• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We have eggs! (longish post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cape Cod Bird Man

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roger
Last summer we took in a M/F pair of Dusky Conures on a Rehome. What a great pair of birds. Their previous owner said they had not mated and keep them apart as best she could to prevent that in side-by-side cages. We were not afforded that much room, so for the last year they have lived together. Devoted to each other!!! OMG.
This spring Daisy laid a couple of eggs, but were were in the midst of moving to Vermont, and I took the eggs, since there wasn't a nest box set up. When we got the cages set up in our new bird room, I put a nest box in. At 1st they just played around it... in and out, etc. A couple of weeks ago they got down to some serious nesting with feathers, papers and wood chips they carved out of the box.
Needless to say we now have 2 eggs and they should be hatching -- give or take - July 21/22/23.
Now it's a chore to feed them because Kali, the male attacks anything that comes into the cage. I have to be quick. He is very devoted to her. He takes pieces of fruits and vegies to her at the entrance of the nest box. I see her come out for water and the pellet(80%)/seed(20%) mix but only briefly. They are also getting some higher calcium foods too. They are so cute.
I'll update as we go along... but I'll have to change my band-aid as Kali got my thumb this morning... I just wasn't fast enough!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...it will be a joy to watch them hatch etc...and keep the bandaids in full supply and keep us posted with pics of course:p

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Gratz Did you candle them?

Cape Cod Bird Man

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roger
If I could get my fingers into the nest box w/out loosing them I might. I'll think of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.