• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What a Quick Learner!

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I'm so proud! On top of all the behavioral changes I've taken note of since Zeki came home yesterday, he's also been observing my behaviors.

Being the case, he dove right into eating some healthy fresh foods after watching me, and all he's ever known was Harrison's pellets! I'm so shocked at how willing he was to change his diet to eating fresh, juicy fruits, foods that are so different than the dry, crumbly, crunchy pellets that he's been used to his whole life! Can't wait to go get some more mangos and see how he likes those, and try some veggies on him! He really seemed to enjoy his tangerines(I think that's what they are.. or mandarins).~

I've also had a few surprises. He has vocabulary words I was never aware he knew. Then again, the amazons at the store always seemed funny about talking to the public, but they talk up a storm behind scenes! By far I've learned that he knows 'Hello!' and 'Step up!'. He greeted me the other day with 'Hello!' when I came home from work. He says some other things that are a little hard to determine, but we think he may have been saying 'Hey Boo' and 'Bamboo!'. Those are frequent phrases the amazons learn there from miss Bamboo, herself. Upon considering that possibility, I pulled up an old recording I had of Bamboo talking with me before it was bed time. When it got to the part where she was mimicking the cries of the store owner's daughter, he started wailing in unison with the recording of Bamboo. He's full of surprises!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Isn't it fun discovering what a parrot knows? :)

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Well,mine knows how to pick my nose with her tongue;so no,not always;-)

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
[ her for the longest time. She finally talked that night while she was scuttling around her cage, so I took that opportunity to record her. I was so surprised! Then I discovered the Blue Front over there knows majority of what Bamboo knows. He'll occasionally talk when he's out during the day, but it's once in a blue moon. He seems really timid. I think he would make an amazing fid if someone took the time to work with him. :( He's been there since early 2011. They've even cut his price down drastically to try and tempt people into taking him. I think his stand-offish nature puts people off. If you reach to pick him up he'll either run out of your reach or come at your finger with that beak, but he honestly doesn't bite that hard. He's a walk in the park compared to how hard Zeki bit people. Zeki drew blood PLENTY of times while he was over there, which I guess is why the eventually resorted to keeping him caged all day. :(

We'd honestly been humoring getting him out of there for over a year now but, neither of us had a relationship with him, but I had a very strong bond with Zeki, so I got him out first so he could be with a family he truly loved. Maybe if old Bluey isn't out later on down the road(we aren't in any position to accept any more for quite a long time) we'll help to get him out, either as a permanent home or to foster. He truly does need a home, though. He's coming up on being a store bird for 3 years now, and I see SO much potential in him.

---

I also know the nose thing! Rosco LOOOVES to try and pick my nose for me and I usually make him stop 'cause it feels fummy and I don't want my nose ripped off if something startles him. :lol:

Last edited: