• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water bottle choice?

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Choice of water bottle for budgie? I have searched but with mixed results. What do you all recommend? Plastic? Large glass that might leak a little? Small glass? Any recommendations are welcome unless it’s against the forum rules.

note: my late budgie used one of those Snapple bottle kits that lixit made. I would use that but it is 10 years old and hard to disinfect. Thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't like using water bottles as I think they can grow bacteria too easily and sometimes it takes a birds a while to figure out how to use them. I just use a bowl for water.

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I don't like using water bottles as I think they can grow bacteria too easily and sometimes it takes a birds a while to figure out how to use them. I just use a bowl for water.
My last parakeet that passed recently after 10 years always used a water bottle after training him to use it. The problem I had with the dish is that no matter where I would place it in the cage he would put food in the water. Sometimes poop in it. I don’t know how but if I wasn’t home four times a day to change it, it got gross quick. Tiny parakeet. Big mess with the water dish. I’m not always home every day all day but most days I am home the majority of the time. I have tried two water dishes in the past. Double the mess. My goodness I miss him.

I do understand where you are coming from as water bottles need to be brushed out and cleaned and changed frequently especially a little tiny bottle brush for the tube so that there is no chance that they are not getting water. what I think I will do is put a water dish underneath the bottle for the future bird I am adopting. That way he or she will have a choice and I just have to keep after both. Thanks so much for your input.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
On top of this, some birds learn to hold the ball up, letting the water pour out. If this goes unnoticed, the bird can dehydrated without water.

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I will consider the water dishes only. No bottle. Thank you for your input.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
On top of this, some birds learn to hold the ball up, letting the water pour out. If this goes unnoticed, the bird can dehydrated without water.
Burt has a toggle lever thing rather than a ball in his carrier water bottle which he holds open to let the water run out :laugh:

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Burt has a toggle lever thing rather than a ball in his carrier water bottle which he holds open to let the water run out :laugh:
I have heard of these things. They have some sort of thing that the bird has to depress but it is not like the stainless steel balls in most things. When I find the right one to adopt and bring home I will ask and find out what he or she drinks out of and then we can figure it out.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I did not state it, but I am guessing that you figured out how I know that this is a possibility. I did learn though to put a water bowl directly under it so that he did not run out of water, but at that point, the bottle was utterly pointless.