• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you cook your pancakes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The last few days I could have cooked them on the hood of the car. :D

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Correct. Pre-seasoned means they are properly seasoned at the factory and ready for use! They will stay seasoned as long as you don't use soap on them. Clean with water and a sponge, wipe dry.

You need to keep them seasoned and you do that by not washing them in hot soapy water because that removes all the oils off of them. I just rub some oil on them before I start cooking and they stay well seasoned. I also rub a little oil into them before putting them away
I don't know if my obsessive compulsiveness and germaphobia will allow that! :lol: Doesn't bacteria grow in oil?

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Cast iron. We have a long oval flat cast iron skillet it covers two burners. I can make two at a time.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
IHOP sounds like the best solution.:D
You don't get Scotch pancakes, wheat & oat pancakes, blueberry pancakes (well, maybe?) or baked apple pancakes at IHOP! :lol:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Either my grandmother's cast iron griddle which is 72 years old, or my new light weight Orgreenic pan. Neither one ever sticks. I think the cast iron griddle does a better job, but if I don't feel like lifting the 10 lb griddle, I use the Orgeenic.

If you don't want to season new cast iron in your house with the kitchen exhaust fan on, then take it out to the grill and heat it on the grill. Use a table spoon or two of high heat oil like peanut or olive and heat it until it just begins to smoke. Remove the pan from the heat and make sure the oil liberally coats the entire bottom and part of the way up the edge; then se9685/t it down to cool. Once cool enough you can touch the fry surface without blistering your fingers, use paper towels to wipe out the excess oil. It is now ready for storage or use. When you are ready to use it, rinse the inside of the pan with hot water, dry with a paper towel and heat it up to fry temperature. Add small amounts of oil as needed. Do not use butter because the low temperature fats will burn and clog the pores in the metal that make the cast iron nonstick. If you ever burn your skillet, you have to wash it with soap and hot water and then season it again like you did the first time.

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Scotch pancakes? My old boss would have LOVED those, the old drunkard! :lol:
:lol: People who haven't had them can't get their head around them at first. They are sweet pancakes, so no syrup is needed, you just butter them and eat them with your hands. That's the part people have trouble with - what, pick up a pancake?! :eek: But then they end up wanting them every week! :D

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I have a ceramic frying pan that I got right before I got the fids. Haven't made pancakes on it yet. Maybe I'll try tomorrow and report back.;)
I can't deal with cast iron, too heavy!:(

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Cast iron works beautifully. I've never seasoned it until it *smokes*.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't say enough about Lodge Logic cast iron! They come pre-seasoned and are really built to last. I cook pancakes on my Lodge Logic cast iron. A very tiny bit of oil and nothing sticks.

This option has been rejected by DH, of course. He says they do not work well on an electric stove :rolleyes:.
Do you have an electric stove?

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I used cast iron before I got a cooktop with a griddle. Thought I would share a recipe I've been using for twenty years that makes super tender little pancakes.

1 cup buttermilk
1 egg room temp
3 TLB butter melted
3/4 cup flour
pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda

Stir buttermilk, egg, and butter until blended. Sir flour salt and soda together with a whisk. Whisk liquid and dry ingredients until moistened, leave some lumps. If you over mix the pancakes won't be as light and fluffy. Test griddle with a drop of water. When it sizzles, it's ready. I make these small, about 3 inches across.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

This option has been rejected by DH, of course. He says they do not work well on an electric stove :rolleyes:.
Do you have an electric stove?
Not sure if you were asking me or snowboardracer. Mine is electric and is a ceran top which could also be an issue with cast iron (scratching or not being flat enough to conduct heat well).

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I use cast iron on a flat-top electric stove just fine. :huh:

Amali

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I, too, use cast iron on a flat top electric stove. You just have to be careful when sitting it down and also be careful not to slide it around and cause scratches. You can even get a preseasoned griddle ... love ours :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Germaphobes, listen up. Yes, bacteria can grow in the microscoptic cracks that the oil lies in which makes the cast iron nonstick. When you heat the cast iron up to cooking temperature, you cauterize the iron, kill the bacteria and release the oil from the cracks to provide a microscopic coat of oil on the cooking surface. Besides that, cooking in well seasoned cast iron has been scientifically proven to be antibacterial; it has something to do with the interaction of the elemental iron, oxygen and heat. It was a very technical report and I did not follow half the science cited.

If you think when you 'wash' a dish, a pot, a skillet, etc, you make it clean of bacteria, you are mistaken. Our bodies are covered in bacterial colonies, as are all our possessions, the foods we eat, etc. Only now are scientists beginning to understand the role of the bacterial colonies that inhabit our bodies on our health, our lives and even in our behavior. It turns out bacterial talk to one another chemically and even influence our animal bodies. They are just beginning to study which bacteria inhabit whom and how they influence our behavior. The last I read there were three main colony types and people could be pinpointed to where they lived as children by which collection of bacterial inhabit their gut.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use a stainless steel pan and they come out just fine. What brand of stainless steel are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.