• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What have I got myself into??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can anyone help with advice for new aviary wire please?
Everyone here who makes outdoor aviaries (that I have seen) seems to use galvanised wire, I guess because SS would be hard to find but also very expensive and also because most aviary birds seem to climb and hang from the wire much less than birds in smaller cages do.
Can anyone help with the information I need to make sure it is not only the right size and strength wire I get but also something that will not cause him problems with metal toxicity.
I will post a pic of the new aviary and also try to post one of the aviary he is currently in.
D967C328-1805-4DCC-A9E4-AC71234E5C3A.png
New aviary :)
BB5AC525-87E3-451E-93B5-DE755F67E129.png
Current aviary.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I cannot believe I'm this late to this thread. It appears I saw your original post and liked it but never responded. :facepalm:

Congratulations on being able to take in Barry! :starshower1: I'm super happy and excited for you now that you will be able to move into the new house and also take in Barry. I'm sure he, along with Burt, will just love everything you're going to do for them in that new home. Barry is quite a handsome boy for sure, and is going to be in a lovely home. :heart:

A little while back (before I joined AA), I was looking into materials needed for building an outdoor aviary as I was looking into it as something we could do for the budgies. I searched forever online trying to find as much information on galvanized wire but heard many different things. I know people really recommend stainless steel first if one can afford it and find it. Several places I read said galvanized wire works because, like you said, they don't have much reason to cling to the bars a ton so it's not as big of a deal. Most of the people who said galvanized was fine also said that it would need to be scrubbed several times a year with vinegar to kind of neutralize the toxic metals. Not sure if this is correct, but personally to me that sounds scary that you have rely on some vinegar to keep your bird(s) from coming into contact with zinc. Then some other people said galvanized was not okay, so I've just been confused by it all ever since. :shrug: I kind of gave up on it at the time because I realized that it probably wasn't the right time for me to try something like that especially if I can't even be sure of what is safe and not. I really hope that you can find the right wire for the aviary soon and that someone else here can help you. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Going to :bump8: this thread up so that hopefully others will see it and you can get the information you need. :)
Thanks, I did not think of :cool:doing that! If I need to I will start a new thread or go hunting around as there is bound to be the information in a thread somewhere on this site :)