• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do with pomegranate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I spotted some at the fruit and veg markets today and grabbed a couple cause i know they're a favourite among many of the fids here. But having never had a pomegranate myself i don't actually know how to serve it. Do you just chop it in half and scoop out the seeds? What's the least messy way i can give it to the fids? Are the seeds something i could dry with my food dehydrator to store and feed in foraging toys?

Basically, just what do i do with them? :p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
cut it open, and gently pry out the seeds and serve them. I used to just cut it up in foot size chunks but it is wasteful that way....not to mention it squirts everywhere while cutting :eek:

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
So i should probably change out of my white skirt BEFORE tackling them then? :p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
And do you store the seeds, or just use them fresh? Can they be frozen? Dried? Will they last a few days in the fridge?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And do you store the seeds, or just use them fresh? Can they be frozen? Dried? Will they last a few days in the fridge?
A cut one stays good for 4-5 days. I only take the seeds out the same day, but i'm sure they would be just fine if you did the whole pom on day one and used it up in 4-5 days.....
they freeze but mine won't eat them mushy...

They can be dehydrated, though not popular here...:rolleyes:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Me i cut to of bottem of start at top with knife put a hole in core after cutting it and break it open i do that taking some skin off break it in small chunks skin on and give to mango on his parrot stand as it catches most things i also do not clean tray after hs finished as he loves to go next day and fordge for what he dropped ok so i have a small mess but its worth it as not much goes to waist this way , i have to make sure its a room temp as he wont touch any thing right out of fridge except icecream thats ok he loves that
oh i only give him 1/2 teaspoon once or twice a month
i have found out with him if i eat he needs it to so i do try hard not to eat what he shouldnt
doll mango

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
They are messy and the birds love them. They get small quarters each and love to hold them in the skin to keep their feet clean!
You will end up with a pomegranite pattern on the walls but hey we cannot have everything all our own way!:rofl:

ThatDarnBird

The way we do pomegranate here is I break it open and I eat the seeds.:hehe: My birds weren't impressed but I might try giving them again.

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
The way we do pomegranate here is I break it open and I eat the seeds.:hehe: My birds weren't impressed but I might try giving them again.

Sounds like my house. :) Though Kai likes to squish the seeds when I give them to him! I've frozen a couple poms worth of seeds thus far.. I think they're good frozen. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.