• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
That is lovely Lucky, she is a common Boa constrictor or Boa imperator or Boa constrictor imperator.... she's been with us over 20 years now and the scientific name has changed almost as often as she sheds :roflmao::p she was a tiny little noodle when she came home.

@riddick07 what is Lucky's actual age?
Scientific name only changed onceo_O she’s a Boa imperator used to be a sub species of Boa constrictor before the revisions, so it used to be Boa constrictor imperator aka Bci. People just get the boa classification wrong all the time & mix the common & scientific & locality names so it feels like it changes a lot.

She just turned 20 years old. So just feels like longer :lol:She’s only 8ft long even though she looks giant when stretched out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Pixiebeak is he allowed to stay on my red lime tree? IMG_9704.jpeg IMG_9702.jpeg
This tree is not a cheap one so this has to be an extra special caterpillar for it to be allowed to stay there and keep eating!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Please let him stay! I love caterpillars! He’s just doing his best. :awww:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Please let him stay! I love caterpillars! He’s just doing his best. :awww:
Oh I would not harm him but I would happily move him to a non cared about bush if he is a regular kind of caterpillar.... if he was monarch or another species needing special help and consideration he would be allowed to stay where he is and eat my prized expensive native red lime tree!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I saw what I think was a cooper's hawk. It was pretty far away. But I managed two pretty lousy pictures :lol: Here's the best one 20240120_133947.jpg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, well, I nearly ran over this little one with my lawnmower—twice! This is a hatchling and I believe a River Cooter.

I put him (her?) up with some water, dandelion greens, and an azalea blossom while I finished up. Then I put him back where I found him with his goodies and covered him back over with leaves!

IMG_8326.jpeg
IMG_8330.jpeg
IMG_8332.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is quite possibly the cutest creature ever posted in this thread! :awww:

Rebel

View attachment 408690

And finally, my absolute favorite local wildlife that I'm so lucky and blessed to have is the majestic and regal Red-Tailed Hawk they are my main subject that I am always striving to get better and clearer pictures of. I have adored them since I was 5 years old and my love and desire to see them has never waned so it felt like the perfect way to close this post out :)
View attachment 408700
Just yesterday i was watching 3 black birds chasing a hawk. I didnt have my phone on me to video it.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just yesterday i was watching 3 black birds chasing a hawk. I didnt have my phone on me to video it.
Oh that must have been amazing to see but sad for the Hawk to be harassed like that.

Rebel

Oh that must have been amazing to see but sad for the Hawk to be harassed like that.
They do that because the hawk is getting to close to their nests. The hawk easily out maneuvered them.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They do that because the hawk is getting to close to their nests. The hawk easily out maneuvered them.
True,I know that's how most chases happen but I can't deny the Hawks always get my sympathy vs the other species I love every bird species of course but Hawks will always have my heart above all else in the wild.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ok, well, I nearly ran over this little one with my lawnmower—twice! This is a hatchling and I believe a River Cooter.

I put him (her?) up with some water, dandelion greens, and an azalea blossom while I finished up. Then I put him back where I found him with his goodies and covered him back over with leaves!

View attachment 444560
View attachment 444561
View attachment 444562
View attachment 444563
Awww He's soo adorable!!! :swoon: :faint:

ooooh :swoon:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
No critters today just flowers IMG_20240413_164334.jpg IMG_20240413_164338.jpg IMG_20240413_164419.jpg IMG_20240413_164316.jpg
I think these Siberian squill

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful.