• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

weaning question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breanna

Moving in
Real Name
Breanna
So my blue and gold is about 5 months old. we've been giving him weaning pellets and leaving some in his cage. I went to check him around his usual mid-day feeding time and saw he ate all his pellets! So his crop is pretty full with pellets. im used to the soft feeling crop from the formula so i was kinda freaked out that his crop was hard from eating real pellets. is that okay that its hard like that? first bird ive weaned so thats why im a little thrown off by it. last night his crop has a little bit of pellets in it like that and was hard but it went away by the morning and i fed him formula this morning. but left him some pellets when i had to run errands. is that normal?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Weaning pellets are supposed to be soaked so they are soft.

Breanna

Moving in
Real Name
Breanna
I usually do soak them when i give them to him by hand. but ive heard always leave them with pellets or stuff to eat so thats why he ate so much of them

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Perhaps he is hungry, and it is time to add some other things. Are you familiar with abundance weaning?

Breanna

Moving in
Real Name
Breanna
Yes i was going to add things. But i was just freaked out about how different his crop feels with the pellets in there. Is that okay that its sorta hard and firm?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am going to stick with, the weaning pellets should not be given unless softened. They are too large to eat dry in my opinion. Opt for a smaller ordinary sized pellet for your baby, like TOPS, Harrison's, Pretty Bird natural Gold, etc..
Monitor his crop overnight, to make sure it is going down as it should. He probably just stuffed himself, it will feel firmer than a baby formula crop.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think pellets or weaning pellets can be given wet or dry. But if he has a dry crop I do wonder if he is drinking enough water to help digest and break down the dry pellets.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Also you need to offer a variety of fresh veggies, fruits, seed, sprouts, etc, so he learns to eat a variety and not be picky :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think thats okay. I've felt a harder crop on my adult birds before. Make sure he has access to water. At this age, offering them moist even if just slightly moist is probably best if he isn't drinking on his own. Assuming he's still getting some formula, you probably don't have to worry too much about him drinking but do make sure water is available.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.