• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of bird is this? <video>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I think the other two birds are Blue-bellied Roller and Golden-breasted Starling. I'm pretty sure of the second not as certain on the first. I searched for Roller species to narrow it down and still not 100%. :shrug:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
On a visit to the National Zoo bird house, I was lucky to get to watch a full display by the Kori Bustard. They are very impressive birds. I was extremely impressed by the strength in their feet and I could just imagine them killing snakes and lizards for lunch.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kori Bustards are pretty cool birds. I remember a vid somewhere of a zoo keeper in the pen with 2 of them and talking about them. He was kneeling on one knee and the bird was staring in his face. Very large! I found this neat vid of one drinking. They kneel to drink.
‪Kori Bustard Kneeling & Drinking‬&rlm; - YouTube

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow! What an amazing bird. What would we all do without Titanis?! :) He's like an instant encyclopedia!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the other two birds are Blue-bellied Roller and Golden-breasted Starling. I'm pretty sure of the second not as certain on the first. I searched for Roller species to narrow it down and still not 100%. :shrug:
The Golden-breasted Starling is 100% correct, but the other I don't think so. I looked at the pictures of them and that was not him. He had a crest, the roller doesn't.
Now it's gonna drive me nuts and I might have to call the zoo. I did look at their site, and he is not one of the ones listed :(

TITANIS

The Golden-breasted Starling is 100% correct, but the other I don't think so. I looked at the pictures of them and that was not him. He had a crest, the roller doesn't.
Now it's gonna drive me nuts and I might have to call the zoo. I did look at their site, and he is not one of the ones listed :(
You're right, I wasn't sure about the first one. I'm pretty certain now it's a White-crested Laughingthrush.

http://www.klein.com/dvk/photos/birds/white_crested_laughing_thrush.jpg

I have a high-res pic of this species if you need further confirmation. :)

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

TITANIS

Yep, that's my friend :D He was so interested in interacting :heart:
Thanks Titanis you saved me a phone call :)
It took longer than I thought it would. I had guessed the family
completely wrong and that had me stumped for a bit. It's a good thing I have most of my bird images categorized in their respective families, otherwise I'd be on google all night long, LOL. Had I known you were that curious, I would have narrowed it down before I left in the afternoon. Glad you know the name of your gorgeous friend! :cool10: :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It took longer than I thought it would. I had guessed the family completely wrong and that had me stumped for a bit. It's a good thing I have most of my bird images categorized in their respective families, otherwise I'd be on google all night long, LOL. Had I known you were that curious, I would have narrowed it down before I left in the afternoon. Glad you know the name of your gorgeous friend! :cool10: :)
I had faith in you :) I was however going to call the zoo tomorrow if it stumped you :)

Here are a couple more beauties I saw that day :heart:

Picture 284.jpg
Picture 291.jpg

One of Corkey and Jasper just because it was in the same album and cute :D:heart:
Picture 365.jpg

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.