• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What species???

attar.toor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
attar toor
I’ve been looking for a second parrot to get but I am so overwhelmed what species I should get ahah.
For people that got their macaws (or any parrot) as babies how big of a change were they after puberty, what was your bond like after? How do you keep a strong bond through and after puberty?
I’ve been interested in macaws, cockatoos (galahs, sulfurs), derbyan or alexandrine. If you have any of them tell me what are they like.
I’m looking for more of a companion. I want a cuddle buddy, someone that’ll hang out with me, take free flying with, forms a strong bond. Of course every bird is it’s own individual and you shouldn’t cuddle them but what species do you think is better for me ahah.
I always post these but I love reading about other people and their experience with their feathered kids.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
In all honesty, each bird, no matter the breed, will be different.
While some breeds can be easier to bond with, and others less, no bird will be an exact replica of their species' stereotype.
I think that a cockatoo or galah would be one of the least recommended bird for what you desire out of them, as they're super destructive and their body language is hard to read as they can be explosive.

FOr what you want, I would say a pigeon or dove would probably give all of that. Pigeons are one of the only domesticated bird species, and heavily depend on human interaction and care to thrive.
If not, maybe go for a macaw species?

My green cheek conure, who I got at less than a year old, is currently 2. Our bond is very strong, and I don't believe it's weakening as he's growing, as I continue to play with him, train him and spend time with him.

Also, You can cuddle birds! Spearmint loves cuddling, but just remember to read body language, and only scritch your birds neck and up.