• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wait… charcoal?!

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Uhm I’ve recently learned some people use charcoal? With their birds? Can someone explain this to me????

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's a really old remedy. When I was young I apparently swallowed a bottle of liquid eye drops, and they gave me charcoal in the hospital to help absorb it...until I threw up. I wouldn't do it without the help of a vet or someone who was well experienced with it's use though!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a really old remedy. When I was young I apparently swallowed a bottle of liquid eye drops, and they gave me charcoal in the hospital to help absorb it...until I threw up. I wouldn't do it without the help of a vet or someone who was well experienced with it's use though!
We do this at work for dogs that have ingested certain things. And let me tell ya it gets super messy lol

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's definitely not something to use of the bird is on any medications.

There was recently a craze for adding charcoal to human foods - think black ice cream and black burger buns and so on - and an unforeseen consequence of that is that the charcoal interfered with people's ability to absorb medications. Bad enough for things like antibiotics, painkillers or antidepressants, but disastrous for birth control.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Geeze. So glad I asked about this. Yeah, my mom said her family absolutely wouldn’t recommend using it without more knowledge. It’s also something that the more experienced breeders I’m related to advised against. I like to get some strong advice from you guys as well, so thank you. I would never think to add charcoal to my own diet much less my birds.