• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Well looks who showed up!

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
There were 15-20 before Sir Hunter came screaming to run them off, the were too close to the Kestrels nesting hole. I was only able to get one fairly poor photo before they took off.

Look who showed up.jpg

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Woah! Are there wild Quakers in your area? If so, that's so cool!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Yes there are, right down the block. There are a few breeding colonies in the Tampa area. I was both amazed and happy to see them when I moved here and was told they have been here as least 10+ years. They live in an electrical sub-statiion so no one get in to mess with them.

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
That's really cool! I've interacted and worked with a few resident Quakers at our local store, and I've always wondered how they behave in the wild lol. Were they introduced or have they always just been there to your knowledge?

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have been told they likely got away from one of the "Birdy Mills" here years ago and started breeding and now are part on the place. I also have been told they were pets that got out but I have a hard time with that as there are just too many of them

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Ah. We don’t have any wild parrots in the midwest so seeing them outside is just so cool to me lol.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
There are also Nanday Conuers here, there were a couple before the Kestrels drove them off, want the nest hole. I have heard, but not seen myself, that there are "Lovebirds" (likely Quakers or Budgies as most people seem to think all parrots are Lovebirds here) and Budgies in St Pete.

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
That's a lot of different species! That must be cool to just step outside and see all those parrots out there. Up here, we gotta drive down to the bird store to see any if you don't have any at home.