• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

VET INFO

2birdies

Moving in
I recently took the 2 cockatiels to the Vet that I have rescued, do to the feather loss, always shivering/shaking, They have drank out of a rusty metal bowl & had been drinking nasty water.
They haven't had proper sunlight or baths/misting. & they went from being in a front room with people to a quiet spare room. Anyways

The Vet found bacteria in their poop test. & sent me home with some Baytril to give them twice a day for 7 days, also Powder Vitamins to add to their water :)
She said pellets is a good idea to feed them other then all the seeds. She told me to give them sunlight / uva-uvb lamp, bath / mist , a humidifier would do good for them too, it wouldn't make the air so dry.
also to go get a cuddle bone. & from the outlook on the birds it just looks like they haven't been taking proper care of. So hopefully just the proper care for them will take care of everything & they will get better.
I will add some today photos & keep updates for those this might help. IMG_0946.JPG

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Those poor little tiels. Thank you for helping them and getting them vet checked. Did he test for metal toxicity by any chance? Yes diet is definitely important. If you can get them to eat some fresh food too that would help. It may take awhile for them to eat it- leafy greens, broccoli, squash, etc. You can try nutriberries too. Sometimes tiels will eat those easier than pellets and they're nutritionally equivalent.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nice to see you have offered a loving home to these two and are helping them heal. I wish you all the best on your journey, I´m sure they are both very happy to be with you :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad these two birds found you to give them a better life and to help them heal! I’m sure they will thrive in your care with better food and exercise. :heart:

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Awe poor sweet babies :( I’m so happy they’ve found such a great home with you.
Good luck with their road to recovery, please continue to update us. I love watching birds thrive in loving homes. The outcome is astonishing! Bless all of you:heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Lucky little birds to have found you.
Hoping they thrive and bloom for you.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, wee darlings! They've been through the mill, poor babes. I'm so happy that they have you now, and a bright future to look forward to. I wish you all the very best!

2birdies

Moving in
Thank you for all the kind reply's! She did not say anything about testing for anything else, I have realized that since I started the powder vitamins in their water,
they have not touched it in three days, I took the vitamin water out & replaced it with fresh water and they will not drink it. I even switched the color water bowls,
lol trying to trick them & that didn't work either :( , Maybe the baytril makes them not want to drink? or the vitamin water was so horrible they say screw this lol
They had no problem drinking the vitamin drops that I was adding to their water before I went to the vet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Poor tykes! I'd worry about organ failure, too!

Hopefully they are drinking the water, you just aren't seeing them drink it? I have one bird that I have never seen her take a drink of water in the several years that I've had her! But I know she's drinking!

2birdies

Moving in
We sat non stop & watched them today & they both are drinking now & drinking normally as they have been. I don`t even have to non stop watch to see them drinking again. they are back to normal drinkers :)
It had to of been the vitamins, they did not like it all. that`s my thought. sooo happy!
I have a ceramic heat lamp that I am using on them during the day. its about a foot & 1/2 away from the top of the cage & they still shake :(
I am starting to wonder if the warmth is bothering their baldness spots, it seems they both are rubbing there skin with their beak & messing with there back feathers.
unless they feel good & are cleaning themselves. They are able to move away from the heat if they want to, they are on their swings which is under the lamp mostly, so maybe it feels good?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If they are cold you could move the heat bulb closer to the cage and/or turn up the heat. They might also be shaking out of fear.

Dorcas George

Oh, poor little birds! I’m so glad they are with you, drinking and eating...and hopefully time brings calm and healing and trust. Wishing you all the best with these two tiels. Please keep us updated. :grouphug2:

2birdies

Moving in
I noticed something the other day, I figured it was just a thing but I have noticed it this morning again.
You know how a dog/cat reacts as soon as a flea bites them right? how they will move quickly to start biting at it, Well birdie will make a fast turn & start pecking at himself,
he will do it on his lower back & under his wing, If you can scroll up & look at the bird whos back is facing you, On his lower back you will see feathers that are either growing in or coming out.
Could one of those be the issue? Has anyone heard of a parasite called Giardia?The vet just told me that they had bateria. I am going to call Monday & ask a few more questions. I do not have money to keep going back & forth
I have cats a dog a lizard & a bird of my own. I just want these birdies to get better, they are to young to go down hill.

2birdies

Moving in
Another thing that I just now noticed :( On the male both sides of his nose is totally closed/blocked.

Attachments

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Are you taking them back to the Vet? They usually do a nasal flush as part of an exam.
So nice you rescued them. They will be your little treasures as you nurse them back to health.
Have you had birds before?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I noticed something the other day, I figured it was just a thing but I have noticed it this morning again.
You know how a dog/cat reacts as soon as a flea bites them right? how they will move quickly to start biting at it, Well birdie will make a fast turn & start pecking at himself,
he will do it on his lower back & under his wing, If you can scroll up & look at the bird whos back is facing you, On his lower back you will see feathers that are either growing in or coming out.
Could one of those be the issue? Has anyone heard of a parasite called Giardia?The vet just told me that they had bateria. I am going to call Monday & ask a few more questions. I do not have money to keep going back & forth
I have cats a dog a lizard & a bird of my own. I just want these birdies to get better, they are to young to go down hill.
Yes, I have a hen right now that is as you describe. Well, kind of.... she'll often be preening herself then all of a sudden, she'll stop at her back and pick at her back. Sometimes she makes herself bleed! So far, we haven't determined *WHY* she does this, but she needs further testing to rule out more possibilities. Unfortunately, the vets office that wants to do this is 2 ours away and they want me to drop her off in the middle of the week.... I work Monday through Friday... Past two weeks, I've been working before this clinic even opens and work until after they close. Even if I get off at my normal time and drove down there, they'd be closed!

As for the male with the blocked nostril.... could be a vitamin A deficiency from a poor diet.... both appear as if they might have liver failure...

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
both appear as if they might have liver failure...
I'm sorry I'll have to pull you on that. You are not a vet so you can't suggest that. There are other causes for yellowing feathers including vitamin deficiencies, something you have also suggested.

Last edited:

2birdies

Moving in
I have a very healthy cockatiel, me & my mom has always had teils well over 40 years. these birds was my moms but she went into depression after her sister passed away, She took care of the birds but let the water go a few days before changing it, they was drinking out of a metal bowl that the coating wore off & went rusty in 2 of the corners, she fed them they never went without eating & they was talked to but not to much just when being fed or if someone went
into that room for something. I do plan on taking them to the vet again. she even told me that the nose was clogged but I figured the antibiotics was going to help, I took it for granted thats what she was talking about. I never had any issues with any of my birds ever. but it is messed up that she did not clean the nose out for me then if thats what they should have done. So she finds a bacteria in there poop & gives me vitamins that they are not drinking, so is this antibiotic supposed to help there feathers & the shaking, I do not think so, I even asked the vet if it could be something else. but she said theres a lot of bad bacteria in poop. so more money to go back for another apt. more money for new meds im sure & more money for the exam. smh we`ll see in a few more days of the medicine. I feel so bad for them Am I able to post videos on here?