• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

welcome to softbill circle my red legged honeycreepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
what sort of food contaner do you use for there nector?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi, I spoon out about 1 tablespoon worth of nectar, to 3 tablespoons water. I mix it in a fold over type baggie, by kneading my fingers over the bag, while holding it under very warm running water. Then I pour it into a clear glass tealight candle holder. The ones I use are short and round, not the tall ones. Something like this shape, but they cost about a dollar.
Sur La Table® Glass Candleholders - Sur La Table

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
Where do you buy the tealight holders? I noticed they come in red..and hummingbirds would like those too.
Sigrid

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I get clear, and buy them at places like the grocery store or drug store like walgreens. Wally world or target might have something like these as well. I can take a pic of the actual one if you like. I had an even cooler one, but I dropped it on the tile floor.:rolleyes:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
Thanks for the links. I will look for one of those glass containers in red.

Whenever I buy hummingbird nectar, I find that the birds seem to prefer the solution I mix myself. Of course, that is different since they are wild birds. They get the flies and proteins they need themselves. With captive birds, you have to supply everything....:)

Sigrid

birdstuff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claudia
What beautiful birds! I don't think I've ever seen them before. Are they friendly Carole?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Claudia,thank you{love them chopper's toys:dancing:} I would call them semi-tame. Not real shy, but they aren't hopping on my hand or anything. The man who I got them from, has help from his son in the qt aviaries. He told me that often by the time they are finished qt'ing them, many hop right on his son's hands. If you do a search{or I can see if I can find it} you will see a woman being interviewed that is holding them.:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the links. I will look for one of those glass containers in red.

Whenever I buy hummingbird nectar, I find that the birds seem to prefer the solution I mix myself. Of course, that is different since they are wild birds. They get the flies and proteins they need themselves. With captive birds, you have to supply everything....:)

Sigrid
True. I wish I could see them more where I live. I have seen one only once, for a brief moment. My friend who lives in the country sees them a lot in her yard. Her yard has a huge pond, and lots of trees and plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.