• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do for Arthritis

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnoble89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
My new sweet TAG has arthritis she will be going to my vet tomorrow to find out what course of action we will be taking here. However, I was curious as to what you do for your babies that have arthritis and how they overcome it. I just want to make sure I am doing everything possible to help her. I would also like your advice on what I should ask the vet when we go. Thanks for the help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww, I hope you get some good information! Bumping up for you :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
My one friend uses a heated perch making sure to keep the cord out of the way. The bird loves this perch and will frequently go to it/

Have a variety of type, sizes of perches. Grape vine perches have varying widths. Platform perches allow the feet to be flat and minimize grasping.

Don't take everything away as they do need excise. Warm foot soaks are nice also or a little massage.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You can put something soft on the perch, some wrap with fleece.
Keep an avian heat lamp close (I had one on one side, so if he was too hot, he could move to the other side)
Pad the bottom
I think there is a link somewhere on how to house elderly birds, most of it addresses arthritis.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My female GW, Jasper, has severe arthritis in her left foot/ankle, moderate arthritis in her right foot and has recently developed arthritis in the "elbow" joint of her right wing. There are days that she is in a lot of pain and those days seem to coincide with when my arthritis is acting up.

She has been on Metacam for 12 years (with no detrimental effects) and is now at the maximum dosage for her weight. Tramadol is not an option for her, because it is an opium derivative and she also has cardiomyopathy (congestive heart failure) and atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Opiates suppress the circulatory and respiratory systems.

The advice given by the other posters are all included in Jaspers treatment, but she absolutely refuses to perch on the heated perch and she will not sleep on the blanket I put on the floor for her like Hank used to.

Low level laser therapy is a recent development for arthritis treatment in people and animals and my vet has presented this option. The problem is it takes a number of treatments and I live 100 miles from the nearest treatment center and most important, Jasper's overall health is quite delicate right now. Basically, she is at the end stage with her heart and circulatory diseases.

Here is one link to more info on Low Level Laser therapy (there are many more);

LiteCure Companion | Advanced Laser Therapy Systems

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You could use platform perches instead of the perches that must be gripped. Also Dr. Schools moleskin is good to make things softer in the cage. This link has some wonderful holistic methods for promoting comfort of an arthritic bird.
Caring For Arthritic Birds: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

Suggest you invest in an aloe plant. It is the best plant to have around a bird. This one is good for them to bite on.

My experience with the heated perches was that Rosie loved it so much she got pressure sores from the hard plastic perch. I wrapped it in vet tape and it was much better.

Last edited:

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Renae put me on to this site.
Arthritis: Holistic Treatments: General Information, Related Research, Causes, Symptoms and Conventional & Holistic Treatment Options as well as Disease Prevention

The Cinnamon Cure: In a study conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon of Honey and half teaspoon cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week out of the 200 people so treated practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain and within a month, mostly all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis started walking without pain.

I used this to treat Henry last time he seemed to have hurt his wing and the vet on inspection thought it could be arthritis. I guess he had been in pain as he plucked under his wings.
I cannot say 100% it worked, but he is much better and I have not seen him walking around with his wing up in the air.
Before, I tried that I dosed him with salmon oil.
After, I now keep some Flax seed available for them all.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Do try the heated perches (w/vet wrap) All birds love them in wintertime. Just a warning--once you unplug it, the plug falls apart & it has to be taped or glued together again:huh:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Platform perches would be good for her.:) Any soft type perch,would be soothing also.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I should off added that I adapted this. And that it was for Henry my Cockatiel.
What I did was to make it up using warm water to thin it out.
Then take a 1cc syringe with the needle broken off. And put three drops directly in his mouth.
I did this with the salmon oil and the Honey, cinnamon.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
In addition to all the really great advice given, I would concur with ensuring she gets ample omega fatty acids. I use Manitoba Harvest Certified Organic Hemp Oil because of the balance it contains of the Omega 3 vs. Omega 6 fatty acids. Even organic, it is inexpensive, lasts a long time refrigerated, and can be consumed by the humans in the home as well! Other oils are options as well; I am just partial to hemp, and believe the omega fatty acids are super important for all birds.

A few quality nuts each day in balance with the rest of the diet also provide a natural source of fats and omega fatty acids without concern of weight gain.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do try the heated perches (w/vet wrap) All birds love them in wintertime. Just a warning--once you unplug it, the plug falls apart & it has to be taped or glued together again:huh:
LOL - not all birds love them. Jasper acts like it is a dragon about to eat her, even after I hold her on it for awhile so she can feel the heat in her feet. It is wrapped with vet wrap. I have mine on a timer so it isn't on all day.

She gets Red Palm Oil and Flax seed. Combining the two gives her all three Omegas 3,6, & 9.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My old dove, Chloe has arthritis in her left leg, she sleeps on a heating pad.(since she lays down to sleep) and I have metacam here for when she limps bad. My vet said just to give it too her when she starts the limping, which is usually when its cold and or raining. Same as me....:rolleyes:

alnoble89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
We did the foot soak tonight and she loved it. That poor baby was like no water and then you could just see her start to relax. She was close to laying down. I am going to start getting some of the other things mentioned because I am willing to try just about anything to help her. Hopefully the vet will give us some good ways to help her.
As far as moving around I have gotten some wooden ladders and taken the hooks off and made her a few walkways throughout the cage.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Well after a visit to the vet with Tinkerbell she will be going on a course of Metacam and the Holistic Cinnamon and Honey to see if we can get her to respond to treatment
I will post details over in Cockatiels and keep that thread updated.
She has a problem in a wing joint., and it seems to be very sore for her.

Feather Mom

Real Name
Gretchen
Hmmmmmm I might have to give that honey/cinnamon a try for myself. Winter is on it's way accompanied by more arthritis pain in my leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.