• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Waiting for Emily

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope she is ok! :hug8:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
When will you find out if she has to have surgery?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When will you find out if she has to have surgery?
The vet will call the CAV sometime, I didn't ask when. We're due back next thursday so before that i'd hope :)
Or maybe at the appt.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:hug8:

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
thanks! yes it is, Dr. Rhoda Stevenson. Have you been there? :)
Yes! Dr. Stevenson is Sammy's (and the others) vet. Sammy also sees the other vets there. Dr. Knight, and Dr. Massey. They are all wonderful doctors.

Dr. Stevenson is really great. If anyone can do it, she can. I have complete faith in her, in fact, I wish she was my doctor ;). She loves birds and they love her. Sam has had a few procedures done by her, nothing major or extreme, but everything always went well. I know that she has done some really advanced surgeries before. If Emily goes there, she will be in great hands. The staff is great as well. Everyone loves birds and is very friendly. Sam actually almost didn't want to leave last week, he wanted to hang out on his techs arm.:D

I also know a few other things that are important (at least IMO). If you need something, anything, you can reach them ANYTIME. I have spoken to Dr. Stevenson many of times very late at night. One time she even returned my call at 10 pm, to let me know that Sammy was doing alright (he was in the hospital for more than a week, nearly died, but was brought back by Dr. Stevenson :). They also let me stay late and visit with my birds when they were in the hospital.

I drive an hour to see them, but I would NEVER go elsewhere.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes! Dr. Stevenson is Sammy's (and the others) vet. Sammy also sees the other vets there. Dr. Knight, and Dr. Massey. They are all wonderful doctors.

Dr. Stevenson is really great. If anyone can do it, she can. I have complete faith in her, in fact, I wish she was my doctor ;). She loves birds and they love her. Sam has had a few procedures done by her, nothing major or extreme, but everything always went well. I know that she has done some really advanced surgeries before. If Emily goes there, she will be in great hands. The staff is great as well. Everyone loves birds and is very friendly. Sam actually almost didn't want to leave last week, he wanted to hang out on his techs arm.:D

I also know a few other things that are important (at least IMO). If you need something, anything, you can reach them ANYTIME. I have spoken to Dr. Stevenson many of times very late at night. One time she even returned my call at 10 pm, to let me know that Sammy was doing alright (he was in the hospital for more than a week, nearly died, but was brought back by Dr. Stevenson :). They also let me stay late and visit with my birds when they were in the hospital.

I drive an hour to see them, but I would NEVER go elsewhere.

Wow! That's wonderful to know! I feel very much more reassured now, thanks Nik :)
The tech who worked there and is here now is named Miranda. She was the one who recommended Dr. Stevenson to my vet. My vet here is great too, but not an avian vet and feels Emily would do better with a more experienced doc for surgery. I'm feeling really optimistic now about her chances with your glowing recommendation of Dr. Stevenson :)

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm not an expert but it's my understanding that the anesthetic is a big part of the surgery risk for anyone, humans included. Since Emily is already doing fine with anesthetic every week she should be fine! :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'm not an expert but it's my understanding that the anesthetic is a big part of the surgery risk for anyone, humans included. Since Emily is already doing fine with anesthetic every week she should be fine! :)
exactly!, my vet says she's more worried about the prolonged time under gas than the procedure itself. For the draining she says she goes in quick and out quick, so Emily is gassed lightly. Surgery will be longer though but an experienced vet will have all the details down to a science, or an art, i hope. :)

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I hope that everything will go well with the surgery. I have had Sammy anesthetized a several times there. Once it was a few times in a row when he was mysteriously bleeding. Little Fred even was once. I have even heard of her amputating wings and such.

I know she is knowledgeable. I hope she can help Emily.

I'll be thinking about Emily. :hug4:

Edit: I just thought of this. A woman one day was there from South Carolina. I asked if she was visiting. She said no, that she was there because would only bring her bird to Dr. Stevenson.

I was astounded. :wideyed:

Last edited:

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Best thoughts and wishes to beautiful Emily. :hug8: I think surgery would be a good option for her at this point.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Wow, prayers are with Em, glad you have a great AV! :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia