• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are Eclectus like as pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
So what are female Eclectus parrots like as pets? I met a beautiful 12 year old one tonight at our bird club meeting and I may foster her. The person that was working with our adoption program (regular person is in Germany right now) could not remember which species she was just that she is the second largest species and is one of the most endangered in the wild. She said the species name starts with a "N" and that she couldn't pronounce it.

I've always wanted a female ekkie and even though Jasmine is only used to women she is just to beautiful resist. Our adoption program is also being swamped right now, 5 birds this month.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Here is a listing of subspecies. The only one that starts with N is New Guinea?

I love ekkies. IMO, they are the perfect birds.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Yes I want one really badly but I can't for a while. They are so stunning. I posted a thread yesterday asking about color differences, there maybe some info for you on that? I do know they can be loud from what was said. :)

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
My Gypsy took a while to come around. If you're going to foster, don't expect a cuddly bird. From what I've gathered most females are on the independent side. You will want to keep an eye out for nesting behaviors like trying to get to the floor to find a dark place to hide. (and later jump out in full attack mode!)

Be very patient with her. My ekkie gets unnerved by quick movements and loud behavior, although she's adjusted quite well over the years. They are rumored to be "boring" birds because when in an unsure situation they will freeze like a statue. But when they think nobody is watching...look out! lol Gypsy loves cartoons, elmo and blue especially.

Make sure you read up on their nutritional needs. Ekkies have a longer digestive tract than other parrots, therefor they are able to take in more nutrients from the foods they are given. Anything with added vitamins or "fortified" could cause issues with toe-tapping and wing flipping. You will want to stay away from colored pellets and be very careful with pellets in general. I feed un-pellets & green chunks. Phoenix Foraging Rolls
Veggies are very important. Gypsy's favorite is sweet potato and birdie bread.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I would always choose a male first. There are females who are loving and sweet, but in general, they are territorial and hormonal, and there is usually a vast difference in temperament between males and females. Some research into how these birds live and breed in the wild will give you some insight as to why there is such a big difference in their personalities and how they interact with each other and with humans. In the wild, the males move around more and get along with each other as they forage for food, while the females choose a hollow tree and protect it fiercely, sometimes with their lives. They are not monogamous and several males will court a female. Some females may have less nesting instincts than others and may make perfect companion birds, whereas some males may not be as friendly as others; generally, though, males make the better companions. If you go to Parrot Talk you can join an Eclectus email list. Reading the daily emails will help to enlighten you more about living with these beautiful birds and help you to make a more informed choice as to which sex and sub-species will be better for you.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
The owners of females that I have spoken with all love their redheads dearly despite their possible 'attitudes'. And many females are very sweet and don't fall into the general classification of having problematic personalities when hormonal. The more info you can get on this particular female will help you immensely. :)

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Marie, I know what you are saying about the females, but I still would not recommend a female as a 'first' eclectus. If I had gotten Roxy first before Remy, I would never recommend an Eclectus as a companion bird at all! I did everything 'right', from doing extensive research to choosing a great breeder to using positive reinforcement, etc. Roxy was one of those females who seemed 'hardwired' from the start with the protective instinct. I could handle her, but the end result was that having her in the household caused more stress than we could manage, and although it was a really difficult decision to send her back to her breeder, it was right and necessary for me and the birds. I was careful in my post to not say that ALL females are like this, and you are correct in advising to study this particular female. One thing I know for sure from all the female eclectus owners I have talked to is that the females have a much stronger hormonal/protective instinct than males, and it's hard for them to be a complete companion bird when they're busy claiming the kitchen cupboard/bathroom/closet as their own, LOL.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Learning about females is a MUST understanding their thought process is a more pos way to look at it than thinking they are (mean parrots) i live with 4 female Electus that are perm residents plus usually a surrender here and there and baby sit for 2 off and on...i approach them differently than other parrots always talking to them ..i NEVER reach into a dark space and get them we put a perch on all our females doors and if they are on the perch i step them up if they are not i walk away 95% of the time when i come back they are there waiting for me..when she is in a zone she is not thinking .you need to talk her out of her zone if you get mad and yell or be mean to her..They DO NOT FORGIVE once you loose your females trust it is VERY hard to get back...I wish there was more info about females out there for people to read(i had started a book before i got sick,with encouragement from Rosemary Lowe yrs ago)maybe i should make it a goal agian..better have some fix my spelling(since my stroke it sucks)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Janet, I also wouldn't personally recommend a female ekkie as a first ekkie either if someone is looking and gathering info. :) But since this is regarding a particular bird that kind of fell in their lap and are thinking of fostering they need to find out as much as they can to see where it fits the female persona. Ruby was my first ekkie and she doesn't fit the general rule. She is wonderful. Years later I adopted a male who ended up needing a home with no other birds. He also didn't fit the general rule.
Also Tanya makes an important point. Education is key to living with an ekkie, males included. :)

Last edited:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Learning about females is a MUST understanding their thought process is a more pos way to look at it than thinking they are (mean parrots) i live with 4 female Electus that are perm residents plus usually a surrender here and there and baby sit for 2 off and on...i approach them differently than other parrots always talking to them ..i NEVER reach into a dark space and get them we put a perch on all our females doors and if they are on the perch i step them up if they are not i walk away 95% of the time when i come back they are there waiting for me..when she is in a zone she is not thinking .you need to talk her out of her zone if you get mad and yell or be mean to her..They DO NOT FORGIVE once you loose your females trust it is VERY hard to get back...I wish there was more info about females out there for people to read(i had started a book before i got sick,with encouragement from Rosemary Lowe yrs ago)maybe i should make it a goal agian..better have some fix my spelling(since my stroke it sucks)
Since the original question was if Eclectus make good pets, the description you just gave of how to live with the females, Tanya is an accurate one, and answers the question well. The females certainly are gorgeous, and are handleable 'with care', but if I could only have one bird and wanted that bird to be a companion that I could interact with and possibly touch on a daily basis, then I would definitely recommend a male over a female. IN GENERAL, they are much less moody and want to participate in daily activities much more, just because they are natured differently. If I had many birds and it didn't matter to me so much if there were times that certain birds are more unapproachable, then having a female/s would be easier. If really helps to know exactly what you want from having a bird as a companion (I really don't like to say 'pet') before choosing which species/sex/subspecies to add to your life.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Since the original question was if Eclectus make good pets, the description you just gave of how to live with the females, Tanya is an accurate one, and answers the question well. The females certainly are gorgeous, and are handleable 'with care', but if I could only have one bird and wanted that bird to be a companion that I could interact with and possibly touch on a daily basis, then I would definitely recommend a male over a female. IN GENERAL, they are much less moody and want to participate in daily activities much more, just because they are natured differently. If I had many birds and it didn't matter to me so much if there were times that certain birds are more unapproachable, then having a female/s would be easier. If really helps to know exactly what you want from having a bird as a companion (I really don't like to say 'pet') before choosing which species/sex/subspecies to add to your life.
:)Agree..i just see so many females that dont get homes because of the stigma put on them and everyone wants the males have a waiting list for them..i just feel that more info besides neg things need to get out there about Females so they to can find a place :heart::heart::heart:I JUST LOVE them and feel they are VERY misunderstood kinda put them in the catagory as the lg male Toos (ok sorry about rambling)i do Agree with what you have said females need alot of consideration and are not fo everyone..especially if you dont learn about them..they do not forgive mistakes very easily,but that being said they can be WONDERFUL

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Rodney babysat a female Ekkie once, and never again. She stalked him and tried to nail/attack him. lol.

However, that same Ekkie was a fabulous pet at her Mommy's house. One of my good friends, Fallon, has a great female Ekkie, but lately she has been moody since Fallon has been taking classes and working (not having enough time with her). So, I guess it's more of a case by case thing.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
sorry Lobby got carried away as a pet they can be great just does depend on what your expectations are...and the bird if you foster her take your time and give her time read learn and enjoy her for what ever she develops into

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The quality of any parrot as a pet has more to do with you than anything else. Providing the environment they need. The proper diet and interaction they need etc. The bird is going to be a bird so it all boils down to "us" being good parronts and the bird will thrive no matter what species it is. If you and your household adapt to what the bird needs it will work out. You can't generalize how they will be because they are all individuals and the result of their past.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The quality of any parrot as a pet has more to do with you than anything else. Providing the environment they need. The proper diet and interaction they need etc. The bird is going to be a bird so it all boils down to "us" being good parronts and the bird will thrive no matter what species it is. If you and your household adapt to what the bird needs it will work out. You can't generalize how they will be because they are all individuals and the result of their past.
I agree with you to some extent John but I also think that each bird is an individual and every bird has individual needs. I know a number of people who have females and have no problems with them at all and absolutely adore them. I have two males who are siblings and they couldn't be more different. The older one, Cooper, is as sweet as can be. The younger one is a bully and more like a female than any male Ekkie I've ever met. He's never been mean to me but he's horrible to all the other birds in the house, including his own brother who loves him terribly.

I also have to admit that their diet can be a challenge. If you aren't a big fresh food person and depend a lot on pellets, Eclectus may not be the bird for you.

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
To be honest when I first got Jacko I had NO idea what I was getting into, we've been through a lot together and he was an extremely agressive bird due to neglect but in the end it all payed off with understanding and love. I also did tons of research on his diet and had to remove all pellets so he only eats fresh food every day. Their diet is very important and I'm still learning more about it, Jacko is sensative to many foods which causes him to scratch and pluck so I must always watch him carefuly.

Jacko is now the most gentle snuggly bird I've ever owned.

He has also chosen to bond with me only, will gladly growl and bite anyone else. :laughing2:

I would recomend doing a ton of research, both online, the library and talking to ekkie breeders.

To sum it all up, the eclectus is an amazingly intelligent parrot and with the right understanding they can become great companions for many years. I find they can send out so many emotions just through the gaze of their eyes and how they look at you. I love my Jacko and hope to own a female ekkie someday (not for breeding). With their beauty comes a lot of responsibility.

Last edited:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Couldn't have described them better Tayna :)
I love my girl and I would have LOTS of Ekkies if I had more room, but that being said, Reba had a time where I had to towel her daily to give her meds and like Tayna said, I lost her trust and that is VERY hard to regain. She will take food from me but I can not handle her like I used to. I used to be able to turn her upside down in my hand.

Last edited:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Gypsy was my first parrot. Its been quite the experience. I actually found my conure because Gypsy just didn't want to be dealt with. She was very content (and still is) hanging on her play stand and doing her own thing. Over the years and after her 2 year maturity freak-out, which made it almost impossible to clean her cage or have her step up, she's has grown into a very loving baby.

I can now cuddle her in what we call "biiiiig hugs" for a few moments. I let her know what I'm doing before actually wrapping my other arm around her though. There have been times that she let out a bit of a growl and I immediately let go. She's also very content just sitting on my arm while I watch tv. I think she'd much rather sit there with me than have me trying to snuggle her.

She was once also very aggressive with my conure. Go so far as to seek him out.hunt him down. Now I'm able to hold them both at the same time, keeping a close eye on Gypsy. I honestly believe the older they get, the more settled into their mature being they become, they become better pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.