• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the name of this bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Our son saw it in our local Zoo but forgot its name. Some kind of a pelican??? Just wondering and would appreciate your help. Thanks.

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
At a guess? A Scarlet Ibis.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you very much for your help.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I thought he looked like a Carlos...

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have to tell our son what names you gave that bird :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He is beautiful! We have had a flock of white Ibis in my neighborhood for about the last 6 months. They are white with a red beak. One day there were three in my backyard. It was so interesting to watch how they probe their beak in the ground.
That bird is a stunning color!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The keepers have to feed them a carotene supplement to keep their color that dark. Same is true of flamingoes. He is a beautiful color, one of the darkest I have ever seen.

Carole, about 9 years ago we started getting cattle egrets, the little white ones, here in central PA for the summer. I love birds and used to go to Florida so I could go birdwatching. Two years after the cattle egrets arrived, the large white egrets arrived in the same area here in Mechanicsburg. Surprised the heck out of me! They hang out in this area until almost the end of October before they fly south. I don't know how many times I have stopped on the back roads to sit and watch the egrets follow behind a cultivator and pick up the soil bugs the machine disturbs. There is a large flock of cattle egrets at the local organic dairy and they follow the cows around all day, often sitting on their backs like you see them do with the wildebeasts and antelope in Africa. A little taste of Africa in central PA.

Now I am just waiting for the ibis and spoonbills to arrive.:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.