• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What cleaner/disinfectant would you recommend?

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and I'm from Portugal, so I apologize in advance if my grammar isn't perfect.
My flock consists of 4 lovies and me.

I was wondering if someone could help me find a cleaner/disinfectant that would suit our needs. I was looking for something to use about once a week (for everyday use I have ACV for bowls and just plain/hot water for cleaning dirty cage bars, the birdroom floor, etc) that would work on everything (toys, perches, cage bars, bowls, floor, etc). It must be safe to use around the birds and need no rising.

I was all pumped about oxyfresh but it's not available in the UK or anywhere in Europe and the shipping costs for a US order would be 5 times the price of the product:(
This is why I'm looking for other options.. What does everyone use?

Shelley

Checking out the neighborhood
I use diluted G.S.E. (Grapefruit seed extract) as disinfectant, vinegar water, and Aviclean (enzymatic no rinse formula, tho I do rinse after mostly).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use F10 once a week, but mostly I use white vinegar and water

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aviclean and Oxyfresh gele. I highly recommend both.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
After reading tons of stuff - I find I clean mostly with vinegar and water. I also have a hand held steamer now.

When I originally bought used cages for my parrots, I read and took a weak bleach solution to them - then made sure to rinse them very, very thoroughly.

I stick with vinegar because we can eat it. If we can eat it, I figure it won't hurt my little feathered guys OR my grandsons.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I mostly use vetafarm Avi Care for all disinfecting including all of my handrearing enquipment it is good because you can clean, spray with avicare and no need to rinse just dry before use. F10 is another great veterinary grade disinfectant.

Unfortunatley many household disinfectants including bleach is ineffective to some viruses such as PBFDV so if you are disinfecting used items always use a vet grade disinfectant.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone for your replies :)
The reason why I don't use ACV to disinfect the cages is because they're just too big to disassemble every weekend, so I can't really rinse them all the time, and I also feel like it'd be good to clean them with something stronger every now and then.
Is Aviclean good for cleaning bowls, toys, perches and the wooden floor also?
I was also thinking about getting a steamer or a pressure washer later on, but not while we live in flat.
If I get Aviclean is the vetafarm kind the best?

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I religiously use F10 Biocare. I use it to clean bird stuff, but also bathrooms, kitchens, everything else with the help of Seventh Generation products.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for that reference :) Even if I don't buy the cleaner from there (because it'd take longer) I'm definitely ordering some toys because they have a surface mail option which is fantastic

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
F-10 Biocare is the best disinfectant and cleaner for birds on the market. Most vets use it in their offices.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Do you prefer F10 Biocare to Aviclean?

I'm a bit confused because I haven't tried either. Do both work the same way and can you clean everything with both?

Last edited:

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
From what I understand Aviclean is good for cleaning cages, toys, the floor, perches (even the wooden ones?) but it doesn't really disinfect? Or does it:confused:
And F10 Biocare is better for disinfecting food and water bowls? I haven't read anything about using Aviclean for bowls..

I'm sorry about all this questions but I'm so confused and I just want things properly clean every now and then.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's wrong with soap and water for bowls? I throw mine in the dishwasher.

F10 is a veterinary disinfectant. It kills many diseases that Aviclean, soap, vinegar, etc can't.

Aviclean is an enzymatic cleaner. It breaks down feces and foods so that they are easier to wipe up. I cannot speak to its disinfecting abilities.

The bottom line is that the only cleaner that I know of that will kill many avian diseases that is available for consumer purchase is F10. However, things like Aviclean make cleaning easier.

So, what I do is I use F10 once a week for my full cage cleaning, and I use an enzymatic cleaner or white vinegar/water for the rest of the time. I never rinse. Been doing it this way for about 2 years now.

You can use F10 and white vinegar on bowls if you want.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I clean everything with F10 once a week at the least. Perches, toys, bowls, cages... even the wooden ones. I put it in my carpet cleaner, add a few drops in my humidifer... I use it for everything.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm about to order and wanted to know which F-10 should I get. The F10 SC or F10 SCXD?
thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only difference is that the XD has soap in it. I personally use SC because I like to spray it and leave it (I don't rinse) and I would be uncomfortable doing that with the SCXD