• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Washington Park Zoo (Michigan City, IN)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We went today as a belated-birthday thing. We go every year! So I included some photos. Lots of animals were taking naps, but some were really active.

We saw two amazons (not sure what kind) being brought from either winter holdings or the vet, I'm not sure. They were in little dog crates, the kind most people use as carriers. One didn't want to come out so they had to tip the carrier. He was not happy about that carrier!

I got to pet the alpacas, they recognize us and come over to say hi. The male likes us, the female does not. He's a big sweetie, he let me pet his noggin! We also saw the new zebu baby that arrived during the offseason, we got to pet her and her mom.

We went through the whole zoo, with our last stop being the aviary. This is where the budgies, tiels, kookaburras, macaws, 'toos and ekkies reside. The larger birds (like the cockatoos) just got to come out today because it's finally warm enough.

One of the toos said "Hey toots" to me, as well as "Hi" and "how are you"! They were both yelling, whistling and showing off. I could hear them all the way across the zoo! I don't know how you cockatoo folks do it!

Alright, I'll stop yammering and get to the photos! I took a video in the aviary too, so I'll share that as well.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Wow! Great pics!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wow! Great pics!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!!
It was great! It was so nice out, not too hot, a good breeze coming off the lake.

There were quite a few birds who seemed to be eggy- I made sure to tell each one Congrats on the eggies! I got some weird looks from people but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ lol