• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WB mousebird baby needs help IN South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I got this in the email. I forwarded it on to Sarel...but if anyone else is online and in SA and could look at the little mouser and help that would be great...

Name
Teresa Fryer
Email
teresafryer@mweb.co.za
Address
1 Thyme Close
Vredenberg
Bellville, Cape Town South Africa 7530
Phone Number
027 - 836 - 983223

Comment
I live in Cape Town, have mousebirds in my garden and a baby white-back fell into my swimming pool. The nest was too high to put it back (too windy to leave it near the pool) so I took it in, kept it warm and am hand feeding. It has all its feathers but cannot fly yet. I was hoping to eventually release the bird once it's strong enough but will it be accepted back with the wild mousebirds and will it survive? Already it calls when it sees me and just wants to cuddle in my hands. Any advice on what I should do that's best for the bird?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww poor little one. I hope he will be ok. I am sure you told her how best to care for him?:(

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thanks Susanne - I hope someone closer can help her out too

:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Sarel has been in contact with her, which is great because he is in the same country and close to where she is at.

It is breeding season now for mousers, so over the next several months there will probably be more lost little fledglings.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Yes, breeding season and windy season. Funny how our Summers carry a lot of wind. Here is another mouser who got blown out of it's comfort zone. This is IKE. Yip, if our feathered friends end up on our doorsteps or swimming pools, we ought to name them! T and I are working closely to ensure our birdies get all the support they need. She even took MOUSEY to work. Full marks for that kind of dedication. Well done T!!!:dance4:

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
AWWW..Hi little Ike:heart: Lucky for you...you are now in good hands. Thanks for the update Sarel.:)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. What a little cutie. So glad you guys are there to help them out.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Early this morning when I went over to little IKE he was still 'sleeping' but opened his eyes immediately once I gently stirred him. The red UV light made a huge difference! It is not a hot lamp. An energy saver type which reduce 75W of an ordinary lamp to 15W. Pike was keen to be around little Ike during feeding time. So I guess Pike's routine is somewhat more fun than before. It's amazing how Pike's energetic twittering rubs off on Ike. Ike gets very lively.

I thought to include two pics of Ike's 'breeder'. Just to show it does not have to be a very expensive contraption. A simple set up like this can make all the difference for Ike's survival at night or day. Keep in mind it's summer in South Africa.

I cover the top corner with a book for 'shade' and provide a soft feather duster to snuggle.

The result: Ike is nice and warm and vibrates when handled this morning. :dancing:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.