• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vitamin D3 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Do you supplement your birds with this if they do not get direct sunshine? Is there sufficient Vit D3 in the foods they eat? Pellets, veggies,fruits,etc.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet doesn't recommend supplementation.

Pellets contain vitamin D3, which is added in appropriate amounts. Fruits and veggies contain no vitamin D3; it must come from animal sources. Mushrooms contain vitamin D2 but birds don't get mushrooms anyway. Egg yolks are another good source of D3. Otherwise, real sunshine is the best. Vitamin D3 is stored in the tissues so birds don't necessarily need sun exposure daily to maintain adequate levels.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Since we live on the west coast where fresh sockeye salmon is readily available, I feed it to Coco at least once per week. She loves salmon!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very good replies, thank you. I came across it somewhere and I wondered. Getting REAL sunshine to my birds is the highest priority on my wish list. Not keeping them outside, but having a way to allow them outside with supervision. I want this so bad. I even replied to someone on CL the other day who was selling 3 HUGE aviary flights from a zoo. I knew I probably could not have them, but ya never know the guy might have said just come and get them. He wanted $3600.00 each. I told him I will contact him again when I make my first million.:p
I thought there must be some in the foods, but was not sure where it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.