• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do with my mourning lovebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird57

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amy
Hi,
Long story.
My oldest 17 year cockatiel, Coco, recently passed away. I had him since he was newly weaned and he loved me. He followed me everywhere. I had another 17 year old, Bobo, who was a rescue that was best buds with Coco. Mango, my lovebird, joined the flock over 6 years ago. I had taken him in with another lovebird when they were babies. The other lovebird was very aggressive and would attack my cockatiels. I had to give him away.

Coco was my alpha bird. A few years ago, he began to tolerate Mango enough to let him preen him. Needless to say, Mango followed him everywhere. When Coco died, Mango was upset. So he followed Bobo around more. A week and a half after Coco died, Bobo died. Two different causes.

Mango has been lost and confused. I took in a rescue cockatiel, Mojo, two weeks after Bobo died. I have two other rescues, Bingo and Paco. Bingo is afraid of hands and will not come on our hands. He will step on a ladder.I've had him 5 years. Paco was a young one when I got him two years ago. He will come on your hand but doesn't want to be touched. He does not bite.
Before the older ones were gone, Mango was aggressive to these guys. Now he's trying to play nice to find a new buddy. Mojo is so young he tolerates him. But none of these guys walks around on the floor. Mango wants to roam around and go on the play cage that was Bobo's like he did with Coco and Bobo.

Their cages are in our living room. Since I got him, I have been taking Mojo out to sit on me and watch tv. Mango does not come near us any more. Mojo doesn't want me to pet him because he prefers my husband who doesn't spend that much time with him. (It's killing me) Then I take out Paco and we sit with Mojo for a litle while. Than I put them on the play cage. Bingo will fly over and join. He hasn't done that in years because Coco and Mango would chase him away. I tried to see what Mango would do. He chases away Bingo and Paco so I can't have them all on that cage at the same time.

I would love to get a baby that would cuddle with me and be Mango's foraging, play buddy. Mango doesn't readily come on your hand nor does he stay there long when he does. He never has. If we grab him, he will let us pet him for quite a while and never bites. In the morning, he stands on the birds cages and yells and yells. He's been doing this since his buddies passed away. He plays in the other birds cages trying to buddy buddy with them. He tries regurgitating for Mojo. Mojo has started chasing him away. So Mango goes back in his cage and mopes. It's breaking my heart. I miss my crazy little buddy who used hang out by my keyboard on the computer when I had Coco in my l lap. :cool1:

Do I get another hand loved baby cockatiel that can bond to me? I miss that feeling I had with Coco. I'm afraid of getting another lovebird in fear of Mango becoming aggressive and possessive again. I know the new baby would not be afraid of Mango because he's shown how gentle he can be now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aw how incredibly sad..so sorry he lost his friend...in t his case, I am going to say yes..

Mary Danielle Santos

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mary Danielle Santos
I'm so sorry for your losses, but they had a wonderful life! If you get a baby hand fed lovie, that might work as long as you hold them, and maybe Mango will start following that buddy around. You can try with other tiels. I don't know what to say, I'm particular to lovies. Keep us posted!!!

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
your post broke my heart! I would say yes, go ahead and try but of course be ready for it not working out. Hope for the best but be prepared for not so great outcomes.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If you can find a breeder who would let you bring Mango to choose a baby that would probably be the best. You need to make sure that the breeder practices good husbandry and is prepared to provide proof that his birds are healthy. Good Luck.

Ginger

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
:hug8:
I am not that experienced, so I'll defer to everyone else. I just wanted to send some thoughts and love your and Mango's way. That just broke my heart. :hug8:

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about your babies. But it does sound like both you and Mango have something missing in your lives right now. I agree with everyone else. I think you should try a new cockatiel or Lovie. But like Erika said, you always have to be prepared for it not to work out between Mango and the new baby.
Good luck in your decision.

Lovebird57

Real Name
Amy
Mango had a better day today. My husband grabbed him (he won't stay on your finger long) and gave him some scritches this morning. He protests when you first do this and then he loves it. Afterward, he was more vocal and playful.

Tonight I did my usual with Mojo watching tv and working on his affections. Mango came over after an hour and stood above of us on the couch and did his chirp fest. He's definitely drawn to Mojo because he doesn't run away from him. Then he went to what I call the play cage because it has a mirror on top and is in front of a big mirror. It's been the hot spot for years. He was having a grand time performing for himself.:dancing:

I got up to bring Paco over with us. Paco doesn't like to come out of his cage so I've been working on that. He likes Mojo so he'll sit with us. Mojo, Paco and I have been sitting togther on the couch the last few nights. I try to make it longer every night.

Well, Mojo jumped off me on my way back to the couch with Paco. He joined Mango on the play cage which they've done before.(That's them together in the first picture above) Mango was doing the dance and the regurgitate thing for Mojo. Mojo chased him a little but they stood on either side of the mirror admiring themselves. Mojo went through his whole vocal stuff. I tried to put Paco up there but Mango chased him off.

I was glad to see Mango playing again. I will have to work on when I can put Mojo with Paco on the play cage without Mango. Bingo flies over to join them. He's bonded to Paco.
When the old boys were still around, I had to keep Mango in his cage a while so they could come over and get their munchies from us while we ate. He would also put himself away in the evenings before them.

I'd still like to to get baby for me sometime. Hopefully, tomorrow will be even better.:)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sorry, how long have the new Tiels been with you? It doesn't sound like it's been very long. These new guys are still acclimating to your house and to you. To expect them to cuddle and play is unrealistic. Bird time and human time are not the same. 4 months human time ='s about 5 minutes bird time. Give them a chance to settle in and I bet they will turn into the lovebugs your other Tiels were, they are just that kind of bird.

Ginger

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
2 of her tiels have been with her for 2 and 5 years. One is a new rescue.

Sorry for your loss, very sad :(

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss too.SOunds like you have really happy fids though.

Lovebird57

Real Name
Amy
I am ashamed to say that I didn't work much with Bingo or Paco until now. Bingo was found on my back patio by my husband when I was out of town.(I'm a flight attendant--off for months right now due to injury) He went to get him to put in a cage and Bingo latched onto his hand. At least he was able to get him.:rofl:

I taught Bingo to come up on a ladder but he will not come on your hand. He doesn't freak when we put food and water in his cage. He learned by watching our other tiels that we are okay. He is still afraid of hands in the cage. Unfortunately, I've had to medicate my boys a few times since I got Bingo. But I put on gloves for that so he's afraid of the gloves now not so much hands. He was shunned by Coco, Bobo and Mango. He seems to be doing better now that he's the old boy in town!

Paco was found by someone on CL who didn't have a cage for him. He was kept in an upside down bicycle basket. He was very young. I taught him the up command and he will come on your hand. He doesn't like to be touched. He doesn't bite. He does not like to come out of his cage on his own. Bingo kept flying over to his cage until he decided that he wanted to live with Paco. Paco preens Bingo but Bingo won't return the favor.That's where they've been for a couple years.

The hierarchy has changed now that the two older tiels are gone. Paco,Mango and Mojo look up to Bingo. Since I have am home all the time right now, I have the time to work with them more consistantly than when I was working.
I have been working with Mojo since he arrived. I've added time for Paco to play with Mojo away from Bingo. Paco is doing better sitting on me. Bingo still worries when he can't see Paco but last night he settled down quickly.

Last night seemed like a breakthrough for all of them. :) I will not be bringing home a new baby. If this dynamic doesn't work out for Mango, than I'll consider it again.

Thanks for the well wishes. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh I'm soooooo happy to hear that they are all playing nicely together.. :heart: Yay!! :hug8: :hug8: I wish my 2 tiels could do that but oh well.. :rolleyes:

southernbirds

Glad that things are better. This is not the time to bring in a new bird. When their is negativity the new bird will not emotionally thrive. Wait and give it some time. Balance is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.