• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We have fleas in the house and im scared my bird can die from them what do i do??

blXndglXss

Meeting neighbors
My cat vrought fleas we gave he a skin serum and cleaned the house but therew still some fleas apearing and im worriwd they might got my bird. What do i do ? Anynature repealents?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Like two to three times a day for about 10 days to 2 weeks. I once ended up in a house that was literally crawling with fleas. With regular vacuuming and treating the dogs we were able to get rid of them. Make sure that you get into the corners as much as possible. You could also put a pie pan with some water and a few drops of soap next to a night light. They will jump into the water and drown. Make sure you empty the vacuum cleaner out daily. You might also put a little DE in the vacuum to kill any fleas you vacuum up.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Like two to three times a day for about 10 days to 2 weeks. I once ended up in a house that was literally crawling with fleas. With regular vacuuming and treating the dogs we were able to get rid of them. Make sure that you get into the corners as much as possible. You could also put a pie pan with some water and a few drops of soap next to a night light. They will jump into the water and drown. Make sure you empty the vacuum cleaner out daily. You might also put a little DE in the vacuum to kill any fleas you vacuum up.
Exactly what I was going to say ! Lots of vacuum! Wash beds and blankets daily. Steam clean furniture.
Fleas should not really bother birds.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Fleas should not really bother birds.
This. You probably have cat fleas (the most common kind - the name is misleading as they infest both cats and dogs). In a pinch, they'll feed on humans, birds, or whatever is handy, but given a choice, they greatly prefer furry hosts.

You're going to see them for a while. The topical liquid on the cat should kill each individual flea within approx. 24 hours of emerging from its cocoon (before it can start laying eggs), but there will be a steady stream of them hatching out, and they can bite a ton of times during that short life, so you'll still see them, and kitty is going to be itchy.

If you have a dog or other cats, you'll need to treat them as well. Otherwise the fleas will just survive on the untreated pet. (Not saying that's the case with you, but wanted to mention it just in case. It's surprising how many people will treat the cat but not the dog, or vice-versa).

With regular treatment and cleaning, doing everything right, it takes approximately 4 months to completely eradicate a bad flea infestation. After a couple weeks, you'll see a noticeable reduction and start to breathe easy, only for another wave to appear just as you think you're out of the woods. This is sucky, but totally normal. It's just the next generation emerging from their cocoons. You'll see waves every 2-3 weeks, hopefully fewer each time.

Pesticides can kill the eggs, larva, and adults, but when they're in those cocoons, there's nothing on the market that can touch them. The only way to deal with the cocoons is wait for them to emerge as adults and then kill them. That's why it takes so long to get them all.

Just keep vacuuming, re-dose the cat regularly, and don't get discouraged. Fighting fleas is a marathon, not a sprint.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your cat has now been flea treated with a liquid treatment on the back of the neck then I personally would make sure it stayed indoors and was locked in the room with the most flea activity.... the medications I use (that are the small liquid vials on the back of the neck) will kill fleas as they bite your cat who is most likely going to be their preferred meal provider, fleas also do not live long (like a couple of weeks) without a food source/host so I honestly would treat the cat and keep it inside and the fleas should be gone asap.