• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What if he doesn't want to come home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Is that possible? I wouldn't think so, but my husband and mother keeps asking me this and my mother keeps saying that I may need to accept the fact that he's happy. He always loved his bathes and it hasn't rained since he's been out there, he loves veggies and fruits (remember the mash picture?) so where is he getting those, and when he gets frightened he comes to look for me.

Do all those things cancel out the freedom of being outside?

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
Every lost pet bird wants to come home. They just can't find their way home.
If they are lucky, they can survive for a while. My Snoopy, a budgie, was flying around with sparrows and followed them to bird feeders. Birds do what they have to do to survive.
I had budgies escape twice in my life, and both times I got them back.
I hope for a happy end for you too. :hug8:

Sigrid

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Oh Sigrid! I could kiss you! You have made me truly happy! Thank you so much!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You are what he knows and loves. He's doing what he needs to now to survive. You have a very strong-willed little boy out there. Don't let him down by getting discouraged. :hug5:

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
This sounds just like my situation Sherry. It's certainly hard when family tells you to let go and move on. Like everyone told me only you can decide what your heart wants to do.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I agree with Sigrid, yes parrots are wild animals but our birds (most of them) are domestically bred. He just doesnt know how to get captured..at least he is being seen so you know he is alive and getting food and water.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He has nothing to gain and so much to lose, by being lost. He doesnt have others of his own kind, or human interaction. He doesnt have the food he is used to eating.

Dont give up:hug8:If your close to towns, he may have flown to them. Post flyers in nearby towns.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
of course he wants to come home he's just having a little trouble getting there. Keep your spirits up and we're all praying for you and him.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I know he wants to come home. He just hasn't been able to make his way yet.

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
No way.... There is no way that Li'l Joey would NOT want to come back home..... not possible. He's just a little lost at the moment. He's still asking for directions and as soon as one of the little sparrows gives him the correct ones, he'll be back home and singing and chirping away.

I can only imagine how difficult this may be, knowing that your baby is all alone and frightened out there. Don't lose hope though..... you need to have faith that Joey will come back.
:hug8: :hug8:

deehayston

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dee Hayston
I so hope that you will find him....They are frightened at first and just go crazy as a child would just so out of "the familiar", there's no intelligence kicking in at first..just fear...and this huge world but...he will do his best to survive..and instinct will help...
Please do not give up and please if you haven't already..check out this url to give you some more ideas of how to spread the word that you have a loved one out there!!
This is one of my favorite informational urls on bringing a lost one back home
Lost Bird? Don't Panic

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sure that a part of him misses your companionship because this is all he has ever known. I doubt that another birdie is giving him scritches the way his Momma does. The freedom is fine at the beginning, but by this time ,I'm sure he he misses all that stuff he remembers about home. I don't think it's easy for a companion pet to *find themselves all of a sudden* in the wild. After the intial high of being "free" there are so many factors they have to deal with. They have to weather the elements, stay clear of danger, search for food AND WATER, etc. They haven't been taught those skills. They also need companionship. Even if they find food, I doubt they ever find in abundance or enough to feel fully satisfied the way they're used to in our homes. Out there, it's the strongest, fittest and fastest who survives. If he hasn't already been found by somebody, he is definitely in survival mode. I would try very Hard not give up hope if I were in your shoes.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.