• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is barbering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have raised birds for over 30 yrs and bred birds for 15 yrs. In all that time I have never had a plucker or chewer. So, I hate to sound dumb, being that I'm experienced, but what is barbering? How is it different then plucking? What does it look like?

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Toc barbers :)

Its when they don't pull the feather out, but chew it off. You can see how it looks in my siggie. See how fluffy he is? I'll post more pics, hold on..

Attachments

Last edited:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Dakota barbered her feathers:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, now I understand. Great pics everyone and informative. Thanks so much. Judy

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Barbering is when they chew the feather part of the feather off and leave the shaft.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Great pictures everyone. That makes it really clear.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Now i am confused.. Toc doesn't barber? i was told thats what he does.. he doesn't leave the shaft, just chews em right off.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just curious ... what would make a bird barber?
Stress, anxiety, too small of an environment, not enough enrichment, loneliness, over clipping. Just to name a few. :(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Now i am confused.. Toc doesn't barber? i was told thats what he does.. he doesn't leave the shaft, just chews em right off.
That's one kind of barbering. The main difference is that pluckers pull the shaft out of the skin, barberers don't. They'll chew and break off the feathers, even parts of the shaft, but the base of the shaft is still there in the skin.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
ohhhhh! Thanks for asking this question because I too was curious! And thanks for answering with pics :highfive:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Great question and thread. thanks for the information Bonnie, I am learning so much from this site, wonderful.

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
Wow, apparently I have a bird that does this. My Golden Conure has done this to only one side of her feathers on her wings. Unfortunately, they are known for being pluckers so I actually considered myself lucky that she wasn't plucking. I had a problem with over clipping, perhaps that is why. I'm going to check out that link and investigate this a bit more. Learn something new every day!

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
Ok, I have a follow up question after reading that article. I do not use artificial light or a humidifier. I bathe my birds regularly but I think humidifier, now that the furnace is on, would be helpful. How many of you use artificial light?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am grateful for this thread too. i didn't know the difference between barbering and plucking. I have never seen my birds do either plucking or barbering, but I have seen Autumn pull her tail feathers around and groom them. Today I took her in the shower with me and noticed that one of her tail feathers is barbered:confused: I just noticed it today and so now I am a little worried. She forages, plays, climbs around, gets training sessions.....I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad I opened this thread. I have learned so much. We have increased misting, humidifier is turned up. Dexter has plenty to pay with but is just nt a playful bird as far as toys go. However he enjoys foraging and foot toys so I have increased them. Keeping and eye on him and hoping it doesn't get any worse. Thanks for all the help and informative sites. Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.