• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are "safe" candles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessherpaco

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherry
Ever since we have gotten Paco I have not lit a candle in the house! With the holidays and colder weather coming I really want to burn candles! I am not sure what candles to get? I heard beeswax and soy! Not sure which are ok??? Thought I would ask before I put the more expensive candles on my Santa list! :lol:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Lead wicks are no longer used, have been illegal for some years now. My thought on candles are that none are safe but then, I have flying birds!:D

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Orange slices and cinnamon sticks simmering on the stove :)

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Don't shoot me for this, but I actually have Scentsy.
:tomatothrow:

I did a lot of research on the company and the products they use. Its a melter, not a burner, and instead of using a flame, they use a light bulb. Now, the melting of any petroleum-based wax can cause complications with birds. With a typical burner in which a tealight or candle is used, the heat is focused and unregulated and the wax breaks down and will eventually evaporate into the air because of the increased temperature, which is what causes the problems, the evaporated wax.

Scentsy used food-grade petroleum, which is much higher quality. That, combined with the fact that it uses a light bulb instead of an open flame, and the wattage on the light bulb is small enough so it just barely melts the wax (it usually halfway maintains its original shape instead of pooling). It "warms the scent" out of the wax instead. The wax NEVER evaporates, the heat emitted from the lightbulb is not enough to cause it to do this.

That being said, this NEVER is going when the birds are out, its NEVER burned in the same room as the birds, and I always keep my bird room door shut so as to limit exposure they have...can't be too careful. For the upstairs, which is in much closer vicinity to the birds, I boil the orange slices and cinnamon sticks :) Its heavenly!

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Don't shoot me for this, but I actually have Scentsy.
:tomatothrow:

I did a lot of research on the company and the products they use. Its a melter, not a burner, and instead of using a flame, they use a light bulb. Now, the melting of any petroleum-based wax can cause complications with birds. With a typical burner in which a tealight or candle is used, the heat is focused and unregulated and the wax breaks down and will eventually evaporate into the air because of the increased temperature, which is what causes the problems, the evaporated wax.

Scentsy used food-grade petroleum, which is much higher quality. That, combined with the fact that it uses a light bulb instead of an open flame, and the wattage on the light bulb is small enough so it just barely melts the wax (it usually halfway maintains its original shape instead of pooling). It "warms the scent" out of the wax instead. The wax NEVER evaporates, the heat emitted from the lightbulb is not enough to cause it to do this.

That being said, this NEVER is going when the birds are out, its NEVER burned in the same room as the birds, and I always keep my bird room door shut so as to limit exposure they have...can't be too careful. For the upstairs, which is in much closer vicinity to the birds, I boil the orange slices and cinnamon sticks :) Its heavenly!
I won't shoot you... I use Scentsy too :D It's my favorite! Way better than anything else I've ever used.

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
You get no heat and no smell from them but I actually like the battery operated flameless candles. They even have a "flicker" effect. They are totally safe around pets as well. Not exactly traditional but if you keep an open mind and depending on the use, they can look pretty cool.....

Status
Not open for further replies.