• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water Filters, Bottle water, Tap water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
I was wondering what all you give to your fids? I have read tap water unfiltered may not be so good? I just wanted to see what you all say and any advice on the subject. Also if anyone had any experience's they wanted to tell us about.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I give Kiwi tap water. I drink it too ALL day long from the moment I wake up. I have read that distilled water and water that comes through a water softener are both bad but other than that I haven't heard about any other water.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I use water out of the refrigerator door that is filtered, then I have a 2 gallon container with a filter that I pour that water into so that it gets filtered again. That is the water I use for them and what we drink ourselves.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I think a lot of it depends on where you live and how much chemicals the cities put into their water. My birds were brought up on tap water and still get tap water. but ours doesn't have any smell that I could discern. I like our tap water and drink it readily. :)

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
We have well water here. We run our water through a softener, but otherwise we all drink it here, its what the fids get. I keep bottled water in my E-kit just in case we have to leave in a hurry and can't get water in time..

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I give my parrot water filted through the brita system and I drink that as well.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My birds and I drink distilled water (with the minerals put back in). Our tap water is horrid.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I give Kiwi tap water. I drink it too ALL day long from the moment I wake up. I have read that distilled water and water that comes through a water softener are both bad but other than that I haven't heard about any other water.
How could pure clean water be bad. Especially when compared to "chemicalized" tap water. That's a myth.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Water here is brown 99% of the time so I boil water, let it cool and give it to them.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
We use a Brita water pitcher. :)

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
We let tap water sit on the counter for a couple of days. We all (people, bird, cat) drink it that way. It makes the counter a little crowded with a pitcher and a few bottles but our vet recommended it to let the chemicals evaporate.

Paris

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Paris and I live outside city water...don't drink the well water although it would be fine- its actually quite pure. I bring home distilled water from the still at work...

Sonny's Pa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Francisco Acevedo
I distill water using Megahome distiller and add T.J Clark Water Remineralization. I use this water for my GCC's drinking and bathing.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Austin/RR has good water. It tastes good to me!!

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Britta water for my birds after a frog I took home from work died in his water bowl with the tap. I wasn't sure that was the culprit but with how sensitive frogs are I wasn't taking any chances.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Distilled for all of us here.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
We installed a water softener a few years back and everyone gets the filtered water here, I do not trust our tap water, even with the softener.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I have an under the sink 6 stage RO/DI purification system that I use for the water for all of my animals and for us. I got it originally just for the fish tanks but now we use it as well. If you were to buy purified drinking water from Walmart, it'd be the exact same stuff. Well except that I do regular TDS(Total Dissolved Solids) tests on my water to make sure the filters are switched out when they are exhausted. I can't guarantee that with Walmart or your local grocery store. I trust that my water is 99.9% free of all chemicals and additives and just all around bad stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.