• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Weird lump on her left chest

ankylosaur

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, first of all I want to say there are no avian vets around me. Closest one is nearly 220kms away from me (I sent an email to them a day ago, still waiting for reply) and I don't have car. If I attempt to travel there with my budgie, I have to use ferry (the trip takes longer than 2:30 hours I'm scared to travel with my budgie since it's cold and rainy everyday). I called every regular vets nearby and they said they won't look at birds so I'll take her to veterinary faculty next Thursday. I just wanted to get your opinions before Thursday.

My budgie is 3.5 years old female. She's been with me since she's 1 month old. She's energetic, allowed to fly pretty much all day. I feed her with regular seed. She also eat things like apple, carrot, egg, strawberry, banana and orange, sometimes I give her washed and dried lettuce or parsley, and she also loves branch millet. 2 days ago, I noticed that lump on her left chest. It's not visible around her feathers, especially when you look at her from her front. It's size is about pinky finger or a single pea. I'm not sure what caused it, it wasn't there a week ago. I noticed the lump and followed closely ever hour. She seems she doesn't mind it, she doesn't scratch it or touch there particularly. It's not very hard or very soft, it doesn't move, If I poke it slightly, she doesn't show any sign of pain. That part of her skin is kinda yellowish in light, It's not a external lump, not saggy, It's seems like it's inside of her skin. There are new feather needles around it (she is still energetic even she's in her new feather season and with having that lump). She has her balance, not dropping from perch, she can stay balanced with one leg up for hours. I weigh her oftenly, she lost few grams over 2 days. I talked to local bird breeders and showed the pictures of her, they told me it's not a rare thing, it's just fat lump, it happens when they get older, take it to the vet and they will cut there and drain it but I'm too scared because it's so close to her heart, lungs and liver. I believe they have to take blood sample to see if it's liver issue but I'm also too scared to let them take blood from her. Also I'm open to seed recommendations. I am going to change her diet from regular seed. I read pellets are the best for birds but I can't find pellet seed for parrots in my country, they only sell pellets for chickens, which is kinda big. Is it ok if I buy chicken pellet seed and make them smaller then give to my budgie?

All replies are welcomed. I want to say I know I have to go to the avian vet but there are no avian vets around me, If there was any avian vets in my city, I wouldn't wait for a second after I noticed that lump.

Thank you.

Pictures:
imgur.com/a/2OPwMvT

I can post more pictures if needed.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have access to a certified avian vet? If so, I would take her to be seen. It does look like a fatty tumor that I have seen on other animals, but I'm not a vet--so I can't advise you.

I have 3 budgies. The two that I have had the longest have had bloodwork many times. Is there a risk with anesthesia? Yes, there always is. If it is just a surficial, fatty lump, it is probably located between the skin and muscle above her keel. The vet wouldn't be cutting next to the heart.

If it were my bird, I would definitely take her to the vet at my earliest opportunity. Hang in there!

ankylosaur

Checking out the neighborhood
Update: I was supposed to go to the vet in 15th but something came up from vet's side and they rescheduled it 6 days later (21st). Vet was not an avian vet, but I can tell he was experienced with birds. He looked my budgie's chest with ultrasound and didn't find anything suspicious. He took some pictures of lump to ask his supierors, and to compare next week. He said, use antibiotics (Baytril) for a week and we'll see if it gets smaller next week. If we don't see any progress, we will take example from there with a needle and send it to the lab, but it will be risky.

The piece feels it gets softer but I'm not sure about if it gets smaller or not. Her energy is not down a bit, still eats food like she used to do. I'll go to the vet again tomorrow. I really don't want to get her needled but I also want her to heal and get rid of that lump fast. I'm scared if it effects her lungs or other organs later.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you were able to see a vet and hope that you have an answer for her soon! Please let us know if you have the lump sampled.