• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Went to see her again today. New pic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Also, once you have her home, you should encourage your GF to spend time around her without you there, even if its just while she sits on her cage with your GF in the room. We recently took in a 2 yr old Alexandrine with a Preference for men. My husband is his best friend, and I am chopped liver! LOL So I spend alot of time with him when my husband isnt around, and over time its seemingly encouraging him that I am not so bad, LOL
But as soon as my husband is home.....back to being chopped liver, LOL

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I love scarlets!! SOO beautiful!
Percy's not too fond of men, so when my Dad wants to spend time with him, he sits with treats in his hand and Percy comes to him, he's getting better :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can figure out time to give her treats. Or maybe even foster her for awhile and see if she can be persuaded to like or tolerate women.

Im still just glowing over the fact that she likes me so much though. Great feeling :D
She's a gorgeous bird, but she's a large mac, and IME, they choose their person. If she doesn't like women and wants to bond with you, that's just nature's way of telling her to pick her mate, be loyal, and drive away intruders. You've gotten good advice--you can try to train her and socialize her. And long acquaintanceship with your GF might blunt her distaste, but we would be remiss if we didn't warn you that she will most likely always see your GF as a threat (to one degree or another), especially during hormonal times. You can try to work around it, of course, and you should plan to, if you bring her home. All I'm saying is: be prepared :hug8:

Last edited:

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for all the encouragement and goof ideas guys. I wouldn't feel too bad about putting her on hold for adoption at the store (the owner loves me and wants me to be with her) so that hopefully I can come by every day to interact with her but my gf can go too whenever she can and if I'm with her I can make myself scarce while they interact.

I would foster her here but im not around enough this summer to have her full time right now (summer school plus 2 jobs to save up for the year so I can quit work and be home more for the birds and only do school) my gf is home to play with the other birds but wouldn't be able to take rajah out. So for now I feel the shop is the best place for her. But im determined to keep working with her and have my gf do the same. At the very least it will be a great learning experience for the both of us :)

Again thanks for all the support. And similar stories!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
Also as much as I already love her to death I wouldn't want to end up being forced to rehome her down the road. It would be so much worse for both of us. So I will keep a very open mind. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. And if she finds happiness with another better suited family then I would be okay with that.

But for now she is MINE :D

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
I wouldn't get discouraged about it. Remember that she's still getting used to you and then your GF comes into the picture and she was like 'Hey, back off cutie, this one's mine!" :lol:

But seriously - when you take this gorgeous baby home, make sure that your GF gets to feed her and interact with her without your presence. That way she can develop her own bond with the bird. You will figure her out soon enough!

She's just stunning!:heart:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is beautiful! Congrats!

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I may be the only one to say this but Does your gf wear glasses, nail polish, jewelry, hair down?
Several little things can cause aversions with the bird. See if you can narrow down issues besides just lumping it into females.
Then again it might end up that it is what it is.
One of my conures doesn't like me around with glasses on. Other stories have been posted around AA as well.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good point Kayla. Wearing certain colors can set a bird off too. I had to ditch a red t-shirt, because my birds hated it. Black is another color some birds have a problem with.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I see most, if not all, of the suggestions involve the bird changing.

My suggestion is to get used to the idea that she wont change, and like your girlfriend, and acceptence of that will help you modify YOUR life so that you can all live in harmony :hug8:

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
When we went to visit I made sure she had her hair up. No glasses and made her take off her bracelet (in the past when I wore rings and stuff when handling macaws they would practically chew my finger off trying to get at the "toy" lol)

I've worn black and shades of grey with her. She has an aversion to the color red I know about so I had my gf wear a low tone deep blue shirt and jeans like mine.

So im thinking that her clothes and such didn't set her off.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
When we went to visit I made sure she had her hair up. No glasses and made her take off her bracelet (in the past when I wore rings and stuff when handling macaws they would practically chew my finger off trying to get at the "toy" lol)

I've worn black and shades of grey with her. She has an aversion to the color red I know about so I had my gf wear a low tone deep blue shirt and jeans like mine.

So im thinking that her clothes and such didn't set her off.

That'd awesome, Eric. You're paying attention to her needs and making it as easy as possible on her to adjust to you and your gf. :highfive:

sierra

Walking the driveway
I adopted an older female Scarlet about a year ago. I am her third home. The first was a man, and the story goes that she "turned on him" after seven years and bit him agressively any chance she had. This guy had hand fed her from a chick and didn't abuse her. The second home completely ignored her, giving her cheap discount store seed only, and no toys or interaction. This bird literally had dust on her, and cobwebs in her cage when I went to see her. Dirty water, rusty cage, one perch....broke my heart. She really doesn't like men, but she will take treats through the cage from my husband and son-in-law. It has taken a year, but she will step up for me and let me carry her from cage to play stand.
If your gf is content to start slowly, I think she can get to a point where they can have a relationship. Just be VERY careful to have gf at a safe distance when you have the bird out of the cage. Don't expect too much too soon. Allow the bird to settle in, get to know your household routine, and she will be fine. She may never want gf to handle her...mine won't let DH handle her. He is fine with that...he still enjoys her company.
My scarlet is an absolute joy. She is such a character, and we absolutely love her! Good luck! That is a beautiful bird, and I know you would give her a great life!
Sierra

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I usually say, 'follow your heart,' but in this case, i would say, 'think' because the bird is always the looser. You're doing a pretty good job of being objective so far, keep it up:) The bird is drop dead gorgeous:heart:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
You are moving slowly and keeping all options open and that is good. At the end of the day it is the bird that must be the important faction in all of this. Like with our blue front, I know he is never going to be very taken with me and have had to accept this. the way we live now is acceptable to all members of our flock and family and providing it stays this peaceful I can live with it! Do not expect the earth and it will find its own level and work out. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.