• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What I feared has come to pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I am quickly cured of MBS.

The dynamics of bringing in a new bird...this is what I worried about when I decided to get Ollie.

Gertie and Sam Mealy had a nice detente going. No love lost, but peaceful coexistence. They could both be out when I was home without any problems.

Add Ollie to the mix...Ollie and Sam Mealy are doing great, just as I had predicted. They enjoy each other's company as they are both mellow. But Gertie is acting up. She (with her flying skills) will often bomb dive on their back and fly away. She doesn't mean to hurt them, just annoy them and scare them. She resents him because he is such a needy bird.

I'm getting pressure from my family to clip Gertie back a little, which I do NOT want to do. But it is she who is causing everyone grief, and they say if she couldn't fly as well as she does, she wouldn't be after them so much.

Recently, their out time has been cut. When she is out, the other two are in. When they are in, she is out. This has been tough on all of us. They all want to be out of course, and she looks at me begging to come out, not understanding. She has always had the run of the house when I am home, and she is not happy to be caged.

What would you do?

I should say that it is not always this way. Especially on the weekends, when I am more patient and have more time, I can work around having them all out at once. It takes some work and diligence on my part, but it's not impossible. I'm hoping things will ease up a bit with Gertie, and not get worse. It has been hard on her, and for this I feel so sad.

Sorry for the long post.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
So she can't even come out in a monitored environment with them?
*hugs* I know it can be hard.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
So she can't even come out in a monitored environment with them?
*hugs* I know it can be hard.
Yes, as I mentioned on weekends and when I have more time, they can all be out. But I must be focused on them. I can WILL her to be nice but it takes all my energy and focus.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
How long have you had Ollie now? How old is everyone. I would think that as the years go on, things will mellow and Gertie will be more relaxed and stop causing grief. Could you put up netting like someone else (can't remember who) did to keep the flighted ones from pestering each other?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

In my opinion..and I am pro flight I would clip her. If it is interfering with out of cage time due to her flying and dive bombing..i would clip and hope maybe in time she will be able to regrow and maintain a peaceful existence with the flock. Just my opinion.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
How long have you had Ollie now? How old is everyone. I would think that as the years go on, things will mellow and Gertie will be more relaxed and stop causing grief. Could you put up netting like someone else (can't remember who) did to keep the flighted ones from pestering each other?
I've had Ollie for a couple of months now, and he will be 5 years old tomorrow! Years!!?! Must I wait years?!!:mad: Netting would not be a solution. It would make her mad, I'm sure. THe problem is they all want to hang out where I am.

In my opinion..and I am pro flight I would clip her. If it is interfering with out of cage time due to her flying and dive bombing..i would clip and hope maybe in time she will be able to regrow and maintain a peaceful existence with the flock. Just my opinion.
That does seem to be a fix...but I can't imagine the look on Gertie's face after the deed is done. I can't reallly consider it as an option...at least, I don't want to. SHe would be so unhappy.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Monica,
As you know, clipped wings do grow back. If you clip correctly, she will still be able to steer and go short distances. If she has to work a bit harder to get to Ollie and Sam, maybe it wouldn't be worth it enough to her after a time, and by the time she regrows her feathers they will get along better...:huh:?

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Monica,
As you know, clipped wings do grow back. If you clip correctly, she will still be able to steer and go short distances. If she has to work a bit harder to get to Ollie and Sam, maybe it wouldn't be worth it enough to her after a time, and by the time she regrows her feathers they will get along better...:huh:?
Maybe so.
I wish she could play the "This or That" game.

To be clipped a bit and out all the time, or have the full use of your skills but caged more of the time?

I honestly don't know which she would choose.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I had to give a tiny little trim to Newman for that exact issue. He got out of the habit and hasn't tried since.
And does he have full flight capabilities now? And after growing back, the relationship is better?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Will Gertie fly and attack them if Ollie is in the cage and Sam outside the cage?

Perhaps make sure they are as far apart as possible. So if thats in the same room, make them on different sizes of the room.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Perhaps Gertie still needs time to get used to both the newer birds.:hug8:

I, personally, would give it time. As coexistence can take many full moons for the individuals to come to an agreement.:hug8:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Will Gertie fly and attack them if Ollie is in the cage and Sam outside the cage?

Perhaps make sure they are as far apart as possible. So if thats in the same room, make them on different sizes of the room.
All the birds hang around me, and that's what the trouble is. Everyone is flighted so unless they are in their cages, they will fly to where I am. This is where the trouble is. Gertie doesn't like Ollie hanging around.

Gertie is perfectly happy with Ollie if he is far away. But Ollie is very needy and likes to be with people.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

And does he have full flight capabilities now? And after growing back, the relationship is better?
The relationship is still not good. But he isn't as fixated on flying at Bea/Kiwi/Duncan and DH anymore. He is great flyer, a tiny clip and he still flies down the stairs, sofa to sofa. He just isn't as powerful. The feathers come back one by one. He didn't even really notice.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Monica,

I'm sorry you're sad:hug8: If they are all on stands by you, will she still do it? What if they are on playstands and all close by but not on the same playstands?

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Perhaps Gertie still needs time to get used to both the newer birds.:hug8:
I, personally, would give it time. As coexistence can take many full moons for the individuals to come to an agreement.:hug8:
She never used to pick on Sam Mealy at all, but recently she has.

It's just taught me how much a new addition can affect the whole dynamics of things. I suspected this might happen. I've had Gertie since she was a baby and she is very domineering and selfish and quite a handful, though I love her to death. Perhaps it was foolish of me to risk getting another bird. But of course, we love Ollie so much, and he is a gem, and NOT a handful in the least. Neither is Sam Mealy.

It's hard on everyone, and no one's fault but mine.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
The relationship is still not good. But he isn't as fixated on flying at Bea/Kiwi/Duncan and DH anymore. He is great flyer, a tiny clip and he still flies down the stairs, sofa to sofa. He just isn't as powerful. The feathers come back one by one. He didn't even really notice.
Hmmm, something to think about. Thanks: )

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I am very sorry you are going threw this. I have been there myself. Not many people could understand the amount of worrying I did over this. Luca and Zoe can coexist peacefully. No love lost, but no harassing. When I added Jack it became impossible. Luca will dive bomb him or fly to where I am feeding him etc because he is jealous. He had to get a soft clip. For about one day he pouted, and then he was back to being his hilarious little self. Then it was Zoe's turn. She was relentless with flying to Jack's cage, his playstand, and trying to pick a fight. I felt the same way you do. I absolutely did not want to clip her, I worried it would change her personality, but in the end, for her safety I had to do it. I am hoping as they grow in she will adjust a little bit. I have to tell you her personality didn't change at all, and she can still fly, she just has to work harder for it, so it isn't worth the work to get the whole way across the room to Jack when she can fly to the kitchen to me. Just like your situation, it was affecting their out of cage time, and I just didn't like seeing them in the cage more and more. I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your fids. It is hard none the less. :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Gertie is perfectly happy with Ollie if he is far away. But Ollie is very needy and likes to be with people.

Perhaps Gertie feels Ollie is taking you away from her?

I understand that Ollie is a very needy bird, but do you think you are reinforcing the jealous feelings by handling Ollie all the time, and having him near you and not Gertie?

I know from cockatoos, that they are deemed "needy" but if positively reinforced they can enjoy playing, and being alone or with the rest of the flock.

Its not the amount of attention, but the kind of attention that counts:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.