• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to start training my indian ringneck

Alaabadawi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Alaa Nabil
Hey All

Let's start by saying that I love this website and all the help I got during the baby period

My parrot is currently 60 days old and I am letting him fly everywhere I don't want to clip his feathers.

And he currently started flying all around the house but this is not making it easy to train him he never sticks around, he let's us pet him and carry him so we are sure he isn't afraid but in the same time I can never get him to focus with me to start training him

Also for the love of God I can't find any good treats to train him with.

He Basically is never excited about any foods unless I haven't fed him for a long time like 12 hours or so then he starts coming to us to feed him

I need some tips and tricks to get him to stick around and not fly away for me to train him

And any good training methods to teach him to fly to us

Say Hi to Uzi

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
While not good in excess, small pieces of sunflower seeds or almonds are loved by most parrots, and are commonly used as training treats.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I need some tips and tricks to get him to stick around and not fly away for me to train him
I sometimes have found with the youngsters, that if I am trying to do a bit of recall or something like that, and they are flying off and exploring something else, or playing with toys etc I would just let them carry on, and then try the recall later on and usually have much better luck.

Try to keep any training you do in short but sweet sessions, maybe start with just 5 minute sessions, you can build up to sort of 15 minute sessions over time.

What sort of training are you trying to do? Step up? recall? Clicker? target? tricks?

Alaabadawi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Alaa Nabil
Step up and recall Zara
I sometimes have found with the youngsters, that if I am trying to do a bit of recall or something like that, and they are flying off and exploring something else, or playing with toys etc I would just let them carry on, and then try the recall later on and usually have much better luck.

Try to keep any training you do in short but sweet sessions, maybe start with just 5 minute sessions, you can build up to sort of 15 minute sessions over time.

What sort of training are you trying to do? Step up? recall? Clicker? target? tricks?
Hey Zara

As a beginner I am sticking to recall and step up for now and teaching his name

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Babies sometimes have the attention span of a goldfish.
Three steps forward, two back and all that. Patience. And sunflower seeds. And more patience. You’ll get there. Don’t lose hope.

Ira B

Meeting neighbors
My ringneck's favorite "treat" is Pine Nuts. He will follow me anywhere when he sees them.