• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What’s your Travel cage?

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I’m looking to buy a travel cage for my pair of budgies but I’m not sure what I want. What suggestions for travel cages do you have?

I’ve seen the little travel cages made from bar, the clear vinyl plastic type amazon carries, and the Hard acrylic travel cages.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use the generic older style tiny bird cages they sell at most pet stores for my budgie- It’s the sort of cage nearly all pet stores have and tell you is fine for birds to live in.
For my macaw at the moment I use a pak-o-bird carrier.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I have an a&e travel backpack carrier that is very similar to this one: A&E Cage Company Travel Bird Carrier | bird Travel Carriers | PetSmart
Except mine only has the open mesh part on the front and it was less expensive at my local parrot store, I've had it for a while now and it's very sturdy and by far my favorite carrier. Otherwise I use a small cage that is similar to the cages they sell at pet stores and that works as a small carrier too.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Whatever cage you decide on for travel, make sure that the bar spacing is no larger than 1/2 inch.

I have small travel cages for trips to the vet from Kaytee that I got at the local pet store for my budgies. Colby, my cockatiel, has a spare generic cage as his travel carrier.

Here's a decent carrier for travel available on Amazon (if you have that service near you): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8

As Shezbug said, most small cages at pet stores are perfectly acceptable as travel carriers. I used to have one of the fabric and plastic carriers, but my 'tiel didn't like it because it was too narrow for his long tail feathers, and it was difficult for him to turn around.

Remember to always associate the travel carrier with positive things when training your birds to enter it.

Good luck in your search for the perfect travel cage! :D

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I have two so far.

My conures I carry in a backpack It's nothing fancy. It just zips in the front with a mesh window. Luckily, they haven't chewed at it at all but I also keep an eye on that.

For my RB2 I use one of the King's Aluminum travel carriers. It's a bit small for him, but he's never been in it for more than 30 minutes so I don't worry too much. It's great though. Super easy to clean and very lightweight. Can attach perches and toys and food/water dishes easily.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I have this carrier for just transporting to the vet, etc. Works well across the board, though I do want to get the larger model for Rowan. I love how light it is and how compact it stores. However, the protective film was sewn into the seams and that made it quite the hassle to peel off cleanly. That's my only complaint.

For long drives, I got my hands on an old King's Cages finch breeding cage, but I haven't actually been able to put it to any use, yet. :rolleyes: I wanted the largest cage I could possibly fit in my car and this thing spans the entire back seat, with the added bonus of its solid sides serving to both keep direct sun off Marii and to contain his mess from getting into the cushions. He went on a handful of roadtrips with me before 2020 and I was anticipating more, but I'm sure you know how that story ends. Eventually I want to replace the front panels with something more practical and without the stupid guillotine doors, but that can wait until it's at least feasible to travel again.
1609489690880.png

I don't have any proper hotel cages for my parrots as I just leave them with the bird sitter when I travel.