• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, this just happened...

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
That’s not at all what I was thinking a boxer/chi would look like!!
Me either! Although the crazy somewhat buggy eyes make sense

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I did DNA tests on my four dogs - two mixed breeds and two purebreds. The rests were interesting. Mostly what I expected ... with a few surprises!

I would recommend it if you are curious. Just be aware that they are not 100% accurate, especially if you have a heavily-mixed dog.

Screenshot (63).png

Hmmm 2% St Bernard, huh?

Resized_20210603_123816.jpeg

Not very likely.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
She'll probably end up as a Chihuahua boxer mix or something crazy and throw you totally off :lol: she's soooo cute!!
:rofl: I've seen a Jack Russell Terrier and Siberian Husky mix before. His eyes were the most intense blue, and he was very small.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend of a friend had a Labrador-Chihuahua mix. The lab was the mum and we all wondered how the dad managed to impregnate her - did he use a stepladder??

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a sweet, sweet face! Congratulations!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
We did an Embark test for Argus when he was small

Since Maremma sheepdog and Pyranees are so close, I just say he is 60% Pyr, 30 Boxer, and 10 English Spring Spaniel.

Just ordered one for Armina.
That sounds like our other mixed breed dog - he came back essentially 1/3 Anatolian Shepherd 1/3 Great Pyranees and 1/3 St Bernard.

Not surprisingly, he was a very big boy by the time he finished growing. :laugh:

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This is Bear's DNA result with puppy picture ...

Screenshot (64).png

And as a full grown doggo:

20191007_122847.jpg

Sitting on a picnic table, because when you weigh 150lbs, you sit where ever you want to sit.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
So far I am extremely relieved that she is already 10 weeks old.

We got Gus at 8 weeks and it felt like ages for him to reach where she already is.. quiet in her crate as long as I'm in the room, able to go up stairs on her own, holding her pee for 4 whole hours and pottying outside at least half the time..

Now I can spend my energy just preventing him from crushing her with his heavy, floppy play bows

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was a choice between Bear or Moose. We knew he would get big and I wanted a sufficiently large name. Both names suit him, but Bear felt more dignified.
Love both name choices but I agree Bear is perfect.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Floors?

Automatic vacuum cleaner. I can tell you the one my kids have (they have a dog) that I ran and bought.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Floors?

Automatic vacuum cleaner. I can tell you the one my kids have (they have a dog) that I ran and bought.
Is it any good? We had one at the office and the dumb thing kept getting stuck behind the office printer and saying “I’m stuck!”
I’d love to have a smart robot vacuum.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Is it any good? We had one at the office and the dumb thing kept getting stuck behind the office printer and saying “I’m stuck!”
I’d love to have a smart robot vacuum.
I'll post info and details tonight.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
It seems like this has turned out to be a really good decision for Argus, :xflove: he adores her and she is really well behaved puppy.

He leads her outside to potty every time, stopping to make sure she is following (kind of annoying since his huge butt blocks my path but its cute). I tried to sleep through her scheduled outing once and he would not let me.
He loves to wrestle and I was really really worried about him crushing her, but after a few reminders he seems to be doing pretty good. He will lay down and let her wrestle with his head instead of getting his big paws involved. He lets her bite his lips and I have no idea why he is okay with that but he is always wagging. He lets her chase him around the yard, but he backs off off when she runs to a corner for a break.
They actually cuddled in bed yesterday.

And also yesterday - omg. I started letting them go outside alone because they were doing so well, but I watch from the security camera. Of course my video feed lagged and while I was restarting the app I heard her start *screaming*, horribly screaming. My boyfriend was closer and he ran out and found Argus on top of her growling. He shoved Gus out of the way and she had her little head stuck through the gate posts and was caught. Freed her and they all came running inside.
Re-watched the video feed... when she stuck her head through the gate, Argus stood up from where he was lounging on the deck and started watching her very closely. When she pulled back and couldn't get out, he ran down to her side. When she started to whimper and flail he *grabbed her collar* in his mouth and started tugging on it, growling.
He was trying to save her! :crycry:

Argus is our spoiled baby and we really only got a puppy because he wanted one so bad, lol. But she is also much calmer, cuddlier, and more obedient than he has ever been. Very much a relief for mama.

Only issue so far is that he keeps wanting to eat all the food (and he wants her little toys because they are new, but he doesn't mind if she plays with his old stuff instead). She won't eat if he isn't eating, but when he finishes his he starts on hers. He has always been free fed and naturally limited himself, but now he's eating 3 times as much as normal from trying to clear both bowls.
I read about how important it is not to let your puppy dominate or bother your older dog but it's kind of adorable - if I tell him to leave her food alone and he ignores me, she takes that as permission and starts barking at him and trying to swat him away with her tiny little paws. :roflmao:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like this has turned out to be a really good decision for Argus, :xflove: he adores her and she is really well behaved puppy.

He leads her outside to potty every time, stopping to make sure she is following (kind of annoying since his huge butt blocks my path but its cute). I tried to sleep through her scheduled outing once and he would not let me.
He loves to wrestle and I was really really worried about him crushing her, but after a few reminders he seems to be doing pretty good. He will lay down and let her wrestle with his head instead of getting his big paws involved. He lets her bite his lips and I have no idea why he is okay with that but he is always wagging. He lets her chase him around the yard, but he backs off off when she runs to a corner for a break.
They actually cuddled in bed yesterday.

And also yesterday - omg. I started letting them go outside alone because they were doing so well, but I watch from the security camera. Of course my video feed lagged and while I was restarting the app I heard her start *screaming*, horribly screaming. My boyfriend was closer and he ran out and found Argus on top of her growling. He shoved Gus out of the way and she had her little head stuck through the gate posts and was caught. Freed her and they all came running inside.
Re-watched the video feed... when she stuck her head through the gate, Argus stood up from where he was lounging on the deck and started watching her very closely. When she pulled back and couldn't get out, he ran down to her side. When she started to whimper and flail he *grabbed her collar* in his mouth and started tugging on it, growling.
He was trying to save her! :crycry:

Argus is our spoiled baby and we really only got a puppy because he wanted one so bad, lol. But she is also much calmer, cuddlier, and more obedient than he has ever been. Very much a relief for mama.

Only issue so far is that he keeps wanting to eat all the food (and he wants her little toys because they are new, but he doesn't mind if she plays with his old stuff instead). She won't eat if he isn't eating, but when he finishes his he starts on hers. He has always been free fed and naturally limited himself, but now he's eating 3 times as much as normal from trying to clear both bowls.
I read about how important it is not to let your puppy dominate or bother your older dog but it's kind of adorable - if I tell him to leave her food alone and he ignores me, she takes that as permission and starts barking at him and trying to swat him away with her tiny little paws. :roflmao:
Oh my gosh that's so amazing that he knew what to do to try to get her out of the fence! Good job Argus!!