• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What veggies are lower in iron?

Manu’s mam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robinlynne
Hi everyone, I’m new here. Manu is my two year old Mitchell’s lorikeet (today is his birthday )

could anyone please tell me what veggies are good to offer lorikeets? I know they should be fed food low in iron. I’ve tried to do research but all I could find was broccoli, figs and turnip greens. There must be more I can offer him. Also would making a “birdie smoothie” be a good way to get him accept vegetables? His diet currently is Neckton nectar, Blessings powder and fruit: blueberries, grapes, watermelon, kiwi and papaya (which he’s not really fond of)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He’s my baby boy and I want to take the best care of him that I can and I feel I can do better.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Vegetables contain non-heme iron which is harder to absorb. And, even vegetables that contain higher concentrations of iron, like spinach, contain oxalates that actually further inhibit iron (and calcium!) absorption.

Foods with polyphenols, phytates or phytic acid also inhibit iron absorption, such as berries, legumes, nuts, seeds, and beans.

Vitamin C actually helps iron absorption, so foods high in Vitamin C should be avoided.

I would say for the most part, you can feed most vegetables without issues. Someone can correct me if I am wrong :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could also look at information for people who need to follow a Hemochromatosis Diet which might give some insight :)

Manu’s mam

Real Name
Robinlynne
Thank you, Mizzely! I will take your advice and do research on vegetables good for people with Hemochromatosis. Once I find veggies that are good I have to find a way to get him to eat them. I was thinking of making a purée out of them and freezing them in a ice cube tray.

Manu’s mam

Real Name
Robinlynne
So I did a little more research and looked for vegetables and fruit high in vitamin C as to avoid them as they help in iron Absorption so they are not the best choice for lorikeets. Guava is very high in vitamin C, so are peppers (sweet and hot). As for berries most are low in iron and impede iron absorption but strawberries are high in vitamin C so they probably should be avoided.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes those high in Vitamin C I would avoid :)