• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

vet visit

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
In concern about Sprite's nasty and sometimes spicy/tangy odiferous poops, and also his feather condition, I took him to the avian vet a month ago. After the visit, things I had to do: 24 hour poop sample and also a dialy day water consumption measurement for 3 days. That meant: separating the bonded boys.

Ah, if you've ever had two very tightly bonded linnies and separated them, even with cages a mere 6" apart, you wil realize how futile these samples were. They both went inSANE. Sprite spent his waking hours climbing all over and ate only the minimum, which meant his poops were way off the norm. I took the poop sample during the third day hoping he'd calm a little by then, but the vet still confirmed with me that it was actually 24 hours. Yep, lol. I gave up my computer and desk for 3 days for that!

The consensus was inconclusive other than he appeared to be chewing (not plucking) his feathers and drinking more water than the average linnie. I can live with the water issue, but the chewing? Obviously something has been happening to his feathers, but I've never seen him chewing on himself. I found a pic from a couple weeks after I got him over a year ago, and it showed it was happening a bit even way back then.

Anyway, even though his initial fecal test was good, the vet recommended 7 days, 2x a day, of Baytril (antibiotic). I almost felt like it was one of those shot-in-the-dark type recommendations, and I'm not big on random antibiotics. However, I administered. Let me tell you, I am a terrible bird nurse! The syringe was tiny of course, and Sprite really wasn't that bad about it, but getting his beak open far enough was tricky, and then trying to slowly pump rather than one big pump was difficult. One time the stuff went straight over his head! LOL. But we managed and came out on top :)

Immediately after finishing the antibiotic, he started dropping smaller body feathers, many of them ratty. In all honesty I couldn't remember the last time he lost any feathers at all aside from flight feathers, so this was good. His poops no longer smell at all, although they're still too watery due to his water consumption rate. So I have to say something good must've happened, and I hope that his feathers replace and remain ok. He needs a full out molt. I have been watching him like a hawk and swear he's not chewing on himself, unless it's happening over night when covered. During the days he chews on his sola ball, sisal rope, corn husk thing, and finger traps (finally!).

I guess the next step would be blood tests if the feather condition doesn't improve, but for now I'm waiting and seeing how things go since he is acting, eating, behaving completely normally (with no more smelly poops). This is why I've increased the pellet consumption because obviously something I was doing wasn't working for him specifically. He's also started inhaling scrambled eggs, which he wouldn't touch before. And I shortened their light cycle a tiny bit.

Oh, and @Dona guess what happens if you let him eat too much egg all at once? Yellow poop... about 3 hours later :)

-NG

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh I can't imagine separating the boys to get the samples. I bet it was harder on you seeing them so upset. I understand the hesitation with antibiotics. But it sounds like it might have been just what was needed for Sprite. I hope the good news continues.

When we went in this week for a physical, the doc said Gigi had some jagged feathers. They were just on one side and my husband guessed that it might be how she sleeps, smashed against her love interest toy. We will see how they look when they molt out and get replaced. Could Sprite be doing the same?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Well I had sort of wondered the same, if it was an environmental factor. Some of the medium feathers are jagged only on one side. His flight feathers are perfect. But the smaller feathers all over his back and the top of his wings and below his wings look like they've been munched on (he was cleared of having mites, btw). He and Jellybean do their thing together soooo often, and it does mean the leg of the other goes across the back. But I see them ball their feet up when they do that, so it's not like nails are raking. They do squish up next to the side of the cage when they sleep, and it's not always the same one on the outside when I cover them. They do move around after that however, and I don't know what they do.

I wondered if Jellybean was doing it, but his own feathers are fine, and the vet said no to that. The meds cleared up something it seems, so hopefully the feathers will get back to normal as well.

Oh the vet asked if there were any stressors. I said "yes, one of my other linnies is really loud and at times it stresses all of us out!" He didn't think that was very funny. Lol!!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
[QUOTE="NorthernGannet, post: 3337549, member: 32557"
Oh the vet asked if there were any stressors. I said "yes, one of my other linnies is really loud and at times it stresses all of us out!" He didn't think that was very funny. Lol!![/QUOTE]
One of my fave bird stories is that apparently Patagonian conures are so loud that they get on the nerves of other birds.