• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does it eat?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most of yalls wildlife doesn't bother me I grew up loving Steve Irwin so I saw many of yalls native creatures but I absolutely can't do those massive Spiders yall have.. um Huntsmans? That's a hard nope see ya later I can't stand any spider no matter the size but those are just *shudders*
But I'd give anything to see a male Red Kangaroo in person! I know they can literally eviscerated you with their deadly feet but I just can't get over how majestic they look.
I've seen video of a big Roo smashing in someone's sliding glass door cause he thought his reflection was a rival but it was amazing to see.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ugh Steve Irwin- what an absolute embarrassment :(. I’m really amazed how many from the US love him :roflmao: I didn’t watch much of him at all and I don’t know of any others here who did either- I won’t say much more than that lmao.

Huntsman spiders are actually the last spider I can think of that is worth worrying about hehe….

http://instagr.am/p/CF3hZhtlGer/
They’re fairly placid and really very harmless!

Had a friend beaten up and kind of molested by a male red roo, he was lucky I guess you could say :laugh: They’re definitely not to be messed with at times, absolutely huge and solid muscle- seen many cars destroyed after a collision with a big roo.

I understand disliking things because of how they look or the thoughts that they make you think… there’s a few things about that really gross me out and my behaviour when I see them is totally irrational.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ugh Steve Irwin- what an absolute embarrassment :(. I’m really amazed how many from the US love him :roflmao: I didn’t watch much of him at all and I don’t know of any others here who did either- I won’t say much more than that lmao.

Huntsman spiders are actually the last spider I can think of that is worth worrying about hehe….

Had a friend beaten up and kind of molested by a male red roo, he was lucky I guess you could say :laugh: They’re definitely not to be messed with at times, absolutely huge and solid muscle- seen many cars destroyed after a collision with a big roo.

I understand disliking things because of how they look or the thoughts that they make you think… there’s a few things about that really gross me out and my behaviour when I see them is totally irrational.
I have heard that before that a lot of Aussies weren't fond of Steve but for him to be embarrassing makes me sad. He was and always will be my childhood hero,I still tear up sometimes when I watch his shows.
But if he wasn't someone's cup of tea that's OK too,I mean nothing rude in my comment.

It's just their size that really upsets me no spider that can get in people's houses should be allowed to be that big!
Yikes your poor friend I certainly don't envy him! I imagine them to be a bit like our deer here in regards to car collisions.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Who doesn’t want to discover large huntsman spiders in random places?
We often leave them to roam the house till someone’s can be bother/have the courage to take them outside :roflmao: They make rather interesting wall decorations:lol:

But yeah they’re fairly harmless, I have more of an issue with red backs then Huntsmans.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We often leave them to roam the house till someone’s can be bother/have the courage to take them outside :roflmao: They make rather interesting wall decorations:lol:

But yeah they’re fairly harmless, I have more of an issue with red backs then Huntsmans.
Ooh what's a Red back? I haven't heard of that species of Spider. Is their bite more deadly?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have heard that before that a lot of Aussies weren't fond of Steve but for him to be embarrassing makes me sad. He was and always will be my childhood hero,I still tear up sometimes when I watch his shows.
But if he wasn't someone's cup of tea that's OK too,I mean nothing rude in my comment.

It's just their size that really upsets me no spider that can get in people's houses should be allowed to be that big!
Yikes your poor friend I certainly don't envy him! I imagine them to be a bit like our deer here in regards to car collisions.
I’m sorry- Embarrassing was the politest or least offensive way I could put it. I think it’s terribly sad how many times I hear Americans say he was their childhood hero- many kids here weren’t even allowed to watch him as his behaviour was rather questionable. I don’t mean to upset you but I am embarrassed and ashamed to think how many people just automatically think of him right alongside Australia- I can guarantee you’ll not meet anyone here that behaves or speaks like he did unless they’re imitating him.

We do have some really interesting and awesome wildlife here.

Them and whitetails! We found a huge red back this morning protecting her eggs…. She’s dead now.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ooh what's a Red back? I haven't heard of that species of Spider. Is their bite more deadly?

much much smaller than huntsman spiders but these are spiders that most kill if they see- huntsman spiders will often be moved to a safer room in your house or the shed to keep eating other bugs but no one wants these red backs or the whitetail spiders in their homes.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Them and whitetails! We found a huge red back this morning protecting her eggs…. She’s dead now.
I can’t stand red backs! Can barely bring myself to kill them, as that’s far too close for me!
Also slightly embarrassing but I can’t stand the sight of the their dead bodies either, I don’t know why. Often they get burials just so I don’t have to see them :shy:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry- Embarrassing was the politest or least offensive way I could put it. I think it’s terribly sad how many times I hear Americans say he was their childhood hero- many kids here weren’t even allowed to watch him as his behaviour was rather questionable. I don’t mean to upset you but I am embarrassed and ashamed to think how many people just automatically think of him right alongside Australia- I can guarantee you’ll not meet anyone here that behaves or speaks like he did unless they’re imitating him.

We do have some really interesting and awesome wildlife here.

Oh it's OK you haven't upset me,just because I'm rather fond of him doesn't mean I can't accept that he wasn't as perfect as I thought he was. I'm genuinely curious as to why so many Australians feel this way about him.
He just seemed to have such a zest for life and of course being so passionate about animals and their conservation. But it's also different not being on the same continent as him I suppose so I only saw and knew what was shown on the shows.
I've watched a few other shows in Australia like Vets on the Beach ect and like you said I haven't seen anyone else act like him but I just always thought of him as a one of a kind guy I just loved his passion and enthusiasm and the wide variety of animals I was exposed too and was excited to learn about thanks to him. He will always be my hero and I'll always be sad that his life was cut so tragically short in such a brutal and unexpected way:(
I feel like his son Robert is very like him in several ways he sounds just like him at times it's spooky.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t stand red backs! Can barely bring myself to kill them, as that’s far too close for me!
Also slightly embarrassing but I can’t stand the sight of the their dead bodies either, I don’t know why. Often they get burials just so I don’t have to see them :shy:
Lol. I do actually recall you telling me this now you’ve mentioned it again :roflmao:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

much much smaller than huntsman spiders but these are spiders that most kill if they see- huntsman spiders will often be moved to a safer room in your house or the shed to keep eating other bugs but no one wants these red backs or the whitetail spiders in their homes.
Oooh I wondered with that name if they may have been some relatives to the Black Widow.. no thanks!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Woah wait a sec was this in your actual car!? Gah how did he get in there and how did you get him out?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh it's OK you haven't upset me,just because I'm rather fond of him doesn't mean I can't accept that he wasn't as perfect as I thought he was. I'm genuinely curious as to why so many Australians feel this way about him.
He just seemed to have such a zest for life and of course being so passionate about animals and their conservation. But it's also different not being on the same continent as him I suppose so I only saw and knew what was shown on the shows.
I've watched a few other shows in Australia like Vets on the Beach ect and like you said I haven't seen anyone else act like him but I just always thought of him as a one of a kind guy I just loved his passion and enthusiasm and the wide variety of animals I was exposed too and was excited to learn about thanks to him. He will always be my hero and I'll always be sad that his life was cut so tragically short in such a brutal and unexpected way:(
I feel like his son Robert is very like him in several ways he sounds just like him at times it's spooky.
So many of us feel that way because the guy was a complete tool and treated animals horribly all for fame and catchy footage.
I honestly think the only unexpected part of his death was the actual animal that brought it about- no one I know of was surprised to hear he met an early death by an animal.

Woah wait a sec was this in your actual car!? Gah how did he get in there and how did you get him out?
Yeah that’s my car! I didn’t actually get him out cos my son stood in the way of where I was trying to fling the spider and it got back under the dash- my son used fly/insect spray to stink out my car before he’d get back in.
There’s a new one that’s moved in there now (a bit smaller) but I haven’t been able to get it out yet…. Not telling my son that my car has a new resident- he’ll want to fumigate it :laugh:

I think the last two have gotten in my van when I’ve filled the back of it with branches and foliage. But they could also have just climbed in off the path.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So many of us feel that way because the guy was a complete tool and treated animals horribly all for fame and catchy footage.
I honestly think the only unexpected part of his death was the actual animal that brought it about- no one I know of was surprised to hear he met an early death by an animal.

Yeah that’s my car! I didn’t actually get him out cos my son stood in the way of where I was trying to fling the spider and it got back under the dash- my son used fly/insect spray to stink out my car before he’d get back in.
There’s a new one that’s moved in there now (a bit smaller) but I haven’t been able to get it out yet…. Not telling my son that my car has a new resident- he’ll want to fumigate it :laugh:

I think the last two have gotten in my van when I’ve filled the back of it with branches and foliage. But they could also have just climbed in off the path.
That's very saddening to hear that he treated animals badly,I have a hard time hearing that but if that's the truth then :( well maybe that's why they say never meet your heros. Thank you for being honest with me I do appreciate it. I always welcome hearing others thoughts and views when it comes to Steve. Just because I enjoy him doesn't mean he was perfect but deep down I will always be fond of him and miss him though I never was able to meet him. Honestly I always worried he'd be bitten by a deadly snake he had some real close calls.
Oh man your a brave brave soul,to willingly share your car with these guys. Are they able to seriously hurt you if they bite you?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That's very saddening to hear that he treated animals badly,I have a hard time hearing that but if that's the truth then :( well maybe that's why they say never meet your heros. Thank you for being honest with me I do appreciate it. I always welcome hearing others thoughts and views when it comes to Steve. Just because I enjoy him doesn't mean he was perfect but deep down I will always be fond of him and miss him though I never was able to meet him. Honestly I always worried he'd be bitten by a deadly snake he had some real close calls.
Oh man your a brave brave soul,to willingly share your car with these guys. Are they able to seriously hurt you if they bite you?
Not even snake catchers or regular handlers of venomous snakes have so many close calls- these are the sorts of things that made him much less popular here- he just did dumb things that really aren’t advised or recommended. I think it’s fair to say that we all pretty much thought his crocs would eat him or a snake bite would do him in, he wasn’t necessarily cruel to animals- he just did exactly what you saw (which seems to often be the opposite of what we’re taught for safety for us and the animals) and honestly most snakes here (probably everywhere) tend to strike when cornered or threatened- I see numerous snakes up fairly close accidentally every year and not once has one tried to bite me…. I don’t provoke them for views!

Kids often keep Huntsman spiders for pets… bite might hurt a tiny bit and if you’re allergic you may get a headache, loose your voice for a few hours or get a bit spewy but they’re generally no big deal. They are honestly very placid and you really have to annoy them to have them try to bite.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not even snake catchers or regular handlers of venomous snakes have so many close calls- these are the sorts of things that made him much less popular here- he just did dumb things that really aren’t advised or recommended. I think it’s fair to say that we all pretty much thought his crocs would eat him or a snake bite would do him in, he wasn’t necessarily cruel to animals- he just did exactly what you saw (which seems to often be the opposite of what we’re taught for safety for us and the animals) and honestly most snakes here (probably everywhere) tend to strike when cornered or threatened- I see numerous snakes up fairly close accidentally every year and not once has one tried to bite me…. I don’t provoke them for views!

Kids often keep Huntsman spiders for pets… bite might hurt a tiny bit and if you’re allergic you may get a headache, loose your voice for a few hours or get a bit spray but they’re generally no big deal. They are honestly very placid and you really have to annoy them to have them try to bite.
That's fair I do remember thinking at times that he should just leave the snake alone clearly it didn't wannabe messed with. I've come across several under the trash cans and though some were deadly Cottonmouths and some harmless Rat snakes none of them ever struck at me when I would scoop them up with a shovel and put them over the fence into the woods they would try to slither off the shovel but never purposely lunge at me just wanted to get away.
Ooh that's very interesting I'm so glad I asked I learned something new,I don't think spiders are evil or anything I just prefer they stay away from me. I can even find them fascinating just not next to me is all I ask;). How strange though that you can lose your voice if your bitten.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Kids often keep Huntsman spiders for pets… bite might hurt a tiny bit and if you’re allergic you may get a headache, loose your voice for a few hours or get a bit spewy but they’re generally no big deal. They are honestly very placid and you really have to annoy them to have them try to bite.
Hmm, I was always told they hurt a fair bit...

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That's fair I do remember thinking at times that he should just leave the snake alone clearly it didn't wannabe messed with. I've come across several under the trash cans and though some where deadly Cottonmouths and some harmless Rat snakes none of them ever struck at me when I would scoop them up with a shovel and put them over the fence into the woods they would try to slither off the shovel but never purposely lunge at me just want to get away.
Ooh that's very interesting I'm so glad I asked I learned something new,I don't think spiders are evil or anything I just prefer they stay away from me. I can even find them fascinating just not next to me is all I ask;)
The wolf spiders we get are fairly interesting, the only thing I don’t like about them is they’re real fast and actually jump. I had a big one stalking my fish ages back and posted here about it.

Your cottonmouths are gorgeous! But as you’ve witnessed yourself they’re not so simple to annoy- Steve pestered animals for his own amusement or gain- I don’t feel that’s what a true conservationist would do to the animals they are helping or raising awareness of.
I also accidentally briefly met Steve at his zoo…. That made me dislike him even more than beforehand :roflmao:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hmm, I was always told they hurt a fair bit...
I had a friend at high school who would antagonise hers so they bit and she’d loose her voice so she could get an ok to go home early lol. There’s also been a few kids in the last town I lived in who had them as pets who all said the actual bites weren’t bad at all. I guess it could depend on pain tolerance, size of spider and amount of venom?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The wolf spiders we get are fairly interesting, the only thing I don’t like about them is they’re real fast and actually jump. I had a big one stalking my fish ages back and posted here about it.

Your cottonmouths are gorgeous! But as you’ve witnessed yourself they’re not so simple to annoy- Steve pestered animals for his own amusement or gain- I don’t feel that’s what a true conservationist would do to the animals they are helping or raising awareness of.
I also accidentally briefly met Steve at his zoo…. That made me dislike him even more than beforehand :roflmao:
Stalking your fish!? That's crazy I'll have to look it up. We get Wolf Spiders here at work all the time we've had some truly massive ones I always get a thrill of panic and wanna run before I get that urge under control and get it outside instead.
Yeah.. it's different looking at it as an adult vs a kid I haven't watched many episodes in a very long time time maybe I should do that and see how I see it now.
Wait you actually had a conversation with him ? Did you talk about parrots and he had some not great things to say? That always surprised me that he didn't like parrots especially Cockatoos but I think I recall that he was badly bitten by a Too?