• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What have I done??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
:mad:Aaarrgghh! So, often in boredom I search through Kijiji looking at all things really - furniture, free stuff etc. Today I made the mistake of going into the Birds For Sale section....there is a woman trying to sell a 9 month old Congo African Grey named Pepsi as her son has suddenly developed allergies to him/her. The face on this baby is PRICELESS and I have literally fallen in LOVE:heart:! As you may or may not know I have a deposit on a baby IRN, due to arrive in June:laughing12:. I have always wanted this IRN and was acutally encouraged to go ahead with the addition of one to our family by friendly people here when I was doubting myself.....
I always really liked CAG's as well but thought them to be fairly unattainable. But seeing this babys face has seriously got me all worked up, she is the sweetest thing I think Ive ever seen:D! And some of their photos show her being handled by their children so I know she's fairly tame at the moment.....I imagine owning a CAG is quite different than owning an IRN......aaahh Im all torn up inside!

I took the step to make her an offer, though I could never pay what she's asking ($1600.00 for bird and cage - probably reasonable) and I will wait to see what kind of response I get back......Im all worked up! LOL

I just had to share with SOMEONE as the excitement/anxiousness is eating me up......if she declines, I'll let it go and continue waiting for my baby IRN and pretend it never happened....I just HAD to try as something in her eyes spoke to my soul! (I must sound CRAZY!) LOL:hehe:

Heres a photo of Pepsi

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
I went through that with Kaylee on CL! And the whole time I was wondering if it was a real ad, real people, all that. I had planned on getting a GCC, my fave smaller bird. but the more I chatted through e-mail's with Kaylee's Mom, the better the situation sounded. I almost backed out so many times! When I finally saw her IRL, I started crying, LOL! Her family were really nice people, too.

I hope it goes well for you! She looks like a sweetie!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
She is SUPER cute! The add says she is 9 months old, which is the only reason I would feel comfortable taking her (she's young and I fear an older bird would have too many phycological issues that Im not experienced enough to handle).

I never considered the add may be a fake.....its been up for a while according to the add date, and they paid extra to have it be advertised at the top of the page each day.....I still havent heard back :(

My tummy is all in nots, I have to get myself together here, LOL
...hahaha I tend to be an emotionally charged person, LOL

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Well, the woman declined my offer, and added a snarky email along with it.
I tried to explain that my low offer was low because I didnt want her cage (it was soooooo small) and that I was going to buy a used Prevue Macaw Cage from another lady on Kijiji for a small amount but still had to consider it in my budget. I figured that her primary goal was ending her sons suffering as a result of his allergy to the bird, and her secondary goal was finding a good home for her baby. But in the end she just wants to recoup all her costs and would not budge.
Im a little sad as I could have given Pepsi a good home, but maybe I was in over my head taking in a CAG when I was originally out for an IRN.

Heres her add if your curiouse.
African Grey parrot (congo) 1600.00obo - Calgary Birds for Sale - Kijiji Calgary

But NOW, the woman who was going to sell me the Macaw Cage for Pepsi if it worked out has told me about another rehome CAG that she really wants me to consider.
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-bir...d-parrot-owner-loving-home-W0QQAdIdZ195902907

Apparently she was going to take this guy in but ended up with an emergency surrender that filled all her cages (I think she runs a makeshift rescue type thing).
She had been corresponding with the owner back and forth, and feels I would be a good fit, even though it would be my first parrot. I dont know how I feel about taking on an older bird, with plucking issues, but she has deffinatly played to my heart strings.

Am I getting in over my head???
I asked her to send me pics of the cage and tell me what she's been feeding him and told her I have kids and dogs and we will see.
\What do you all think?? In other posts I have said I would never recommend one my clients take on a rescue dog without experience with dogs and I thought of birds the same way but am I being silly??? Could I do this???

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, you could do it..your heart is in the righ tplace

Lex123

You could do it :)

Any bird can be worked with, no matter the age.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, the woman declined my offer, and added a snarky email along with it.
I tried to explain that my low offer was low because I didnt want her cage (it was soooooo small) and that I was going to buy a used Prevue Macaw Cage from another lady on Kijiji for a small amount but still had to consider it in my budget. I figured that her primary goal was ending her sons suffering as a result of his allergy to the bird, and her secondary goal was finding a good home for her baby. But in the end she just wants to recoup all her costs and would not budge.
Im a little sad as I could have given Pepsi a good home, but maybe I was in over my head taking in a CAG when I was originally out for an IRN.

Heres her add if your curiouse.
African Grey parrot (congo) 1600.00obo - Calgary Birds for Sale - Kijiji Calgary

But NOW, the woman who was going to sell me the Macaw Cage for Pepsi if it worked out has told me about another rehome CAG that she really wants me to consider.
African Grey Parrot (needs experienced parrot owner/loving home) - Calgary Birds for Sale - Kijiji Calgary

Apparently she was going to take this guy in but ended up with an emergency surrender that filled all her cages (I think she runs a makeshift rescue type thing).
She had been corresponding with the owner back and forth, and feels I would be a good fit, even though it would be my first parrot. I dont know how I feel about taking on an older bird, with plucking issues, but she has deffinatly played to my heart strings.

Am I getting in over my head???
I asked her to send me pics of the cage and tell me what she's been feeding him and told her I have kids and dogs and we will see.
\What do you all think?? In other posts I have said I would never recommend one my clients take on a rescue dog without experience with dogs and I thought of birds the same way but am I being silly??? Could I do this???
I'm sorry about Pepsi's owner. So many of the ads on CL and Kijiji are just people wanting to make money.

I think you should meet the other grey. I have a White Fronted Amazon named Merlin. I would never, ever, ever have considered an amazon. I mentioned to another rescuer that if she came across a white capped pionus I would love to be considered and she mentioned that she has this WFA and I should come and meet him. I said I didn't think so and she said he was older (30 to 40 years old), has a bad food, and is quiet. I went and met him and agreed to foster him and fell in love with him and made the decision to adopt him permanently after 2 weeks. If I hadn't met him he may never have been adopted.

It is a lot more work for me than it was before. He HAS to have his fresh food every day. When I go away to a dog show or something it is a lot more work for my husband to care for my birds, but it's totally worth it. He is so happy and he despite some health problems he looks great. So, I think you should meet the bird and see what you think. Maybe he is the one:heart:

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Kim,
Toby, my CAG, was my first parrot
and I haven't had a moment of regret.
He is sweet and sensitive and is really
in tune to me. I did get him as a baby
but had a friend that got a rehome adult
that was the same way. They require a commitment
from you, but all parrots do.
Good luck.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I agree with going and meeting him. If you are commited and can work with him then you'll be okay. :hug8:

Please keep us updated, IMO I think you could give him a great home, you sound like you're very willing. :)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thanks for the encouragement :) I will try to arrange a meet-up with her.
I guess I was just worried that I wouldnt quite know how to help him overcome his plucking issues - Im currently reading "Winging It" By Jenny Gardiner and that books speaks of all kinds of horrible plucking horrors her grey experienced (seemingly as a result of her lack of knowledge for care) but Im sure reading up on it and being attentive would be just as effective as starting out with a baby and working with it the same way.
My only real fear beyond that would be how an older grey will re-act toward children. My IRN has been exposed since birth at the breeders, and the CAG I was originally trying to get (Pepsi) was around children and handled by chilrdren. This guy may have issues with it....I'll have to speak with the woman.

The only other undesireable thing (my husband came up with) is that it will repeat words in strangers voices, which might be creepy! LOL Just Kidding.....Kind of! LOL

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
Thanks for the encouragement :) I will try to arrange a meet-up with her.
I guess I was just worried that I wouldnt quite know how to help him overcome his plucking issues - Im currently reading "Winging It" By Jenny Gardiner and that books speaks of all kinds of horrible plucking horrors her grey experienced (seemingly as a result of her lack of knowledge for care) but Im sure reading up on it and being attentive would be just as effective as starting out with a baby and working with it the same way.
My only real fear beyond that would be how an older grey will re-act toward children. My IRN has been exposed since birth at the breeders, and the CAG I was originally trying to get (Pepsi) was around children and handled by chilrdren. This guy may have issues with it....I'll have to speak with the woman.

The only other undesireable thing (my husband came up with) is that it will repeat words in strangers voices, which might be creepy! LOL Just Kidding.....Kind of! LOL

Something to think about.... even if you have a birdie since weaning, that doesn't guarentee it will do well with kiddos either.
I know it seems that if you get them younger you can mold their behavior, but sometimes birds aren't tolerant of children no matter what you do. Sometimes they just "are the way they are" no matter what you do.
The best idea would be to meet the bird, make a list of your questions and seriously "interview" the owner. If you are told the bird is good with kids- see if they can give you references that you can call to verify that (friends that visit that have children, ect). Just do your homework about the species also.
While independantly some greys are sweet and cuddly- for the most part they are very independant birds.
Good luck to you!! I think greys are fabulous birds and you sound like you would be a great momma!!!

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
This is great news ! Of course you can do it. All it takes is care and love....birds understand that . I have a Two adult birds that are rehomes and they are as loving as my baby that I purchased.
I really feel bad for the birds of the owners who try to recoup all the money they put into them because they may miss the best home for them. But anyhow . The second bird will be so lucky if you get him right!

Oh and you know what, my Amazon spoke in a different voice when he arrived ,but now he speaks in my voice an dis trying to speak in my husbands really deep voice. It's really funny.

Good Luck !!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Something to think about.... even if you have a birdie since weaning, that doesn't guarentee it will do well with kiddos either.
True, True! I am completely prepared for the possiblity than my baby IRN wont take to my kids at all, or even a rehome of any species. Doesnt mean I wont try! LOL Though my children are young, they have a very healthy respect for animals and are very educated as to what is and isnt appropriate behavior as I work in the industry and often expose them to strangers pets. I have hopes that even if the bird doesnt LOVE my children , he/she will at the very least tolerate them and not pull out all its feathers due to their presence. .......I dont know, its alot to think about.

I know one thing for sure, My kids deffinatly would not be banging the cage, poking the bird, and terrorizing in other fashions!

Yes, I am currently having trouble arrangeing a meeting with this woman as she is claiming to be having computer trouble....?? and I havent been able to extract a telephone number for her. :(
We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for everyones encouragement! I feel much more confident about the possibility of taking this on, though as you've mentioned I will deffinatly interview the woman with regards to diet and care and everything else so Im completely prepared to take on anything that may come with the bird. I am fairly familiar with the species though, as they have always been a favorite of mine.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Just my personal opinion...$1600 is crazy for a rehomed Grey. I don't care what he comes with! My baby grey was only $1200 and I got her at 14 weeks old! And as for a cage you can find a very decent cage for a CAG for $400.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I say go for it!!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Just my personal opinion...$1600 is crazy for a rehomed Grey. I don't care what he comes with! My baby grey was only $1200 and I got her at 14 weeks old! And as for a cage you can find a very decent cage for a CAG for $400.
AGREED! Thank You! Jeez, I was feeling guilty over saying no as I truly think Pepsi would have benefited from being with us, but that did seem a little high considering I could get one brand new for less. I just couldnt convince myself to part with that much money even though Im sure Pepsi would have been worth it. And yes, I had found a Prevue Macaw cage on Kijiji for $500.00 so I would have been set. Did you look at the ad? The cage she had Pepsi in was really tiny. (Sorry if someone has a CAG in that same cage, I can just provide more space than that for sure!!!)

Oh well, she said no and I had to let her go :(
But now maybe this other one.......we will see....

Status
Not open for further replies.