• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can I do for bad liver/kidneys?

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel has had watery droppings for over a year now and she’s seen 3 vets, none know what’s wrong. Her droppings are also green. She did have a blood test that came back normal but the vets said it only detects something wrong when it gets really bad. I suspect it could be her liver or kidneys. Does anyone have any tips or anything I can try? She also has had giardia in the past, if anyone knows any holistic remedies for that I would appreciate it! Thanks! :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My cockatiel has had watery droppings for over a year now and she’s seen 3 vets, none know what’s wrong. Her droppings are also green. She did have a blood test that came back normal but the vets said it only detects something wrong when it gets really bad. I suspect it could be her liver or kidneys. Does anyone have any tips or anything I can try? She also has had giardia in the past, if anyone knows any holistic remedies for that I would appreciate it! Thanks! :)
Have any pics of her poo? What’s she eating currently? Any problems in attitude or energy?

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Here is a picture. We switched from the fruity Zupreem pellets to roudybush. She eats veggies but none that would make it this watery. Energy level seems fine but every once in a while she doesn’t seem to be as energetic

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So, watery droppings can be a sign of kidney issues. Did you vet test for that? There is a study that suggests that an all pellet diet for a cockatiel can be hard on some tiels kidneys. We have a tiel at the rescue that I help with right now that has kidney issues. We're still doing tests but the vet has recommended decreasing the amount of pellets, increasing vegetable intake and making sure the tiel has plenty of water to drink. Since tiels are granivores, I believe they should have some seed in their diet. I am not saying this is what's going on with your tiel because I am not a vet obviously but it's something to perhaps ask your vet about. Are her droppings watery all of the time or some of the time? At different times of day?

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
So, watery droppings can be a sign of kidney issues. Did you vet test for that? There is a study that suggests that an all pellet diet for a cockatiel can be hard on some tiels kidneys. We have a tiel at the rescue that I help with right now that has kidney issues. We're still doing tests but the vet has recommended decreasing the amount of pellets, increasing vegetable intake and making sure the tiel has plenty of water to drink. Since tiels are granivores, I believe they should have some seed in their diet. I am not saying this is what's going on with your tiel because I am not a vet obviously but it's something to perhaps ask your vet about. Are her droppings watery all of the time or some of the time? At different times of day?
They did a blood test to test for kidney values but that came back normal. But that only shows once the kidneys are only functioning on 30%. So she said it’s still possible it could be the kidneys and the test just doesn’t show it yet. Her droppings are watery all of the time. I will try adding lots of extra veggies to her diet. She can’t have more than a teaspoon of seeds a day because I’m trying to get her weight down

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
How is the tiel at your rescue doing with more grains and moisture in its diet? Has its droppings gone back to normal?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How is the tiel at your rescue doing with more grains and moisture in its diet? Has its droppings gone back to normal?
He acts completely normal. The vet wants to run another test. So that will probably be done after Christmas. I am not his foster mom but will check in with her to see if his droppings are any less watery.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I am not sure about kidneys, but milk thistle and lactulose really helped my guy when he was having liver issues. You can buy milk thistle to put in his water, but your vet should be able to provide you with a thistle/lactulose mix that is given by mouth.

What liver function tests did they do? I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion from another avian vet. I would be cautious about trying holistic options without being sure what is really going on.

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
I am not sure about kidneys, but milk thistle and lactulose really helped my guy when he was having liver issues. You can buy milk thistle to put in his water, but your vet should be able to provide you with a thistle/lactulose mix that is given by mouth.

What liver function tests did they do? I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion from another avian vet. I would be cautious about trying holistic options without being sure what is really going on.
The only reason I’m asking for holistic opinions is because I’ve been to three different avian vets and they all don’t know what’s wrong. The only other option is non avian vets and I dont think I wanna do that. I’ve tried milk thistle in the past but maybe I should try again, thank you :)