• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warning to conure owners.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I just wanted to share this story that someone else told me. They said that they had a conure, I think a green cheek. Apparently this was their first conure. They were feeding pellets and instead of giving the bird a water bowl, they gave it a water bottle. The bird ended up getting sick and they couldn't figure out what was happening. What was happening was that the bird was trying to soak it's pellets and was stuffing them into the water bottle and clogged it up and wasn't getting water. The bird did not make it.:(

New conure owners, please be aware that a lot of conures like to soak their pellets. My Autumn makes a disgusting soup of pellets and anything else she can find in her water bowl. She soaks each pellet before eating it.

I just thought this story was so sad. This is not someone I know well and I didn't know the little bird, but when I said I had a conure she told me this story. I thought I would share it.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Oh, that's so sad. This is definitely important for conure owners to know! But it's definitely good to keep in the back of your mind no matter what kind of bird you have.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
so sad that is why I check my waterbottles daily

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
That is so sad, and exactly why water bottles should be checked several times a day:(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The water bottle and spout must not have been cleaned daily as it should have been. It is tempting for the owner to let a water bottle go without cleaning until it is empty, but that certainly is not good husbandry.
ML

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
that is so sad :(
i have to agree though and say I would assume that the water supply wasnt cleaned at least once a day :(

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok guys, as I said this is not a friend of mine, this is not someone I know well, it's someone I met one time who told me this story I thought I would share. For all I know their water bottle wasn't cleaned often and maybe that was the problem, but I think it's still worth sharing with others who have conures.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
That is so sad!!! My guys all drink out of bowls. They love making soup in their water bowls. I've never had much luck with water bottles.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
My BCC definitely would be lost with a water bottle. Everything she eats must be soaked first.....and I just pray I get to it before she bathes in the soup!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( How sad. Thanks for sharing.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Ok guys, as I said this is not a friend of mine, this is not someone I know well, it's someone I met one time who told me this story I thought I would share. For all I know their water bottle wasn't cleaned often and maybe that was the problem, but I think it's still worth sharing with others who have conures.
It's good your shared this with us. Just to remind people that even though you use bottles they do need to be cleaned daily.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
Our GCC, and 1 of our BCC live to make soup in their water. So much to the point that Leroy our youngest GCC who loves birdie soup will not drink water unless it has pellets and other surprises mixed in. I change the water frequently because I am worried about bacteria. Leroy ended up dehydrated because he wouldn't drink the fresh water. So now he has two water dishes. One for clean water and one for birdie soup. Our lovies also make birdie soup in their water dish!

ba-b4

Meeting neighbors
So sad.. but I'd bet if that owner fed the bird some fresh fruit and veggies everyday it wouldn't have died of thirst. Pellets are nice and all but I don't agree with those who say that should be the only source of food for a bird. :mad:

laurencann

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks for posting this. Our new GCC makes her bowl so dirty so quickly, I thought it was because she likes frequent bathes. So I just picked up a water bottle yesterday, thinking it would keep the water cleaner for her to drink. This explains the amount of debris in the water bowl. I will just plan on keeping a bowl and a bottle and keep an eye on things. :headsmack:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I just wanted to share this story that someone else told me. They said that they had a conure, I think a green cheek. Apparently this was their first conure. They were feeding pellets and instead of giving the bird a water bowl, they gave it a water bottle. The bird ended up getting sick and they couldn't figure out what was happening. What was happening was that the bird was trying to soak it's pellets and was stuffing them into the water bottle and clogged it up and wasn't getting water. The bird did not make it.:(

New conure owners, please be aware that a lot of conures like to soak their pellets. My Autumn makes a disgusting soup of pellets and anything else she can find in her water bowl. She soaks each pellet before eating it.

I just thought this story was so sad. This is not someone I know well and I didn't know the little bird, but when I said I had a conure she told me this story. I thought I would share it.

Not just conures but other birds do this. My ekkie and tooz are good about this. The severe macaw would stick her nail in and drain the water and loved watching it.

If they make soup they will find a way. Instead of water bottles I continue to use bowls...I just add in extra bowls for water as I also have the bathers...yep the queen of bavaria bathe in their dishes as do the other conures and aracari.

Two water dishes do make a difference.

Peggy

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Wow how sad :( Riley and Cloud ALWAYS dunk in their water. Thats why i dont trust water bottles. I just change the water many times a day. Poor thing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.