• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

wanting a fish tank- what do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Cpd=celestial pearl danio :)
I still say that Aq advisor can give you some good ideas if you ask it to only list fish that are a good size for your tank. That's how I figured out what to put in my tank. And you can look up the fish it suggests before you get to the store on care sites and in videos to see if you like the way they act before you go to the stores.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
oh, ok, thanks. I'll try that AQ adviser when I get a chance. I'm still busy researching different types of fish, etc :)

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
*nods* That's why I suggested it :) You can get a good list of fish that will do well in your size tank and then narrow it down to ones you like from there.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I have a 20 gallon with a few female bettas and cory cats, I looooove! Male and female bettas are absolutely my favorite fish!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
I went to Petco and looked around at different types of fish. I saw several different types of tetras that I liked as well as guppies. I saw those Aqua Clear filters you guys were talking about. I also saw thermometers (digital and regular), but which one is best? Do I need a heating system in addition to the AquaClear filter or does the AquaClear filter come with a heating system? I saw pumps and stuff too, what about those? My head is spinning from all the stuff that I saw, lol! I saw PH level test kits and that sorta thing. Going to continue researching fish and we have several fish care books here at home so I'm going to be reading those as well.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
You think your head is spinning, try researching a reef tank :shocked4: I had mine for 3 years and I still don't know half of what I should have!

The digital ones are always best, but you can use a floating one too. The stick on ones aren't good since they also read the air temperature and you don't get that accurate of a reading. The heater depends, really. Some fish(like neon tetras or celestial pearl danios) come from areas where the water is cooler and get stressed out in warmer water, definitely wouldn't need a heater for them. Others, like bettas and I think guppies come from warmer waters and get sluggish and sickly without them. www.fishbase.org will tell you the temperature that the fish you are looking at would encounter in their native habitats and you can go from there. If you have a cooler water fish and your tank always stays at a constant temperature, you don't absolutely have to have one other than for peace of mind. If you have warmer water fish or your tank's temperature tends to swing a couple of degrees from the lights or air conditioning you definitely do. I don't think any of the big market filters have heaters in them. I think I've read about some high dollar ones for reef tanks and the like, but that was ages ago.

As for pumps, I'd assume you mean the air pumps that make bubbles in the tank? I've had them but they don't really do a whole lot in for a normal run-of-the-mill tank. If you aren't running a filter(like for a smaller betta tank) you can use them for water movement, or if you've got goldfish who need better oxygenated water they're great, and some of the little knick-knack type of ornaments run off of them. And the bubbles look nifty sometimes, but unless you want one there's no real reason you need them.

ALSO! I can't believe no one(including myself. Bad self.) has mentioned this! Stay away from a fish unless you know it is NOT dyed. Petco and Petsmart don't sell ANY dyed fish, but a lot of local stores and wal-mart(if you have one that still has fish) and some smaller chains do. Basically they take a fish that is supposed to be(most of the time) white, strip its slime coat off with acid and drop it into dye to make its colour different. It's entirely cruel and kills the fish essentially. Most of the ones they do it to end up pink or blue and get called random things like "gumdrop" or "jelly bean" or "painted" instead of the regular species name. Not a whole lot have it done anymore, but something to be cautious of for sure.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
That's just awful about what they do to the fish!:( Yes, that's what I meant by pump, sorry for not clarifying that, not thinking totally clearly tonight- lol! Alright, probably going to stick with tetras, that's what I've almost decided on. :) So, What do I need for those? heat/no heat? I know I need the filter, the tank, gravel, fake plants, food, what about a PH reader? I saw those too. What's the best type of gravel/substrate to get? What kind of lighting do tetras need? (I'm thinking about goldfish too, I saw at Petco how they have "goldfish only for outdoor ponds and goldfish for tanks, so would that be ok if I got those?)

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Tetras need a filtration, and a heater. You don't need a pump if you're using a filter like the Aquaclear, because the filter naturally aerates the surface creating plenty of oxygen bubbles. Also, I have sand in my tanks, I prefer it over gravel- it looks better, easier to vacuum the wastes and plants root better in it.

PS, if you want an easy easy plant, try a java fern. You really don't need anything extra as it survives well under fairly low-medium light. Natural plants really help absorb the toxins (can't remember if it were the nitrites or the nitrates or both) and provide extra oxygen.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What kind of lighting do tetras need? (I'm thinking about goldfish too, I saw at Petco how they have "goldfish only for outdoor ponds and goldfish for tanks, so would that be ok if I got those?)
Fish do not need any particular type of lighting, plants do. A regular florescent light that comes in the hood is fine for fish. T-5's make them look prettier, and will grow plants.Power compacts will also grow plants, but get much hotter and use more electricity. They do not look as nice.
If you want goldfish, you will need a minimum of a 29 gallon tank, to which only 2 goldfish should be kept. In there you could keep fancy GF like I have. Comets and common goldfish get too big for smaller tanks. If you get goldfish you will need an over sized filter, and pump with an airstone. They need 10X turnover per hour. So on a 29 gallon tank you would want a filter that is at least 300 GPH.{gallon per hour} If you get a canister filter you can have slightly less....say 260 GPH.
For most any fish you will need a heater for at least the winter. If you keep tetras, the water should be maintained at about 76F-78F . The reason for a heater also, is you do not want any aquarium to fluctuate more than 1-2 degrees. Tetras are tropical fish, therefore they need warm temps. Get a digital thermometer. I use the little Coralife ones.
Goldfish will need to be treated for flukes and intestinal parasites.
Start reading on this site-
Kokos Goldfish Forum

Have you joined any of the forums posted, and started reading the threads and articles? I am back on my own pc now, so I can look and see what else I have. Google can teach you a lot as well.;)

Last edited:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Tetras need a filtration, and a heater. You don't need a pump if you're using a filter like the Aquaclear, because the filter naturally aerates the surface creating plenty of oxygen bubbles. Also, I have sand in my tanks, I prefer it over gravel- it looks better, easier to vacuum the wastes and plants root better in it.

PS, if you want an easy easy plant, try a java fern. You really don't need anything extra as it survives well under fairly low-medium light. Natural plants really help absorb the toxins (can't remember if it were the nitrites or the nitrates or both) and provide extra oxygen.
Alright, thank you! :) Now, I just have to decide between these 3 species of fish, Goldfish, Tetras and Mollies. Which one and can you guys tell me the pros/cons of each if you don't mind? :)

Fish do not need any particular type of lighting, plants do. A regular florescent light that comes in the hood is fine for fish. T-5's make them look prettier, and will grow plants.Power compacts will also grow plants, but get much hotter and use more electricity. They do not look as nice.
If you want goldfish, you will need a minimum of a 29 gallon tank, to which only 2 goldfish should be kept. In there you could keep fancy GF like I have. Comets and common goldfish get too big for smaller tanks. If you get goldfish you will need an over sized filter, and pump with an airstone. They need 10X turnover per hour. So on a 29 gallon tank you would want a filter that is at least 300 GPH.{gallon per hour} If you get a canister filter you can have slightly less....say 260 GPH.
For most any fish you will need a heater for at least the winter. If you keep tetras, the water should be maintained at about 76F-78F . The reason for a heater also, is you do not want any aquarium to fluctuate more than 1-2 degrees. Tetras are tropical fish, therefore they need warm temps. Get a digital thermometer. I use the little Coralife ones.
Goldfish will need to be treated for flukes and intestinal parasites.
Start reading on this site-
Kokos Goldfish Forum

Have you joined any of the forums posted, and started reading the threads and articles? I am back on my own pc now, so I can look and see what else I have. Google can teach you a lot as well.;)
No, I haven't joined any forums yet, I'm still researching like crazy, hehe. I'm planning to join one of those forums in the next few days and start reading there too. I don't want to overload my brain too much-:hehe:. Thanks for the advice Carole. So, Goldfish need a bigger tank, filter, pump, sounds like they need a lot of equipment to me, but do they?

Tetras need a heater and a filter and any other main things these fish need? Do these do well in a 10g tank?

What about Mollies? I love the way those look too, especially their tails, they are so pretty. What kind of stuff do they need? Sorry for the 100 questions, just trying to learn as much as I possibly can.

:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It will be very helpful to you to join the fish forums now because that is where you'll be able to read and get the majority of the info you need. I found that to be very helpful in my case because I knew absolutely nothing. I was able to read up on all the basics, etc and then come here and ask Carole about the things I didn't understand. I joined three fish forums but now frequent one over the others that I like the best for my needs. The fish forums will explain the differences in the things you need for the different types of fish so you'll be able to understand what would be best for your desires and pocket book. It can get pretty expensive. And just like birds you really have to research a lot and joining the forums is a great way to research. :)

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Thanks Marie. I'll be looking at the several forums suggested and picking one or 2 of them.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Joined this forum- Freshwater & Saltwater Aquarium Forum
Have the same username as here, hehe! Just because it's easier to remember, lol! So far, it doesn't seem very active :( What is another forum that's very active like AA?

Last edited:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
I was wrong, I don't have a fishtank yet either. My siblings each have 1 but I don't yet, so what size would be best? 10g? 15? I don't have a whole lot of space in my bedroom unless I buy a stand for the tank too.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
fishlore is a very active forum, I used to post quite frequently. The members are really nice and helpful. :)

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
You should get a 15g. Its the same footprint as a 10g, only taller, so it won't take up anymore space and the larger the tank the more stable anyway. You could get a wire stand that has two shelves and have the 15g on top and then a 5g or something on the bottom shelf, so you'll be able to have two tanks that way.

Good luck! Its very addictive, I have several tanks and a pond and I'm always planning more lol.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I was wrong, I don't have a fishtank yet either. My siblings each have 1 but I don't yet, so what size would be best? 10g? 15? I don't have a whole lot of space in my bedroom unless I buy a stand for the tank too.
How about the little 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank I told you about? It is small, but long, you can keep it on a desk, or bookshelf, or a table. It comes with a nice light/top, and a filter. All you would need for it is a 50 watt Stealth heater, water, dechlorinator{I use Prime} , decor, and fish. You can get everything at Petco. It is a Petco tank. It is the tank you see here-
http://forums.avianavenue.com/other-than-feathers-speedway/43335-karmas-new-tank.html
The only difference in mine is I changed out the filter for an Aquaclear 20, but you could use the one that comes with it just fine. You could keep a few small fish, or a betta very nicely.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
thanks! :) That is a very nice tank Carole! :) Next time we go to Petco, I'll look at that tank. I believe that I saw that one yesterday actually, but it was a little out of my price range. I just went down to our garage with my sister and we have three 10 gallon tanks and they are in perfect condition. Just need to be cleaned well. I'm planning to do that today. I thought we didn't have any more tanks but I remember when my sister and I had gerbils and the tanks are from them. So, I'll clean that out really well and use that. Also, my mom was telling me that tetras and mollies go well together (cause she used to have fish too). So, I think I've decided on those in a 10g tank. I saw different numbers of Aquaclear filters, I saw a 32, a 20 and some other number, now, what's the difference between all those?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Getting the urates out of a tank used for reptiles or rodents{gerbils..same thing} is not easy. A good soak with bleach, or white vinegar may help, but sometimes it permeates the silicone. You can give this a shot, but if you find the tank is a death trap, this is the reason. Just forewarning you.
The tank I just showed you is fairly inexpensive.
PETCO Bookshelf Freshwater Fish Aquarium at PETCO
There are other kits available too, for 10 gal, 20 gal, 29 gal, etc...

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Getting the urates out of a tank used for reptiles or rodents{gerbils..same thing} is not easy. A good soak with bleach, or white vinegar may help, but sometimes it permeates the silicone. You can give this a shot, but if you find the tank is a death trap, this is the reason. Just forewarning you.
The tank I just showed you is fairly inexpensive.
PETCO Bookshelf Freshwater Fish Aquarium at PETCO
There are other kits available too, for 10 gal, 20 gal, 29 gal, etc...
Alright, thanks for letting me know Carole! :) Yes, the link that you gave me is a little out of my price range, I wish I had $40 but with me not having a job and saving the money that I do get from random jobs, that's kinda hard. I just got finished cleaning the tank really really well with a scrub brush and dawn dishwashing soap and I plan to bleach it and use vinegar on it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.