• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What’s wrongs with my Budgie?

Fat_Gator

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Maddison
Hey I’m new to this app but I wanted to come on here first before checking in with the vet to see if anyone had any suggestions..

I got a new budgie yesterday from a local pet store she’s a female (not sure the age the pet store didn’t tell us) anyways she’s great to hold not moody or aggressive but I have noticed a few odd things… likeI haven’t seen her have any water yet and it’s been close to 24 hours another odd thing is I noticed she doesn’t poo as much as our other budgie and when she’s does it’s gets stuck right at the vent I put her in a warm bath and a whole chunk of probably 6-7 poos came off. Could this be something bad or do I just need to trim the feathers? The other thing is she has quite a scaly and crusty beak which I’ve read about and it’s most probably mites which I’ve now got treatment for…

her condition overall really upsets me as she can’t tell me what’s wrong and I really want to help her..

Any comment or suggestions are much appreciated.. thank you :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like you really need her vet checked asap.

Hopefully you’re observing proper quarantine guidelines to keep your existing bird safe from any illness your new bird may have.

Budgies don’t drink an awful lot and are often a little sneaky with eating at new homes.

Don’t trim any feathers, a healthy bird doesn’t have poop stick to its butt feathers- get your vet appointment set up asap

Fat_Gator

Real Name
Maddison

Hopefully you’re observing proper quarantine guidelines to keep your existing bird safe from any illness your new bird may have.

Budgies don’t drink an awful lot and are often a little sneaky with eating at new homes.

Don’t trim any feathers, a healthy bird doesn’t have poop stick to its butt feathers- get your vet appointment set up asap

Yes we are keeping the new bird and old bird in seperate cages in seperate rooms that’s what I read I hope that’s right..

I did read that bringing a new bird to a new home can interrupt bowel movements and make it sticky but I don’t think to the extent it’s at..
Thank you very much.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your new bird after just bringing it home. You're doing the right thing keeping them in separate rooms. Be sure you're also washing your hands thoroughly before and after interacting with each bird or their cage.

It's always advised to get new birds into the vet for a wellness exam, bloodwork, smear testing, etc.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup:

Fat_Gator

Real Name
Maddison
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your new bird after just bringing it home. You're doing the right thing keeping them in separate rooms. Be sure you're also washing your hands thoroughly before and after interacting with each bird or their cage.

It's always advised to get new birds into the vet for a wellness exam, bloodwork, smear testing, etc.
thank you so much :) she’s doing a little better but I will definitely get her into the vet just to make sure she’s ok.