• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What cleaner/disinfectant would you recommend?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This book is a treasure. I now make all of my cleaning solutions for the home and birds. I strongly suggest vinegar and water. You will never get the bird's cage to be free of germs so why bother with the other expensive cleaners. Hope you get the book as it will change the way you view the commercial cleaning solutions. Amazon.com: Natural Green Home Cleaning For Beginners:Best Innovative Eco-Friendly Cleaning Solutions for Your Home from Kitchen, to Children's Toys, and Even Your Car and Microfiber Cleaning eBook: R. Kishore: Kindle Store

You can download this book on tablets, I Pads or other similar electronic reading devices. Does not have to be a Kindle.

Last edited:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I would use Poop off but now it is so damn expensive 18 bucks a bottle

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I cant wait for summer. I can just wash down cages with water and leave them in the 35C sun for a few hours to kill off any remaining nasties. In the meantime I struggle by on soap/water and vinegar.
Interesting that F10 is a south african product. I havent seen it in the shops here. I will contact them directly

JP

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
This book is a treasure. I now make all of my cleaning solutions for the home and birds. I strongly suggest vinegar and water. You will never get the bird's cage to be free of germs so why bother with the other expensive cleaners. Hope you get the book as it will change the way you view the commercial cleaning solutions. Amazon.com: Natural Green Home Cleaning For Beginners:Best Innovative Eco-Friendly Cleaning Solutions for Your Home from Kitchen, to Children's Toys, and Even Your Car and Microfiber Cleaning eBook: R. Kishore: Kindle Store

You can download this book on tablets, I Pads or other similar electronic reading devices. Does not have to be a Kindle.
Disinfectants such as F10 and Vetafarm Avicare kill viruses (including PBFDV which is very difficult to kill with many disinfectants), bacteria and Fungus/mould that many household disinfectants and natural cleaners dont. Soap or vingear and water are fine for everyday cleaning but a regular disinfecting is important especially if you keep birds like Lories that have sticky sugary diets that harbour bacteria and fungus, and beleive me they spread their food and poop everywhere in reach.
Vet grade disinfectants is also important for multi bird housholds, people who are introducing new birds and are quarantining and people who are buying and reusing second hand cages and other accessories (personally I don't touch second hand bird items with a ten foot pole but that is just my opinion).
I acutally alternate between Vetafarm Avicare and F10 to reduce chances of bacteria etc.. developing a resistance.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
what are the active ingredients in aviclean?
a while back, i looked at the active ingredients for pet focus and noticed it was just another ammonium chloride salt based cleaner. basically it was repackaged (lysol/chlorox) disinfecting wipes.

jenfour6

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and I'm from Portugal, so I apologize in advance if my grammar isn't perfect.
My flock consists of 4 lovies and me.

I was wondering if someone could help me find a cleaner/disinfectant that would suit our needs. I was looking for something to use about once a week (for everyday use I have ACV for bowls and just plain/hot water for cleaning dirty cage bars, the birdroom floor, etc) that would work on everything (toys, perches, cage bars, bowls, floor, etc). It must be safe to use around the birds and need no rising.

I was all pumped about oxyfresh but it's not available in the UK or anywhere in Europe and the shipping costs for a US order would be 5 times the price of the product:(
This is why I'm looking for other options.. What does everyone use?
Hello, there are a variety of disinfectants you can get from abatix.com. They are usually priced much more reasonably compared to other brands and I believe they ship all over the world. Here's a link to one for example: ["BENDISINF - Abatix" Benefect Disinfectant - 1 Gallon] The product information is at the bottom of the page.