• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What bird?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi! I was hoping someone could identify this bird. I know the pictures are from rather far away. They were 1691518057061.jpg 1691517720924.jpg taken on May 2, 2021 in Winterhaven, CA. Thanks!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe a sterling??

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Body shape is kind of like a grosbeak.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Black-headed grosbeak?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Black-headed grosbeak?
I think the body is too blue or grey. Black headed grosbeak looks almost peach or orange on the belly.

it’s not a bird I have ever seen.

do you recall if it was a finch or woodpecker or anything?

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
It was about the size of a robin or large sparrow. Ebird doesn't have a suggestion probably because of the distance. I can't edit it sharp enough to really get a good outcome. I'll try posting it in iNaturalist. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know if I find out!

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
From the wing bars and what appears to be a conical beak I think it is a Black Headed Grosbeak. According to Audubon the female has buff under parts and a finely streaked breast, unfortunately, it doesn't give a description of a juvenile... But it is that time of year. So perhaps it's a baby.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think the color might be different than it looks in the photo because of shadows and black headed grosbeak is the best choice. I looked through woodpeckers of the western US but that’s not correct. The wing bars are so striking!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
From the wing bars and what appears to be a conical beak I think it is a Black Headed Grosbeak. According to Audubon the female has buff under parts and a finely streaked breast, unfortunately, it doesn't give a description of a juvenile... But it is that time of year. So perhaps it's a baby.
This was taken in May of 2021 in Winterhaven, CA, so possibly a juvenile.

I think the color might be different than it looks in the photo because of shadows and black headed grosbeak is the best choice. I looked through woodpeckers of the western US but that’s not correct. The wing bars are so striking!
I'm going with black headed Groesbeck, too! That's the consensus on iNaturalist! And I agree about the wingbars! I had never seen a bird so striking at that time! The memory of that day came back so clearly when I happened upon this photo!