• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Vomiting cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkrose115

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
She swallowed a bunch of large pellets whole. Later, she threw them back up, partially digested. There were pieces of seed in there as well. She seems irritated, but still active. It was vomiting not regurgitation because what came out was nasty and digested, and she shook her head violently so it shot everywhere.

Can I take her to the vet in another few hours (when I have a ride), or should I get her to the ER vet right away?

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Has she eaten or drank since she last vomitted? If so, is she keeping it down? When was the last time she ate before vomitting this amount? I would check her reactions every few minutes to see if there is any more vomitting or difficulty breathing, before deciding how soon to have her to the vet.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You may want to also call your vet and see what they suggest. :hug8:

Inkrose115

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
She's been drinking water and eating the small pellets. Won't touch the big ones anymore. Going to call the vet, and see what she says.

Inkrose115

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
She just threw up again and left a nasty, watery poo. I'm not going to call; just going to get a ride to the ER vet from someone or a taxi or whatever.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Glad she's eating and drinking. I'd keep checking her to see if she keeps it down. It could be that she just choked on the larger pellets, but it's always safer to check with the vet, as Marie suggested. Please keep us posted;)

Just read your additional post. Yes, better not to wait. Keep us posted when you return. Hoping it's nothing serious :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ok, I also think with this new development it's a good idea to take her in.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I would also take her in if she doesn't seem right...keep us posted. Hope she will be ok.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, get her into the vet asap...let us know please.. :hug8:

Inkrose115

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
The vet ran tests and Bella seems fine. No parasites, bacteria, etc. The vet thinks it might have been the food. She recommended giving her Pedialyte and if she won't eat, handfeeding formula. But she seems nice and healthy now. The vet gave her a Baytril shot and another shot to help her digestion.

I just paid enough in ER vet bills to buy two Bellas. LOL But it was worth it for my piece of mind. Although I feel bad; Bella was prodded, poked, and given shots. Towards the end, Bella would hiss at every move the vet made. :sad11: By the time we left, Bella was trying to climb on top of her travel cage and wanted out of there ASAP.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Poor Bella. So relieved it's nothing serious. :hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Glad to hear Bella is ok. Poor baby.:heart:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Yes, very glad she's feeling better. I would still keep my eyes on her more frequently than usual for the next 48 hours. Good response on your part getting her to the vet so fast. You never know when these situation can quickly turn into big emergencies :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.