• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best Pionus?

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
I was recently wondering between the Blue Headed, Maximillion, Bronze winged, and White capped Pionus, what is the best one? I have been looking to get one of these birds for years and just am wondering what is the best spieces of the pionus to get.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I was recently wondering between the Blue Headed, Maximillion, Bronze winged, and White capped Pionus, what is the best one? I have been looking to get one of these birds for years and just am wondering what is the best spieces of the pionus to get.
I can’t answer that question but here is a fairly recent list of breeders that breed them.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I can’t answer that question but here is a fairly recent list of breeders that breed them.
Also this breeder in Florida is taking banes for waitlists for 3 of the 5 types of Pionus she breeds:

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
Thank you SO much i have been waiting for a response like this much much appreciated

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
A lot of the links on the beauty of birds link seem outdated.
Here’s another source of breeders:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks @April how do i message them?
They will see the notification that I tagged them and will come post on the thread if they wish. You can also click their names to start a conversation

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I don't think there is a "best" pionus, but I'm pretty sure that the most popular species to keep as companions are white capped. I don't think there's any reason for that other than that they are the most commonly bred species and are a bit more colorful.

I hear great things about all species of pionus!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I have always had Maxi Pionus here and usually they are very chill easy going birds who are mostly quiet and self sufficient.
They love to hang out with you and check out what you're doing and get scritches and treats.
Lurch was a used parrot who was mad at the world for taking his person away and then being treated badly by the rest of the family who was stuck with him.
He was quick to bite without warning and just not a happy camper. It took me 5 years to earn his trust and love but we got there and he was quite fond of me and didn't try to bite as fast or hard because he learned I would heed his warnings and not bother him till he was in the mood to hang out with me.
He would fly after me all over the house once we had a understanding with each other and loved Taco Bell and toast.
Nerd bird was my first Maxi and was skinny and shy but he loved and trusted me completely and only bit when hurt or scared.
He loved to finger wrestle and would scream and pretend to bite me like he wanted to kill me and bury me in the back yard, but if I went ouch he'd stop and be mortified that he hurt me.
We had sll kinds of games we'd play like come in the door from work and run at his cage screaming touching bird and try to tap his wings. He scamper across the top of his cage and slide down the back and then chortle to himself and look like you missed me again.
He would be very put out if we didn't do it every work day.
He knew what my car sounded like and would get excited when I was at least two blocks away and knew what time I normally got home.
We grew up together from 78 to 2009.
Now I have Dobby and he's the gentlest Maxi I've ever known. He bluffs a good game but refuses to bite, is very outgoing, and the best acrobatics flyer I've ever had.
He is in love with my sister and rides with her everywhere when he's out. He doesn't hate me and will step up when ever I ask but she's the only one allowed to scritch him or wrestle with him, the same as Nerd used to do.
Nerd was wild caught but didn't fly well and was happy with his lot in life. He spoke wild Pionus and I spoke it back, we understood each other perfectly. He made flock calls and noises no other Maxi I've known make and had a jungle penetrating flock call BUUUWEEP!
Lurch talked and kept learning new words, Dobby has his favorites he announces when he's walking or excited. Dobby, Dobby good boy etc.
I think from what I've seen the Blue head are very similar in attitudes and size to the Maxi and the Maxi is the biggest one.
White heads are smaller and maybe a bit more shy but I know Maximilians and love them.
As you can see each one is their own soul with a unique personality with similarities to each other. :xflove:

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
Sweet im glad to hear that they are pretty much fantastic pets. Although they are on the pricey side of things costing around 2000-2500 dollars.

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
I have always had Maxi Pionus here and usually they are very chill easy going birds who are mostly quiet and self sufficient.
They love to hang out with you and check out what you're doing and get scritches and treats.
Lurch was a used parrot who was mad at the world for taking his person away and then being treated badly by the rest of the family who was stuck with him.
He was quick to bite without warning and just not a happy camper. It took me 5 years to earn his trust and love but we got there and he was quite fond of me and didn't try to bite as fast or hard because he learned I would heed his warnings and not bother him till he was in the mood to hang out with me.
He would fly after me all over the house once we had a understanding with each other and loved Taco Bell and toast.
Nerd bird was my first Maxi and was skinny and shy but he loved and trusted me completely and only bit when hurt or scared.
He loved to finger wrestle and would scream and pretend to bite me like he wanted to kill me and bury me in the back yard, but if I went ouch he'd stop and be mortified that he hurt me.
We had sll kinds of games we'd play like come in the door from work and run at his cage screaming touching bird and try to tap his wings. He scamper across the top of his cage and slide down the back and then chortle to himself and look like you missed me again.
He knew what my car sounded like and would get excited when I was at least two blocks away and knew what time I normally got home.
Now I have Dobby and he's the gentlest Maxi I've ever known. He bluffs a good game but refuses to bite, is very outgoing, and the best acrobatics flyer I've ever had.
He is in love with my sister and rides with her everywhere when he's out. He doesn't hate me and will step up when ever I ask but she's the only one allowed to scritch him or wrestle with him, the same as Nerd used to do.
Nerd was wild caught but didn't fly well and was happy with his lot in life. He spoke wild Pionus and I spoke it back, we understood each other perfectly. He made flock calls and noises no other Maxi I've known make and had a jungle penetrating flock call BUUUWEEP!
Lurch talked and kept learning new words, Dobby has his favorites he announces when he's walking or excited. Dobby, Dobby good boy etc.
I think from what I've seen the Blue head are very similar in attitudes and size to the Maxi and the Maxi is the biggest one.
White heads are smaller and maybe a bit more shy but I know Maximilians and love them.
As you can see each one is their own soul with a unique personality with similarities to each other. :xflove:
Wow That sounds amazing im so glad to know that they are such a fantastic bird and that what i have been hearing from like everyone about them. Quick question though are they a quiet bird in your oppinion?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They are USUALLY quiet, making comments to themselves and whistling but when upset they have a loud annoying KACK, KACK, KACK noise they make. Usually once you answer them or take care of whatever they're upset about they'll stop. But it might just be that you aren't paying attention to them or they want different food or something.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I loved reading this post and learning more about your Pionus. Your language was so descriptive. I could almost visualize some of these interactions, and they made me smile.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
A female Pionus that wants to breed can be very loud, too. Lots of sticking it’s tail in your face and honking. This bird was not subtle.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks for tagging me @April :)

Hi @DaBirdMan

I wrote an article about Pionus as pets for Parrots Magazine which you might be interested in:

They are all much the same. Dusky and White-capped are a little smaller and sources would say a little more feisty. If you want an easy time go for a female. Males can get pretty hormonal ie. aggressive, around breeding time. That doesn’t go for all of them as each bird is an individual and you can certainly get some pretty spicy females too.

I have a Blue-headed male called Kobe. Even though he can be a pain in the a$$ during the breeding months, I wouldn’t change him for anything. He’s a big character. Usually very quiet.

Here he is a couple of weeks ago ‘helping’ me get the Amazons up…

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
i did hear that but males having hormones are Even Louder so i am going for a female

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
Thanks @Fuzzy i will read your artical and watch the video aswell. Where did you get your pionus?