• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

want to bring a friend to my CAG

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
HI,
I'm Itzik from Israel, and I'm new here.
first I want to say I love this forum and it is a very good place to learn and share information and experience so thank you all for sharing and helping others.

I have a sweet CAG, Paco, 2 and a half y\o, which I love and care about very much, lately, I have some appointments at my work and can't take him with me as usual.
I need to leave him for approx. 8 hours some of the days of the week, I give him some puzzle toys to play with while I'm away, and from the cameras, I can see he is quite OK.
sometimes I see him just standing inside his cage which is open and he is free to explore the safe parts of the house that I arrange for him, he is fully flighted and he loves to fly and play.
it is kind of bothers me to see him just standing there doing nothing for a few hours, I was wondering if bringing him a new friend would be a good idea.

when I come back home I spend a lot of time with him, training, playing, and eating together.
he flies very well, he's familiar with recall training, he knows to whistle for me when I call him if I don't see him, we have very good progression with the harness (he willingly puts his head throw the head loop) and he can answer his name if asked for.
I thought about bringing another CAG or B&G baby macaw hoping they will be friends and I won't feel that way when I have to leave him.
I'm aware of the introduction process and that they both should have a cage of their own and the training I should give them both.
Does any one have an experience of raising both CAG and B&G? any suggestions?

thank you for your time reading.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue Itzik :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
@Itz89 ,
I would strongly caution against keeping a CAG and B&G together.
There is a chance that powder down from the CAG would kill the macaw
Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome - Revisited
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Disease - Macaws and Conures

This member's posts are about losing a beloved macaw to the same situation:
Search results for query: pulmonary hypersensitivity

In addition,
If you have bird-safed the room and are comfortble leaving Paco out while away, that is one thing.
But adding another bird to that mix could be dangerous as you don't know how well they would get along unsupervised.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome! How long have you had Paco?

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a second parrot as a potential friend for your bird as long as you have the resources and time to care for a second bird as well. I agree that a macaw is a bad choice due to their lung sensitivity.

Just know that they could never get along, so you'd have to watch them carefully and make sure they don't harm each other. That could also mean you have to alternate your attention between them, meaning Paco might lose out on more time with you.

But as someone who has introduced different birds to each other at different times, I think if you're going to add a second bird, it helps to add it when your first bird is younger and when you've had it for less time. Once that first bird gets older and as you have more years building a very specific routine and relationship around that bird alone, it can be hard for that first bird to accept anyone new that disrupts that consistency.

Good luck!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Another bird of approximately the same size or smaller would give your CAG someone to watch or talk to when you are not there, but you do have to understand most birds are more interested in time with you rather than time with another bird. My heartbird, Sunny, was always jealous of any bird I added to the flock. She wanted ME, and only me!

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
The usual advice is "only get another parrot because you want one, not just because you think the bird you already have might be lonely or bored." Something to consider is that you would need to give both parrots an equal amount of attention and care. Two parrots may turn out to be even more than twice as much work to look after properly. If you really want a second parrot, you first have to determine if you have the time and energy to devote to them, and if you're willing to cut the time you spend with Paco in half. I don't think a large macaw would be the best choice in any event and a type of parrot similar in size to a CAG or a little smaller would be a better choice. A type that originated from the same part of the world would likely be a better fit too.

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
@Itz89 ,
I would strongly caution against keeping a CAG and B&G together.
There is a chance that powder down from the CAG would kill the macaw
Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome - Revisited
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Disease - Macaws and Conures

This member's posts are about losing a beloved macaw to the same situation:
Search results for query: pulmonary hypersensitivity

In addition,
If you have bird-safed the room and are comfortble leaving Paco out while away, that is one thing.
But adding another bird to that mix could be dangerous as you don't know how well they would get along unsupervised.
Thank you for the info, I will look into pulmonary hypersensitivity, and read the link you sent.
They would not be out unsupervised, I'm aware of that.

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
Welcome! How long have you had Paco?

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a second parrot as a potential friend for your bird as long as you have the resources and time to care for a second bird as well. I agree that a macaw is a bad choice due to their lung sensitivity.

Just know that they could never get along, so you'd have to watch them carefully and make sure they don't harm each other. That could also mean you have to alternate your attention between them, meaning Paco might lose out on more time with you.

But as someone who has introduced different birds to each other at different times, I think if you're going to add a second bird, it helps to add it when your first bird is younger and when you've had it for less time. Once that first bird gets older and as you have more years building a very specific routine and relationship around that bird alone, it can be hard for that first bird to accept anyone new that disrupts that consistency.

Good luck!
Thanks, I have had paco for almost 3 years now, I got him when he was 2 and a half months.
I know him very well and able to read his bodylanguage very good.
I have the resources, time and lots of paitience and I always try to read as much to understand.
Thanks for sharing your experiance.
I will think about it.

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
Another bird of approximately the same size or smaller would give your CAG someone to watch or talk to when you are not there, but you do have to understand most birds are more interested in time with you rather than time with another bird. My heartbird, Sunny, was always jealous of any bird I added to the flock. She wanted ME, and only me!
Thank you for sharing.

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
The usual advice is "only get another parrot because you want one, not just because you think the bird you already have might be lonely or bored." Something to consider is that you would need to give both parrots an equal amount of attention and care. Two parrots may turn out to be even more than twice as much work to look after properly. If you really want a second parrot, you first have to determine if you have the time and energy to devote to them, and if you're willing to cut the time you spend with Paco in half. I don't think a large macaw would be the best choice in any event and a type of parrot similar in size to a CAG or a little smaller would be a better choice. A type that originated from the same part of the world would likely be a better fit too.
Thanks for the info, I love birds, I would enjoy the company of another one, but the main reason is Paco.

what type of bird would you suggest?

My end goal is to try and train them both as much as I can, to let them try and be good friends and teach them about the harness so we can go outside together.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I feel like birds do best with their own species. I think though that whenever a person gets a second bird they have to go into the situation with the idea that they may be company to each other but not "friends". And they may never want to share a cage. I have 2 senior cockatiels. They like to be in the same area where they can see each other. But beyond that, they really don't want any direct interaction with each other. And I'm fine with that. But you just never know if 2 birds are really going to be buddies or not.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Another grey would be best. Different species together can be risky, especially a mac due to feather dust. I recommend air filtration machine for your lung health also.

Last edited:

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
thank you all for your opinions and experiences.
you've been a great help.

Itz89

Moving in
Real Name
Itzik
Another grey would be best. Different species together can be risky, especially a mac due to feather dust. I recommend air filtration machine for your lung health also.

thanks for the advice, I have had Paco for almost 3 years now and don't really feel irritated, I vacuum every day or so. it works for me, but if I will feel any issues, I will think of an air filtration machine - any brand you know? just in case I will need one?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I had an African gray and despite my many attempts to give him a "friend". He really preferred to be an only child. He was content as an only bird but like you I gave him lots of attention. It is not uncommon for birds to have some quiet nap time during the day when you are gone. In the wild they would go to sleep when the sun goes down and you probably spend a lot of time with him after the sun goes down so he likely makes up for that sleep while you are gone. If he is otherwise entertained, happy, actively engaged in the world then I would not worry about a few hours a day where he is less active. It sounds like he has plenty of things to do if he wanted and so it is not a boredom thing. He may enjoy the quiet time in thoughtful contemplation. If you still want another bird, you might consider working through a rescue and foster a bird. This will allow you to determine if your bird is truly happy and if you have found the right friend for your pal.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you wait until you feel irritated by feather dust then the lung damage may already be present. Lung issues do not repair themselves. I waited too long and developed a chronic chough and nodules in lungs. I recommend RabitAir filtration systems, a bit expensive but worth every penny. They have several filters, and one specifically for feather dust from birds. Comes in a single pack and needs a yearly replacement. Good luck

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I agree with @Lady Jane that by the time you feel respiratory issues, it is most often too late and then you risk having to rehome your bird as any further irritation can become intractable. If you’re in the US, another high end but very effective while house air filter is Oransi. I also use room sized ones made by Winix.