• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think?

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
So my friend is moving in about a month & is giving away her 2 parakeets & I don't know if I'm ready for another parakeet or not :sad11: & so I went & meet them & they kept preening each other but then the blue one would go over to the purple one & put it's foot on the middle of it's back & start attacking it? They said they have had to blue one for over a year & the purple one for 2-3 months so could that be part of the problem? They said the blue one steps up onto the dad's hand but then he tried to show me & it went flying away from him in the cage... They mentioned that they had had a green one before but came home & it was dead... Could the blue one maybe have killed it since it's acting like this to the purple one? Looking at both of their ceres it looks like the blue one is a girl & the purple one is a boy? I've been praying a lot trying to get an answer if they are meant to be mine or if I should just help them find a good home but if I either take them or help them find a home should they be split up since the blue one is acting like that or what do you guys think? I'm going to see them again tomorrow....

Attachments

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
If you can, I would take them. If you can take them, it would be best to separate them. Separate cages, but allowed to interact with each other when out of the cage.
There's a good chance that if a random person took them, they would end up sharing a cage even with the fighting.
How big is their cage? That might be the problem, but I'm guessing it's just because they don't get along. Females can get pretty aggressive, too. She might just feel like the male is in her space, after the other bird passed. Did the female and the other bird ever fight?
And they do look like a male and female to me.
Do you have other budgies?
If you do, you could even consider taking the one who isn't hand tame and allowing that one to join your flock. A bird that is at least slightly tame is less likely to end up neglected.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
The blue is a girl and the violet is a boy.
Do you know if the dead budgie was injured when they found it? It is rare for a budgie to kill another one. Could the female be jealous? Girls can be quite bossy, and she could definitely be attacking territorially. I would split them apart. It is possible that they just got into an argument. I will tag some others that may be able to help. @PoukieBear @Budgiebonkers @Lady Jane

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
If you can, I would take them. If you can take them, it would be best to separate them. Separate cages, but allowed to interact with each other when out of the cage.
There's a good chance that if a random person took them, they would end up sharing a cage even with the fighting.
How big is their cage? That might be the problem, but I'm guessing it's just because they don't get along. Females can get pretty aggressive, too. She might just feel like the male is in her space, after the other bird passed. Did the female and the other bird ever fight?
And they do look like a male and female to me.
Do you have other budgies?
If you do, you could even consider taking the one who isn't hand tame and allowing that one to join your flock. A bird that is at least slightly tame is less likely to end up neglected.
My baby girl Tweety that I had for just over 6 & a half years pasted away on Monday night/Tuesday morning... She was having what looked to be seizures :sad11: & we took her to a emergency vet they they tried to help her but it just got worse by the minute :crycry: I don't know if I'm ready for another parakeet or not but I want these baby's to have a good home :( this is the cage they had before when they had the green & blue one PetSmart Orange bird cage - Google Search
I had went by their house Christmas time to drop off some stuff & the cage was upstairs on top of a 7-8 foot shelf pretty much almost touching the roof & in the dark & the green one had already passed 3-4 months before that. They never said if there was any blood or anything when they found it. Just that 'it had died' & then she wanted me to take the blue one back in December/January & I was trying to find a home for it & then when i did find a home (my dad's mom was going to take it) then they had bought another bird & a new setup which is this one
When I went to see them on Friday just so I could get pictures & see if they would be a good fit for me or not & I knew right then I needed to get them out of that cage. The bar spacing is 1 inch instead of half an inch like it should be. They aren't bird people because while I was there they have incense burning down stairs & they would keep complaining that they was 'being too loud' & the mom told me how when she's having a meeting she has to Puch their cage into the other room & close the door cause 'soon as I start talking on my Skype call they won't shut up'

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
The blue is a girl and the violet is a boy.
Do you know if the dead budgie was injured when they found it? It is rare for a budgie to kill another one. Could the female be jealous? Girls can be quite bossy, and she could definitely be attacking territorially. I would split them apart. It is possible that they just got into an argument. I will tag some others that may be able to help. @PoukieBear @Budgiebonkers @Lady Jane
They didn't say. Just said that 'one day the green bird was dead' my aunt's daughter's friend had given her 3 parakeets 2 was boys & 1 was a girl & the girl killed both of the males & then got out of the cage (pretty sure bar spacing was way too big on that cage also) & then had gotten cats a couple months before that & when the girl got out the cats killed it... When I saw how the girl was acting towards the boy I felt like she would at least hurt him & maybe even kill him so I was thinking they need to be separated

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
The leg attacking thing is a mating behavior, budgies are not usually aggressive however you may want to keep an eye on them especially since one is a boy and one is a girl. keep daylight hours lower and avoid any dark spaces and they should be fine. If you can I would say get them.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Yes, I suggest you take them! I think you'll be very happy that you did. Get a large cage and put the male in it. Separate the two and put the female in the small cage. She will be territorial about her cage and won't want the male in her "space" until they are good friends, so you don't want her to be territorial about the large cage where they both will live eventually. Re-introduce them slowly. It may take awhile but they will get along.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
The leg attacking thing is a mating behavior, budgies are not usually aggressive however you may want to keep an eye on them especially since one is a boy and one is a girl. keep daylight hours lower and avoid any dark spaces and they should be fine. If you can I would say get them.
I don't think they ever covered them at night so that might be the problem. If I do get them I put put them in separate cages for a little bit & see if she relaxes or not. I'm not sure if I would keep them both, or re-home one & keep the other or just find them both a new home :( all I know is I want to help these baby's find a good home

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Yes, I suggest you take them! I think you'll be very happy that you did. Get a large cage and put the male in it. Separate the two and put the female in the small cage. She will be territorial about her cage and won't want the male in her "space" until they are good friends, so you don't want her to be territorial about the large cage where they both will live eventually. Re-introduce them slowly. It may take awhile but they will get along.
That's what I'm considering doing. If I end up not being able to keep them at least I can help them find a good home

Bookwyrm

Okay...
I actually have the exact same orange cage, and use it for vet visits and going outside.
It's too small for any type of bird to spend any significant amount of time in. It is amazing that someone could think that two birds could live in it...
And one inch bar spacing? It looks like a good sized cage, but... Wow. These people obviously did no research.
Yes, take them. If you need to, re-home them, but make sure it's to someone who knows what they're doing.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Okay...
I actually have the exact same orange cage, and use it for vet visits and going outside.
It's too small for any type of bird to spend any significant amount of time in. It is amazing that someone could think that two birds could live in it...
And one inch bar spacing? It looks like a good sized cage, but... Wow. These people obviously did no research.
Yes, take them. If you need to, re-home them, but make sure it's to someone who knows what they're doing.
That's the size cage I would take my girl Tweety (rip :sad11:) in to the vet or when we went on trips but nothing more then that. As soon as I saw the cage all these red alarm's was going off in my head that they needed help & fast. Since I don't have cages that I would re-home them in I've found a couple on craigslist for $10-15 that I'm going to buy & scrub down really good & hopefully pick these baby's up by Friday at the latest & then clean the big cage & sell it just to get enough money to cover what I needed to buy for them. When she first got the parakeets & was telling me all about them I sent her multiple links of what not to use in your house & she's using all of it :shifty: like??? DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY THESE POOR LITTLE BABYS!! :banghead: when we found Tweety she lived in a box for 2 days because we was trying to find her family before we bought a cage but we would take her box in the bathroom & let her fly around in there for a good chunk of the day & I always had my nose stuck in my tablet reading about what was good and bad for her. Like?? It doesn't take that long to educate yourself about what to do :facepalm:

Bookwyrm

That sounds great!
A while back, I actually found a budgie on Craigslist, and he came with this $200 dollar cage and the small travel one all for $20. I was looking for another bird, and went with that.
The bird was a grump.
But he was also sweet in his own way. He had a mirror problem, too.
But that was around the time I started suspecting that Kaladin was sick, and having two birds in two separate places in two separate cages and one was sick... It was a bit much for my anxiety. So I actually rehomed him to my friend, and gave her a ton of info and everything she needed to know. He now has a buddy, too, and they love those birds. They didn't take the big cage. But the big cage was in great shape. I had been looking into getting a flight cage for a while, but the big one was still smaller than I wanted. So I actually ended up selling it for $100, and all that is going towards bird toys.
I am going to be getting another bird at some point, probably around the time school goes back to normal. Just so Kaladin has a buddy, or at least someone to screech at. I'm planning on getting a tabletop flight cage as soon as I can, for quarentine, training, and introducing the two birds. Kaladin is still sick, though, and I'm capable of spending a lot of time with him, so it's not on the top of my list of things to do. (I finally found a rescue near me, though!)
So... Tangent.
I'm so glad you've got things figured out! :roflmao:

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
That sounds great!
A while back, I actually found a budgie on Craigslist, and he came with this $200 dollar cage and the small travel one all for $20. I was looking for another bird, and went with that.
The bird was a grump.
But he was also sweet in his own way. He had a mirror problem, too.
But that was around the time I started suspecting that Kaladin was sick, and having two birds in two separate places in two separate cages and one was sick... It was a bit much for my anxiety. So I actually rehomed him to my friend, and gave her a ton of info and everything she needed to know. He now has a buddy, too, and they love those birds. They didn't take the big cage. But the big cage was in great shape. I had been looking into getting a flight cage for a while, but the big one was still smaller than I wanted. So I actually ended up selling it for $100, and all that is going towards bird toys.
I am going to be getting another bird at some point, probably around the time school goes back to normal. Just so Kaladin has a buddy, or at least someone to screech at. I'm planning on getting a tabletop flight cage as soon as I can, for quarentine, training, and introducing the two birds. Kaladin is still sick, though, and I'm capable of spending a lot of time with him, so it's not on the top of my list of things to do. (I finally found a rescue near me, though!)
So... Tangent.
I'm so glad you've got things figured out! :roflmao:
Looking up the cage it's $300-$400 :shocked3: so hopefully I can sell it for at least $100 or something. It's a really nice cage but not meant for birds to live in :banghead: people should have to take a test on how to case for an animal before they can get it :shifty:

Bookwyrm

Things like this make me so sad... But I'm so glad you can take them! Let us know how everything works out, and make sure to send lots of pictures!

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Things like this make me so sad... But I'm so glad you can take them! Let us know how everything works out, and make sure to send lots of pictures!
I emailed the rescue place here yesterday & they replied back this morning saying this

"Yes of course we will help out with these babies! Please call us at to discuss the details.
Thank you for caring & reaching out!"

I'm going to call them in a little bit & see if they have cages for them or if I need to buy the couple off of Craigslist & scrub them down really good & then put these baby's in them & take them over to their new home :xflove:

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
So I know everyone has been waiting for an update.... I picked these baby's up this evening & brought them home to see if it's meant to be or not. They are sooo sweet & loving :xflove: (besides when the girl kehlani decides to be mean to the boy Pablo :shifty:) but I brake it up when she does. I got them in the little cage they had before they had bought the big one & it was so disgusting :wtf: but as soon as I got them home (about a 5-7 minute drive) I got them moved into the other cage I had setup & got them food & water & as soon as the food was going in they jumped down there so fast & then started trying to knock each other off of the dish :facepalm: so I quickly pulled out another dish & filled it with food & put it on the other side of the cage & one of them went running over to it. So now they each have a good dish & I have seen the little boy drink some water tonight about an hour after being home :laugh: & I turned the tv on for them & they was so happy! My dad said we will take the 2 cages that we got from them & go to the car wash & spray them off good & get them all cleaned up & then get the other one in the smaller cage tomorrow so she won't pick on him anymore & then see if they are meant for me or not. If it doesn't work out I talked to the rescue here in town & they said they would take them but I feel like I might keep the girl because she will step up onto my finger for 2-3 seconds & then jump off so I feel like I could tame her.... But we will see how this weekend/beginning of next week goes & decide from there. But here's some pictures of them! :loveshower:

Attachments

Bookwyrm

They're so pretty! Poor little guys... I say keep them, but do what's best for you.
Make sure to give them lots of toys, and offer some fresh veggies. If you decide to keep one or the other, there'll be time to make some more permanent changes to the cage.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
They're so pretty! Poor little guys... I say keep them, but do what's best for you.
Make sure to give them lots of toys, and offer some fresh veggies. If you decide to keep one or the other, there'll be time to make some more permanent changes to the cage.
I want to keep them but I feel like I need to go to know them & see if they will be a good fit or not. When we got in the car to come home they kept chirping in the car & the Girl started doing Tweety's head swing she would do :sad11: & I was able to catch them on my hands & not use a towel or net so I think that helped not scaring them as much as the towel or net would of

Bookwyrm

I want to keep them but I feel like I need to go to know them & see if they will be a good fit or not. When we got in the car to come home they kept chirping in the car & the Girl started doing Tweety's head swing she would do :sad11: & I was able to catch them on my hands & not use a towel or net so I think that helped not scaring them as much as the towel or net would of
*Hugs*
Well, whatever happens, they'll at least be in a better home. If you keep them, that's amazing. If they aren't a good fit, that's okay too.
But I have a feeling you all will get along pretty well. :)
And if neither of them react to training right away, keep at it!
But in the long run, do what's best for you.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
*Hugs*
Well, whatever happens, they'll at least be in a better home. If you keep them, that's amazing. If they aren't a good fit, that's okay too.
But I have a feeling you all will get along pretty well. :)
And if neither of them react to training right away, keep at it!
But in the long run, do what's best for you.
Thank you :hug2:i got them up this morning & they ate & chirped to the tv & was really happy :loveshower: now they was watching tv but now they are dozing off taking a nap together :rolleyes: so we are taking the cages over to the car wash to get them all cleaned up!