• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What temps are good for 4+ week old chicks?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
So, when I get chickens, there is a breeder near me who sells pullets ages 4 weeks and older(usually up to 3 months). I was wondering what temperature would be okay for 4-5 weeks old chickens to live outside in a coop(with plenty of bedding and maybe 4-6 chicks total).

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It depends on the breed a bit. Though generally they are fully feathered between 6-10 weeks and no longer require additional heat.

Are you in summer or winter? If it is winter than they may still need some support but if you are in summer or more mild climate you may not need extra heat.

Chickens are more sensitive to heat than cold. Make sure to get a breed that suits your climate. Larger breeds tend to struggle more in very hot climates.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
It depends on the breed a bit. Though generally they are fully feathered between 6-10 weeks and no longer require additional heat.

Are you in summer or winter? If it is winter than they may still need some support but if you are in summer or more mild climate you may not need extra heat.

Chickens are more sensitive to heat than cold. Make sure to get a breed that suits your climate. Larger breeds tend to struggle more in very hot climates.
I will probably get them in February or March, when it will be between 32 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I will probably get them in February or March, when it will be between 32 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
That helps! That is pretty cold. So can you explain what set up you are expecting the dimensions, material and weather protection. I will try and give you the best advice.

The breed type will help also. Silkie or bantams will need some extra support in cold weather.

Generally if your birds are fully feathered they do not require heat even in freezing temperatures. They will fluff up in their house and be just fine. There is also a believe that keeping heat around for the birds during winter discourages them from foraging as they aren't climatised.

If your birds are 5 weeks they may still need a heat source, but you should be very cautious about how you provide the heat. Overheating is a very serious possibility. This is why I feel unable to give general advice without fully understanding your set up idea :)

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
That helps! That is pretty cold. So can you explain what set up you are expecting the dimensions, material and weather protection. I will try and give you the best advice.

The breed type will help also. Silkie or bantams will need some extra support in cold weather.

Generally if your birds are fully feathered they do not require heat even in freezing temperatures. They will fluff up in their house and be just fine. There is also a believe that keeping heat around for the birds during winter discourages them from foraging as they aren't climatised.

If your birds are 5 weeks they may still need a heat source, but you should be very cautious about how you provide the heat. Overheating is a very serious possibility. This is why I feel unable to give general advice without fully understanding your set up idea :)
Not sure about the dimensions(not super big), but a wooden coop. Sorry, I cant really give specific information because the coop was gifted to us and we haven't opened it yet. We may also get older chickens, just because it's easier. When I can figure out more, I will tell you. :D

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
My experience with keeping chickens in cold weather is that they are generally surprisingly hardy. By four weeks old they have definitely reached an age where they need no extra heating indoors. If you are planning to move them to a coop at that time (aka they are fully feathered), I suggest setting up a heat lamp at a distance of about five to six feet from their roost. If you have a small coop, you can place it outside (just get an outdoor clip on fixture) and angle it through the window or through a vent. Turn this on when it gets at or below freezing and they will all huddle under the warmth if they feel cold. But generally, as long as they have a place to get out of cold winds, they will all huddle together in a little pack that keeps them cozy. It really is very high heats that are the most worrisome for chickens. Anything over 95 degrees F and they need REALLY GOOD ventilation going on. Since I live in Texas and it’s constantly over 100 in the summer, half of my coop is made of hardware cloth—I just place boards over it in the winter. Don’t be too worried about cold weather. Just give them a slightly warmer spot on freezing days, and they should be fine. Even when it’s freezing here, my chickens usually don’t even bother going under the heat lamp. All they want it to avoid direct wind and they’re happy.