for a bit to get all those fumes off. Anything new always gives off a smell. Where will you be taking them?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Miriam. My parrots will be safely tucked away in another building while the oven heats up in another.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I have had to do this with space heaters. I ran them all day. But I would to run the oven at least 4-5 hours :)

copswife30

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I think just moving them to a part of the house that is not close to the kitchen and raise all the windows turn on fans and cut every eye on along with the oven to burn off the new. I do not have a clue how long you should keep it on though, I am sure someone will come along with that info ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure what the rule of thumb is but I will not take any crazy risks. I don't want them anywhere close by. I feel very nervous about this.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
You can always walk outside for about 5 minutes and them come back into the house. That way you will be able to reset your nose (lol) and smell better to see if there are any smells lingering.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alright. I will share my experience.

We moved to our new condo last saturday. The parrots stayed at the old appartment while movers moved all appliances, furniture and heavy boxes to new condo. Once NEW oven was moved in, we turned in on at 450 F for 2.5 hours. During this time we opened all windows and turned all all fans, including rangehood to circulate air. After 2.5 hours we turned the oven off and let it cool down for 30 minutes, then we turned it back on for another 60 minutes at 450 F.

We brought the birds to the new place about 4 hours later and everyone is fine.

While the oven was on there was a slight odor but nothing very offensive or overpowering, nonetheless we did not wish to take any chances so this is why we planned everything this way.:) I hope this post will help someone in the future.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Alright. I will share my experience.

We moved to our new condo last saturday. The parrots stayed at the old appartment while movers moved all appliances, furniture and heavy boxes to new condo. Once NEW oven was moved in, we turned in on at 450 F for 2.5 hours. During this time we opened all windows and turned all all fans, including rangehood to circulate air. After 2.5 hours we turned the oven off and let it cool down for 30 minutes, then we turned it back on for another 60 minutes at 450 F.

We brought the birds to the new place about 4 hours later and everyone is fine.

While the oven was on there was a slight odor but nothing very offensive or overpowering, nonetheless we did not wish to take any chances so this is why we planned everything this way.:) I hope this post will help someone in the future.
Good advice, and very solid safety precautions!

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Since this is an Oven thread. We have a ceramic cook top oven and the oven part is self clean but on the inside of it looks like non-stick so how in the world do I run the self clean option with birds in the house? I am not ready to do this as I have not had my oven long enough for it to get that dirty but I was wondering for future?:confused:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From what I've heard, it is unsafe to run the self clean option on any oven.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since this is an Oven thread. We have a ceramic cook top oven and the oven part is self clean but on the inside of it looks like non-stick so how in the world do I run the self clean option with birds in the house? I am not ready to do this as I have not had my oven long enough for it to get that dirty but I was wondering for future?:confused:

I would say that the self cleaning option should NEVER be used while the parrots are in the house. Jmo. I will never ever use this feature.:)

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
When we bought our new oven we moved the birds to another part of the house and ran the self cleaner for four hours three days in a row before we got rid of all the fumes. That was just so we could put the birds back in the living room without worry. If you clean up any spills and wipe the inside window as messes incur it helps to limit the need to clean the inside. A bit of pain to do each time but after two years I still don't need to clean it. I do however use a lot of tin foil to cover the foods that might splatter in the oven.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Saemma - be sure to run the broiler too. I was told by the rep at the kitchen place that sometimes the heating wires are coated with something to keep them safer during transit. You did the lower elements for the oven, but you have not yet burned off the broiler ones.
I definitely noticed odors when turning my oven on first time, maybe yours is different.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma - be sure to run the broiler too. I was told by the rep at the kitchen place that sometimes the heating wires are coated with something to keep them safer during transit. You did the lower elements for the oven, but you have not yet burned off the broiler ones.
I definitely noticed odors when turning my oven on first time, maybe yours is different.
Want to hear the strange thing about my oven?:huh: There is no bottom element.:D I had no clue and don't pay any mind to any of this stuff. :lol: It is my best friend that pointed it out to me. I think we are good.:D

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
i would also look into a fume hood. my mom purchased an over the oven microwave that has the ability to vent thru charcoal or be hooked up so that it vents all fumes outside. My dad has the one that vents outside but he is in a 1 story house and i am in a 2 story. We opened all the windows also, but mine is also like yours where there is no lower heating element. it even has Bird owner info and concerns section in the manual. i will clean the oven with vinegar and water before i use the self clean option.

Status
Not open for further replies.